Thread: life as a vol

pvfr fyrfyter
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question life as a vol

as a 32 yr old second generation volunteer with 12.5 yrs of hands on and almost 21 yrs of station response am i the norm or am i just a little different. How many others out there are second generation? How many are working to get a second or third generation involved?

ChiefDog
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I wouldn't say we are the norm but you are not alone. I am third generation, 32 going on 33. Like you I went to the station with my dad and it is the reason I am now Chief. Without that time of going and learning before I was 18 I would not be where I am today.

I have an almost 2 year old son who may or may not want to follow me to the station. I do not want to push him towards or away from it. I do hope he chooses to go with Dad like I did.

People have different reasons for belonging and the ones who are part of the department for generations are not doing it for the lights and sirens.

T ony Hartman
    Firehouse.com Guest

I too am a second generation vol. I also went to the stationwith my dad as my daughter now does with me. On our department this is not unusual because my dad and I are one of three father/son firefighters teams that are actived on the department. We also have four members whoes fathers were members when they joined.

Medic019
    Firehouse.com Guest

I'm 30 years old and got my start in the Fire Department by going with my Dad at about 8 to 10 years of age. The Department had many second - even third & fourth generation FF's.

I still remember going down to the FD with my Dad and being smaller then the tires on the Pumper...

I have 4 girls ( ages 3 to 10 ) and take them down to the FD with me when I got work to do down there...They love going down and looking at the trucks and helping me wash them or work on whatever it is I have to do there. Hopefully one of them (if not all of them) will follow in my footsteps and provide the community with their talents when they get older. I like ChiefDog don't want to force them, just keep my fingers crossed

------------------
    Firefighter/Paramedic in Northwest Pennsylvain... Stay Safe

craig7404
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I'm a second generation firefighter to, as was my older brother, before he retired. The fire dept I am a Captain in my father helped to start. I sent move of my childhood at my brothers station in Dallas Tx. when my dad went down there to see my brother. My dad did not become a firefighter until he retired from the business sect. but it was already in my blood. I have one daughter who is 15 now and she has spent a great deal of time at my station, but she is more into the ems side of my dept. My stepson who is 12 loves to go on the calls and watch from a save area and says he will join as a junior ff as soon as he is 16, so I guess you could say he is following in my footsteps.
    But to me and some of my ff buddies there is alot of second and third generation ff because as it is said, it is in the blood of families and it gets passed on every generation.

------------------
    Good Luck And Be Safe
    Captain
    Craig Lambert

Fyrball105
    Firehouse.com Guest

I'm a 25 year old, 3rd gen. vol.firefighter, I've got 10 years on the dept. we have a jr. Squad here that starts at 15 to give the younger people a headstart on training, but have to wait to fight fire at 18. My father was chief, and I was always around, I have a 14 y.o. nephew waiting for his chance to step in and run his calls with us. I think the fire dept. was very imporant in helping me though things and has helped my parents from having to worry if I was out, being up to no good, very good at keeping me from getting in trouble I think..

morriss
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

I am a second generation too. My brother is also a member. We have members in our department that are third generation and many multiple second generation families.

FyredUp
    Firehouse.com Guest

Second generation too.

At one time my Dad, my brother, my sister and my wife were all members of the FD.

Heck I started going to the FD with my Dad as soon as I could walk and my boys did the same with me here. They love it there and can't wait until they are old enough to join. Even now if I have a work detail they tag along and help where they can.

Fire207
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

I am a third generation f.f., I joined while my dad was still on the dept. I have a 12 year old and a 7 year old. I hope that one or both follow in the family foot steps, but I won't push the issue.

------------------
    Bruce Shanabarger
    Captain/Investigator

"Bustin' Ours To Save Yours"

bigbarnyard
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I recently Joined the Lee Center Fire Dept. I NY. I joined as a junior. just this month I was upgraded to the active FF. position. I love what I do. I have gotten several people to consider joining. I'm the only one in my family that is involved with the Fire Dept. Our dept has alot of father/son groups. I think it is one of the best things about our Dept. A dept that has alot of family back ground helps.

TKirk
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

I am a 2nd Generation, and I hope my kids will continue to carry on. My Father and Brother have both retired, and my Mother spent 24 years as our dispatcher. Talk about quality family time.

McCall
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

I am a first generation firefighter in my family. I was always interested in fire/ems though, I did not have any connection to anyone in a FD.

As far as following in my footsteps is concerned, both my 13 and my 8 year old nephews think their uncle is nuts. They love to ask me "why would you run into a burning building, when everyone else is running out?" Go figure. I'll guess we'll have to wait to see what my 6 month old niece thinks...

Terry McCall
    Marbletown Fire Dept.
    SAVAC of Oswego

esemans55
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

I am 38 been around firehouse for all my life.We have 3 sets 2nd generation,and 1 3rd generation firefighter's.We are a small company in need of more people.If anyone has sugestions please reply.

------------------

pvfr fyrfyter
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

Thanks for the replies. Its nice to know that I am not alone in doing what I do. Keep the replies coming in, nice to hear from others who walk in the same shoes that I do.

FIREEMT2509
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

IM KINDA A THIRD GENERATION, MY GRANDPA ON MY MOMS SIDE THEN MY DAD THEN ME. MY DAD IS A CAPTAIN ON MY TOWN DEPT. WITH 34 YRS. AND IM ON THERE TOO WITH 5 YRS., BUT IM HOPING TO GO FULL TIME SOMEDAY. I HOPE MY KIDS WILL FOLLOW IN MY FOOTSTEPS TOO!!!!

dc45b
    Firehouse.com Guest

I am the first generation in my family that joined the fire service. But my dad was the fire department insurance agent and photographer. I went with him to all the calls in the community. I was the mascot at the station. Now i have been in the fire service, my wife is a firefighter/EMT, my oldest son is a firefighter/EMT and youngest son is in the process of joining. Just remember that we have to recurit younger people to replace us older ones.

Mike
    Assistant Chief
    Marlboro VFD
    PG County, MD

Thread Information