Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sullivan
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down Diesel Fuel prices too high for volunteer fire companies!

In pennsylvania, the price of diesel fuel raised almost $1.00 in 24 hours from 2/6-2/7.
    To fill a tanker with 20 gallons, it came to almost $45.00. How does this effect your Volunteer department? Will it mean any cut backs in supplies, such as heating oil, and other necessary supplies?

NUMBY
    Firehouse.com Guest

I dont know how it is in other states. But here in Ky there is a tax of 33 cents on every gallon of fuel which doesnt matter if it is gasoline or deisel. We purchase our fuel from the county which gets it through state contract, which is exempt from the tax. Im sure the extra 33 cents a gallon adds up to be a lot when you are burning up 100 gallons a week. You might want to check the county or state departments in yuor area such as public works or road departments, you might be able to buy from them, just an idea.

[This message has been edited by NUMBY (edited February 07, 2000).]

LMRCap1
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cost for Diesel is cheaper than regular gas by 10 to 15 cents. I know that doesn't mean much but when we fill the trucks with $110 for the 4 trucks it can add up. To make matters worse tonight on the news they said gas was at a 19 year high and expected to go much higher over the next couple of months. I agree the price is to high but what are we to do we need the fuel.

smitheps
    Firehouse.com Guest

Even though diesel prices may be high, we must remember that the diesel moter has revolutionized the fire apparatus of the 20th and 21st century in terms of water flow capabilities and the current diesel prices are simply a price to pay for the ability to flow 1750-2000 gpm from a single engine. Prices will drop again...they always do

Lieutenant Gonzo
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

We get our diesel fuel and gasoline at the Department of Public Works garage. It's purchased in bulk and the fuel costs come out of our Department's operations budget. It sounds like you fill your trucks at a service station. Perhaps you can get together with other VFD's in your area and arrange a bulk purchase of diesel to lower the costs.

------------------
    Take care and be safe...Lt. Gonzo

[This message has been edited by Lieutenant Gonzo (edited February 08, 2000).]

Medic019
    Firehouse.com Guest

Sullivan,

Check with your local State office, I know for a fact you can get a refund on the taxes paid on your fuel for the aparatus..We got a form mailed to us to be filled out and submitted for reimbursement...It would be worth your while to check this out, if you need any info on this go ahead and email me and I'll get more specific.

------------------
    Firefighter/Paramedic in Northwest Pennsylvania... Stay Safe

DD
    Firehouse.com Guest

Today's pump price for #2 diesel was $1.22. Up some, but not too bad. Unleaded 87 octane gas was $1.39. Up about a quarter in the last couple of weeks.

Chief Taylor
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

Yes, I am going to have too take monies from an equipment account to cover my departments fuel bills for the year, it is a real bummer. I am even getting a lot of flack from my Town Council members. Even though I do not think I am spending that much. So far about 2500.00 for the year.

MembersZone Subscriber

I came across this and thought this was hillarious. It was bad then, and now it is worse...If this forum is here in 6 more years...lets check it out and see what the price is then.

Great bump! We just submitted our yearly budget, doubling the amount for fuel for next year.
    We're not spliting rocket hairs here people!

Training is like building a pyramid, if you want it to last, you don't built it pointy side down!

MembersZone Subscriber firefighterbeau's Avatar

One dept here spent $3000 in the last month on fuel.

Forum Member

Hehe.... we use what we call "farm diesel" for our trucks here. No tax, dyed red, and God help you if you put it in a POV and get caught. Doesn't matter where we fill up, the fuleman cards get us the fuel at the negotiated county rate. I think we're paying about $2.30 a gallon right now.

Forum Member

Medic019 is correct, in PA your department can get reimbursed for the state tax on the fuel. Check with your municipality as they also get reimbursed for the fuel tax. One thing your department will need to start doing if they don't already is get reciepts for all the fuel purchased so you have the total gallons purchased. Or if you have your own fuel tank, keep track of how many gallons used for each appratus. When we had a fuel tank we kept track in a little note book.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Can't have anymore fun

With the prices as high as they are we have had to cut back on extra curricular activities. We usually attend between 5 to 7 parades a year, but this year it's going to be 2. Alot of the members look forward to going to the parades as way to show their pride in the department and the companies they represent. We'll see what happens. Our town budget got voted in after 3 times. Our fire department budget was cut but I don't know how badly.

Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

We get our fuel at the school district bus garage in our fire district. It has the following advantages:

Low cost due to state bid fuel

Pumps are Open 24/7 (we have a key to the gate)

Accountability - Each vehicle has a special fuel key to that vehicle and it will only pump the amount to fill the tank. Each member has a PIN that must be entered to get fuel so we can see who is performing that task.

Reports are available to track fuel consumption

We really haven't had any negative experiences YET.
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Wren, MS Until the forum gremlins pay a visit!

I went to top off 3 trucks today, Rescue was on half....$55.00, Main pumper just over half.....$50.00, 6 X 6 was on a forth of a tank....$100.00.
    Chief
    Wren Volunteer Fire Department
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

http://www.wrenfiredepartment.4t.com/

In Memory of:
    FireFighter/Pilot James Archer
    1946-2005
    "Rest in peace James, you now have the ultimate set of wings on you."

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

We did Columbus trip in the Ambo last night. Was 114.00 to fill it up
    Training does not make perfect. Training makes permanent!

IACOJ probie

Forum Member

I posted that..

Last time we fueled that same truck, it cost $140.

State gives us a percentage back based on fuel records and mileage. Unlike six years ago, we have taxes now that help out, nothing gets cut short. And no more constant fundraising!

In 2000, the operational cost for the dept. (Gas, Disel, fuel oil, inspections, insurance and upkeep) was $89,000.00. Today it costs over $125,000. I don't want to imagine what it will be in ten years!

Forum Member

I am not sure what we pay but it is less than at the pump. Our station has a 200 gallon above ground tank outside the station. Of course I remember when we first got it that we were paying about .85 a gallon.

Forum Member

Now its 2008 and were paying 4.10 a gallon geez

Thread Information