Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    pfpchief
    Firehouse.com Guest

i am chief of one company in a 3 company town if we get 10 guys at a call between the 3 its a mircle.we can cover the smells and bells this way but not any kind of working job.we have a mutual aid agreement with all our neighbors. if we call they come and we go if they call .we just do the best we can. thank God for 2nd shift guys or we would be hard pressed to get that many

bob1350
    Firehouse.com Guest

This is a problem that we as volunteers and those of us that are leaders on the dept. need to address now. Our dept has about 60 members and we may get 2-3 for a daytime response. Ours is a combo dept. and the career chief rightly criticizes us for not geeting a good daytime repsonse. We've changed our by-laws to allow those who do not live in the district but work here to join so they can respond. We are also going to visit local businesses and try to recruit for daytime response. If I have a day off from work, I try run every call I can, just to make the numbers look good.

bowstringtruss
    Firehouse.com Guest

BUT ISN'T IT FUNNY HOW THEY ALL SEEM TO SHOW UP FOR THE BIG ONE! (HA HA)
    --------------------------------------------
    IT SEEMS LIKE A LOT OF US FACE THE SAME PROBLEM HERE. THE QUESTION IS WHAT DO WE DO ABOUT IT?
    SEEK GOVT $$ FOR PAID DAYLIGHT CREWS? CAN WE GET THE POLITICIANS TO OPEN THEIR WALLETS?
    HOW ABOUT RECRUIT MORE PEOPLE? WHAT PEOLPE? OUR TOWN IS MOSTLY SENIORS, KIDS, - AND THOSE SAME KIDS PARENTS - WHO NOT ONLY DON'T HAVE TIME FOR FIREFIGHTING, THEY DON'T EVEN HAVE TIME FOR THEIR KIDS!
    IT GETS PRETTY SAD WHEN YOU HAVE TO ROLL 3 FIRE COMPAMIES JUST TO GET ENOUGH MANPOWER TO SAW UP A DOWNED TREE!!
    HOPEFULLY WE CAN COME UP WITH A SOLUTION SOON!

sarg226
    Firehouse.com Guest

During the day we are covered pretty well compared to other areas. i belong to a vollie dept. The trucks roll driver only a lot during the day but we have a lot of guys who can leave work and our retired guys help out tremendously. During the day the basic idea is get the truck there and the personnel will meet you.

FFShooty
    Firehouse.com Guest

For years, our Department has not had any problems rolling with a full crew, (driver, Officer, and at least 4 FF's) within 3-4 minutes during the day. We're luck to have understanding employers here who allow us to leave, mine included. One day it is going to happen though. We're all getting older and we don't seem to be getting any quality or total committment out of the newer generations. We've been fortunate for years, but how much longer can we get by? As far as mutual aid goes, if jurisdictions have the agreements in place and the companies are willing, I think it's great that Departments are working together. To infer that mutual aid is only for the "Big One" is ludicrous. We're all in this for the same reason. Anyone Agree?

Stay Low....

------------------
    Go Right for Sirens and Lights!

VVFC2LT
    Firehouse.com Guest

With only 9 active ff, we rely on our retired members and mutual aid. Most of the retired crew are guys that can drive, pump and wear SCBA. Also, some of our active members work night term and can respond during the day. Working for the County Emergency Management/Fire Marshal's Office, I can respond if it is a confirmed structure fire. Enough can't be said for mutual aid. For the hours of 0600 to 1800, an automatic second and third department is used. At night, depending on the call, a second department is also dispatched.

ResQRev
    Firehouse.com Guest

In our department (both Fire and EMS) we were forced last year into hiring a paid medic from 7 am to 4 pm. Coupled with the house man, they form a skeleton EMS crew if we are unable to get the volunteers out. The house man also has become the driver of the first due engine.

Our commissioners were very concerned that the hiring of the paid medic would cause an uprising among the volunteers, but since the system was implemented it has been very well accepted by the volunteers. Thank goodness!

Being that our department is 110 years old and has been all volunteer throughout this time, it has taken some adjustment in attitude.

Daytime fire response is around 10 on a good day, about 60 at night. During the day we automatically have mutual aid respond in on any confirmed working structure fire, which has proven to be a necessity and a blessing.

Seems to me that the volunteer system is being challenged in ways that we never have been before: An exponential increase in alarms (largely due to the mandated automatic alarms in our town for all commercial structures--A challenge, because sometimes we get up to 10 calls a day and volunteers just can't give that much time), and, of course, the updated and continuous trainining demands. Bottom line is that in our area we just are not able to get people who have 40 hours a week to donate to their community for service and training as a firefighter, work their two paying jobs, and be with their families at the same time.

I really wish I knew an answer to this problem without having to resort to a paid department, but to me a professional department is the logical outcome of today's situation in our area. It's a sad day... (We're running out of ways to creatively "keep going" as a volunteer dept.)

------------------
    Rev. John G. Fleischmann
    Director
    Suffolk Co. NY CISM Team

atc10
    Firehouse.com Guest

In regards of recruiting for daytime response. Targeting areas of the community to bolster daytime response sounds like a good idea. There is another area that needs to be addressed as well. Daytime responses (in my district at least) are much more numerous than nighttime. This results (from personal experience) in alot of calls where to be quite honest there is not a need for much manpower. Needless to say the end result is not a lot of sleep, and a tremendous amount of burnout. It seems to me that a recruitment like this needs to be coupled with a system that matches manpower called/toned with manpower needed on scene.

st34ff
    Firehouse.com Guest

Mutial add is not for just the big one. The other day (about 1:30pm), we had a wreck where the car rolled over. On our rescue truck, out of the 5(!) people we got, only 2 were VRT Techs. We hit out another Rescue and another engine to cover the bird if it flew (which it didn't). If we didn't call the extra trucks, well, it wouldn't be pretty.

Kyle

Brian Dunlap
    Firehouse.com Guest

My department being an all Volunteer Department has always been able to at least respond 2 out of our 4 pieces of equipment during the day {Engine and Ladder} because of our compliment of second and third shift workers..{I'm one of the third shift workers} We rely heavily on mutial aid between 0600hrs. and 1800hrs. during the week because of the amount of our guys who are at work {over 30 of them} We due draw between 6-10 daytime members depending on the call and the time of day....Early Mornings before 9am and late afternoons around 3-4 o'clock are our bad times

mark440
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

We have approx. 30 members. Most days we are lucky to fill a 3 person squad. On a structure call we can usually get a 3 person engine, 1 person engine, 1 person medical unit, and a chief officer on a daytime call. Depending on situation on arrival of first in rig, mutual aid is requested. We have very little 2-3 shift workers. I work as dispatcher, with no set schedule, and voluteer for grave shifts to be in city during the peak hours. On a slow day I only have to get out of bed 3 times. But I gladly trade my sleep to help those in need.

Mark

------------------
    If in doubt - Call us out

D.SCHWER
    Firehouse.com Guest

Daytime alarms

For those that carry mandatory minimum fire call attendance, do day time calls count against maintaining a minimum percentage?

Do you expell members that do not maintain percentages

Volunteer...some has to do it!

FireChief600
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

The answer to this question is very simple...for some of you OLDER guys, this may be a hard pill to swallow....RECRUIT WOMEN! They are usually at home during the day time!
    Also,recruit members that work in your community, and try to get your local industries to let members out of work if an alarm come in during the day (on the clock if possible ). This may be tough, but try to convince them that it would be a service to the community.

Chief Matt Harmon,EMT-IV
    Paulette VFD
    ICQ#17898671

Looper
    Firehouse.com Guest

In our area, many of the departments have gone to some form of a "paid" day crew. As far as I know, there are no full time positions, each dept just uses a large group of part timers. None of them pay enough to live on -- most guys treat it as a "side job". (Yes, I kmow this technically makes us "combination" departments).

The basic idea is to garuantee the first truck out the door in 60 seconds. In my Dept, the day crew also performs routine maintenance, handles most PR events, does the preplans & inspections, and handles a lot of the little "errands" that need to be done to keep 3 stations and 8 trucks up and running.

The daytime crew, and the people just hanging out at the stations, will usually handle all the "BS" calls (single truck). This has kept out response times low and will help out then next time ISO comes around.

If we get a stucture fire, we can usually still pull at least 5 or 6 trucks and have 15-20 people on the first alarm.

We also use "Community Service" people (yes, the ones who were sentenced to it!) for general mainenance like cutting the grass, washing the trucks, cleaning the station (one of them is 19,500 sq.ft.) and things like that.

Our department is lucky, in that we have a bunch of people who work as career fire/ems and are on 24/48 shifts, as well as several guys who work night shift (4 police officers & an aircraft mechanic).

Thread Information