lbfdfirefighter
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking Being at College and not on call

Hi, I am currently a freshman at Purdue University and a volunteer fire fighter with the Lake Bluff Fire Department in Illinois. Just wanted to know if any other volunteers out there are at college and are not able to be on call do to the fact that they aren't home and really miss it. I run to the window every time a rig goes by and it drives me crazy. Am I the only one who does that or am I not alone?

------------------
    Safety first, then the hero stuff, or is it the other way?

rescue3
    Firehouse.com Guest

hi! believe me, you aren't alone. there are three firefighters in our department that are at college and i know they miss it - not just the calls and the drills, but the firefighters too. i will be away at college this fall and i am already wondering how i'm going to survive! i know several colleges have student volunteers on their departments, does purdue?

------------------
    rescue3
    "You go...we go"

lbfdfirefighter
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Rescue 3 thanks for replying. I miss my friends back home a lot, and the bomd that has formed. Even though I am in a franernity, it doesn't compare at all. And no, Purdue doesn't have a volunteer fd, i checked my second day down here. And matter of fact, they don't even have fire fighting classes. The Chief is trying though and maybe next semester?

rescue3
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

no problem...hang in there and learn as much as you can while you're away.

------------------
    rescue3
    "You go...we go"

dimab
    Firehouse.com Guest

Let me tell you, you are not alone. I'm away at school my first year too. I miss every time I see a car with lights roll by (esp. a fire truck). But it's awesome when I get chances to come home and be on call. It's one of the best things that I look forward to when I come home.

N2DFire
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

All of you College Guys & Gals hang in there. I was in your shoes when I was away in College too.
    I noticed that some of you have checked with the Local FD already, but I'd like to put that idea out there again. Stop by and ask if they have ride along programs or the like.

The Vollie FD that I belong to gets 1 or 2 new firefighters from the local college every year. We welcome anyone who's interested whether they are trained or not (Obviously the untrained get more support type jobs on the fire ground till we can get them certified). I am also a Medic with the Vollie Rescue Squad and we also take college students. It's been a great system for us and we would highly recomend any agency to consider it regardless of whether they are paid or volunteer.

And if any of you get really really desperate - your welcome to transfer down here and run with us any time - be glad to have ya.

Stay Safe

Tom Lafleur
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Been there done that lol. In the early 70s I was at school in Baltimore. Took a lot of pics of the BFD in action.I was chomping at the bit, but what can you do. I've got one pic where BFD had more hose on the street than we have in our entire dept.
    Stay Safe

DeWittFire196
    Firehouse.com Guest

I know what you mean, about the rigs and such. I am currently a vol in a department in Central New York, unfortunaly I am heading up to Milwaukee this summer for school, I am thinking of trying to join a vol department up there but I am right in the city and its going to be tough. I was wondering, have any of you just walked into a station and started up conversations?
    Stay Safe,
    DeWittFire196

Haligan125
    Firehouse.com Guest

If there is a Fire Deptment you can join that is in the Area do so. I did, and I am glad I did. A little extra spending moiney, and some experience. It helps a lot. Your Roommate will be mad if you have to keep your turnout gear in your room, or when a desk box comes in at 330 in the morning, but that's about it. It is a lot of fun., The other college kids don't quite understand why you do it, but hey forget them. And gross them out when you are in the caf with grizzly EMS stories. It's fun to see th color drain from their faces when they are eating spaghetti and meatballs

Firedogwi10fd
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

man tell em about it. my dept in in west houston and i go to school in Austin texas (about two hours away). i do the same thing you do run to the window. i miss it so much and when ever i can go home i do.

smitheps
    Firehouse.com Guest

Being at school doesn't mean that you cant vollie. Find the nearest vollie station even if it is too far away to respond from your campus. Instead of going to the library to do work, drive to the station and do your work there. I ran at school for three and a half years and rode on over 1000 calls during that time. I acquired a great deal of knowledge during this time and definately think that having a vollie gig at school is worth it. (if nothing else, it is a break from campus). I quit at the end of first semester of my senior year, so that I could party a little harder and enjoy the spring, but the 3 1/2 years before that were great. Check out www.gettysburgfd.com or .org

altruist
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Hi
    Ive been a volunteer at the same time student and I dont get a damn not being able to respond in emergency calls.
    I always tell myself that it isnt the last call Ill ever respond to.
    To create a greater chances of responding to calls why not stay at your firehouse during your vacant time.
    Thats what I usually do. If time avails I stay at our firehouse to be able to respond to more calls especially when there are few or no other volunteers available.
    Goodluck to your vocation and to all other volunteers.
    Keep the volunteerism and humanitarian service alive!

FireBrat
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

I'm a volunteer firefighter who just started my freshman year at college.. what ticks me off is we seem to have most of our runs when I'm sitting in either english or math..

I got lucky, if you wanna call it that, yesterday though, didn't have class and was over at a friend's house who's on the same department. Me and my friend put a pizza in the oven just as some moron tries to run over a cement mixer with a cutlass sierra..

Tillermn14
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I live about 1 mile from the University of Maryland. A lot of the firehouses around here have bunkrooms. I am one of thirteen live-in members at my station. We live in the station free of charge, but we have to be in 5 nights a week to ride calls after 11 PM. Check the departments around your college to see if they have any type of programs like that.

Haligan125
    Firehouse.com Guest

The Live-in program is an excelent way to learn. Most schools that offer Fire Science will have them available. Sometimes it can really stink. But other times it can be great. Especially if the fire department treats you like you know something.

Thread Information