Dalmation90
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool How old are we...vollie edition

Well, Ed started an interesting thread up in the career forum. And it might be interesting to see the same from the vollie side. One thing, I'm sure the "social dynamic" is a bit different in vollie companies were we probably have more late-teen early-twentysomethings (a/k/a young bucks) and older members (a/k/a old sh*ts) around.

I feel a bit wet behind the ears after reading most of the ages up on Ed's column, but I start it off:

I'm 29, joined at 16 (btw, 16 is full membership in my department, just no SCBA or Power Tools use at calls till your 18, and no driving till 21)

morriss
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I'm in too. I'm 33 and joined as a junior FF at 16. Our department allows full membership at 18 and driving at 21. Each of these requires the normal certifications and training.

In my department, we have a 72 year old that is an active member (he doesn't do interior FF) and several members around 65. Only one of these still does SCBA operations. Most are driver/operators.

craig7404
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I'm 39 and been a volunteer ff sense I was 16. Our oldest is the Chief at around 70 and the youngest is 28 although my stepson 12 goes with me and does help to pull hose after the fire is out and clean up around the fire station. Our problem is getting the younger kids to stay interested and active in between alarms. Until 1999 we averaged only 95 calls per year. Some of you younger guys do make me feel old.HA HA

------------------
    Good Luck And Be Safe
    Captain
    Craig Lambert

Dalmation90
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

We do have one member, an ex-Chief and 45+ year member who is 67...and still fully interior certfied -- SCBA fit test, annual SCBA recert, and doctor's clearance to go with keeping up his training time.

Aff
    Firehouse.com Guest

I am also 33. Started fire fighting in 1985 as a member of a ships fire dept(flying squad) in the navy. Have been a member of Oakdale since March '97.

Stay safe...
    Mark

SNOWMAN
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

I'm celebrating the 15th Anniversary of my 29th birthday (it used to make me feel better when I put it that way)!! It is very reassuring to see all you "young pups" involved with the volunteer service. Many of you make posts that are very mature and insightful. Firefighting is a young man's game and I'm glad to see that, for the most part, it is in very capable hands! A New Year's toast to all of you!!

FF McDonald
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

I'm 24, got started in my town's Junior FD when I was 16, and became a Senior member when I turned 18. Spent 6 years in the Marine Corps, and volunteered with local Departments that were near bases I was stationed at. What can I say-- It's in the blood, and I love doing it. Trying to become a "paid" Firefighter.

Marc

Barbara Lambert
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hi, I am 32, a semi young female ha ha. but I don't feel to old. I think it is good to have younger members. They can pick up alot of slack, and really can be an advantage to the Fire Department, even though they have to be a certain age to use certain tools or drive a truck. They can be of alot of assistance providing they are careful. Then they can work their way up the ladder. And plus their bodies can probably withstand maybe more than the older ones can.

------------------
    BE SAFE
    FIREFIGHTER 7424
    BARBARA LAMBERT

Fire207
    Firehouse.com Guest

I'm 35 (36 in 5 days), stared when i was 22. Our average age is probably in the 30's.

------------------
    Bruce Shanabarger
    Captain/Investigator

"Bustin' Ours To Save Yours"

T ony Hartman
    Firehouse.com Guest

I started when I was 18 as a full member. We have and age range from late 60 to early 20's.

PTFD21
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Like Fire207 I am 35 and I started when I was 23. I spent 5 yrs with a paid on call dept., I started out running about 35 calls a year and had 18 members. When I left they were doing about 250 runs a year (mostly medicals) and I had made Lt.
    I am now with a combination dept. with 8 (soon to be 14) fulltime and 40 paid on call that ran 2000+ runs last year (1999). I am one of two fire investigators, which I started doing about 9 years ago (with my old dept.)
    The average age of our dept is in the mid to upper 20's. It has lowered quite a bit in the last few years with older members who have not been active, retiring..

------------------
    ED C.
    PTFD21@firehousemail.com
    "Doin' it for lives and property !"
    Pittsfield Twp. Fire Dept.

[This message has been edited by PTFD21 (edited January 02, 2000).]

FD111
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

I'm 27, started when I was 14 in an explorers program. When I turned 16 I became a junior member. I am currently with a combination department with 11 paid and about 25 vollies.Our average age is in the early to mid 30's.

Jim M.
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Wow, what a bunch of spring chickens! I'm 53 and still love being a volunteer. I got interested in firefighting as a teen in the Boy Scouts. After military service we settled in small town America and I joined the FD. Nicest bunch of people in the world. Coming up on 30 years now and still enjoying it.

e33
    Firehouse.com Guest

Well, I am 22. I am not just any 22 year old kid, I have had the opportunity to experience many things most 22 year old (Firefighters) kids havent and have gotten some of the best training available in my 6 and a half years of service. I have obtained many certifications including instructor level certs. and continue to attend courses nationwide. I joined the Fd when I was 15 and the Rescue Squad when I was 14. The minimum ages of both have been since raised to 16. I have been an entry level line officer for 2 years now and currently appointed to engineer at the FD. Junior time was a valuable experience for me to soak in my environment and helped fufill my childhood dream to be a fireman. I hope to pursue a career in firefighting. I am very interested in the managment aspect and enjoy passing knowledge to new members. I spend a large amount of my time researching issues and furthering my education. I am also a full time college student on top of working part time. I get alot of grief from people because I am only 22 and can be very vocal sometimes. The biggest thing I think I need is life experience. Learning from your mistakes can be painful but helps you become a better person. Its also difficult to try to hold yourself to the standards of older expericed members when you are young. I am a believer that training is great, experience is a multiplier.

------------------
    The opinions and views expressed herin are solely mine and not on the behalf of any department or organization I belong to.

[This message has been edited by e33 (edited April 26, 2000).]

monte
    Firehouse.com Guest

I'm 51, I've been involved with wildland fire for 33 years and structure fire, etc. for 13 years. Without a doubt, interest and physical fitness are the only two ingredients that allow me to continue these passions at the level I like. I have found tactics and tactical reasoning to be the cornerstone of good and bad decisions, and consequently I follow lines of thought that relate to both of these topics. Fitness, bar none, allows me to be active, involved, and thankful for the ability to be there. As I write this, I have the flu, go figure.

[This message has been edited by monte (edited January 03, 2000).]

craig7404
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

A good mix of youth and older firefighters in here so far. This is a fun topic to read and to see the ages of the firefighters in here. Thank Dalmation 90 for starting it.

------------------
    Good Luck And Be Safe
    Captain
    Craig Lambert

Bob Snyder
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I'm 33 and first joined the fire service when I was just a few weeks shy of 16. The oldest two active members we have at our station are in their late 50s, about half of our crew is between 30 and 39, and there are about a half dozen in their late teens to mid twenties. As of this month, we'll have no juniors (14-18) at all for the first time in decades, and that's a real shame.

chief4102
    Firehouse.com Guest

I'll be 52 in a couple of months. Where did the time go? Joined the department in 1968 at 20 years of age. We have a couple of guys who are older than me and a few in their 40s. Most of our members are in their 20s and 30s. It seems that it is getting harder to find new young people to volunteer doesn't it?

Be Safe
    Dan

Frank Allen
    Firehouse.com Guest

Great topic.

I am a 23 y/o volunteer firefighter. I have been on the dept. since I was 16 (full membership at the time). I have about 30 state and county level certifications under my belt. I am incharge of getting new recruits, and that is were I am having problems. As of next month we will have no junior members in the dept. I have put ads in the papers, signs out front and even gone door to door looking for some younge blood. Please tell me what your dept. does to recruit new members.

------------------
    "Volunteer and proud to be that way" To All firefighters paid professionals and VOLUNTEER PROFESSIONALS stay safe and go home tonight.

chf jstano
    Firehouse.com Guest

Really hate to admit I'll turn 45 in three weeks.Started as a junior when I was 15 {thirty years does fly when you're having fun)and have hung in there ever since.I'm now asst. chief.We have members from 18 to 70's.There is some spot for every body, be it firefighter,firepolice or fund raising.And those senior members have a wealth of knowledge and experience that you just can't read from a book.

Cap'n L
    Firehouse.com Guest

I'm 36 and have been on my dept for 9 years now, we have 20 members rangeing in age from mid 20's to our chief 67. And yes finding new members is getting harder.

mesha
    Firehouse.com Guest

Well I'm a young 44 and been at it for close to 20 years and hoping after amalgamation of our FD with seven others I can add a few more years to the service. Like many other FD's we have seen the age demographics change these last few years and it is good to see the new young faces and their enthusiasm
    Tim Bennett, Walden Fire Department,Ontario, Canada

1stResponder
    Firehouse.com Guest

I'm 20. Joined at 18 (full membership age). This June will be my 3rd year and will then be allowed to drive trucks.

pvfr fyrfyter
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

32yrs old going on 33 in april. joined the dept. at 16 as an explorer but started responding much younger because dad was on the dept. In '72 went to first call (age 5) had to get tanker to wash down diesel fuel from 10-44 (accident without injuries). got to run siren and have been hooked ever since. on small vol. dept. that averages 20-25 runs a year and averages about 1 structure fire a year. don't plan on ever retiring but just plan to self combust at about 70-75 when my body won't let me keep up with the kids anymore. 6 mos. ago I was second youngest on dept with 13 members but had 5 new join in last 3 mos who are all younger.

HarrisonJR
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I am 27 years old and joined 4 years ago after I moved back to the area I grew up in that has a vol. dept. Reasons I joined were that as a kid I had lived at a dangerous intersection that average an MVA every 3-4 weeks and got used to calling 911 and witnessing and sometimes even helping the vollies at the MVA's and enjoyed helping people. Also my best friend is on the dept. and hearing him talk about fires I got hooked and joined. Love being part of EMS & Fire and probably will do it till I get too old that they kick me off!

Thread Information