Preston Price
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry Changing Federal Benefits Rule

I have long heard that the leading cause of death in firefighters i heart attack. If this is true or remotely true why will the Federal Gov not pay benefits to firefighters who have a fatal heart attack on a fire scene? Who can I contact for help with this.
    Let's try to work this out and at least allow the families to recieve something.

------------------

George Wendt, CFI
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

Not to sound cold and calous, BUT

I think that the Federal Government would be absolutely justified in changing the requirements for the PSOB as soon as the fire service agrees to accept minimum physical requirements and mandatory annual physicals as a requirement for staying in the department.

That will make many of you mad. But answer me this...How many 300 lb. emergency service workers do we have? How many emergency service workers do we have who smoke 2 packs a day? How many emergency service workers do we have whose idea of exercise is walking up the stairs to get in the building?

Sorry, until we take care of ourselves, they shouldn't change the requirements.

Preston Price
    Firehouse.com Guest

George I understand what you are saying, BUT
    let us be realistic. We are hurting the volunteer firefighters that do not receive any compensation at all for their time, and are doing this between family and work. In the rural areas where alot of us live we are lucky to have the volunteers we have. City's can afford to be selective but what if YOU knew that if you were lucky when the alarm goes out tonight you would have maybe three show up to help? Put yourself in our position and see our view. I have worked as a paid firefighter so I can see both sides. We volunteers struggle just to have turnouts and air-packs that the Gov. does not help with. I feel that the PSOB is aimed toward paid fireman. That is wrong when the majority of the firefighting population are volunteer.

------------------

George Wendt, CFI
    Firehouse.com Guest

First of all, I am not a paid FF, I am a 24 year volunteer. Secondly, I strongly disagree with you that the PSOB is geared toward paid fire fighters. It addresses all fire fighters. There cannot and should not be a double standard. Simply because a person chooses to fight fires for free does not mean he should be rewarded for being out of shape. Sometimes the cardiac problem is congenital or chronic. Should the federal government have to pay for that, too?

The PSOB is awarded to the survivors of emergency service workers who suffer traumatic OTJ injuries and death. Paid or volunteer. Reducing the criteria would be a mistake. What should they do next, relax their standards about ETOH on board because "We're just volunteers"?

When the volunteer fire service stops trying to get by on a double standard, that is the day they will be taken seriously by the paid fire fighters.

Pizan
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Being a Career and POP Firefighter, I have to agree with George. I workout no less than 2-3 days a week, because I do not want to die of an MI. Even on my carrer department we have a couple guys who are pushing their heart a lot harder than it should have to, by being extremly overwieght.

------------------
    Frank Ricci

Thread Information