Imaff4free
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question What is your Vol. depts. policies on this?

The Question is;
    What does it take by your departments policies before a Fire fighter (new member) can enter a burning structure (not a training structure), What I'm looking for is the hours and/or other requirements that are needed either by state or department, if you follow NFPA I know them, but tell me that's your policy if it is. I have had alot of local input, now it is your turn, I will read these aloud at the next meeting night so any input would be greatly appreciate.

------------------
    God bless us all,
    on every call.
    Todd

Tom Lafleur
    Firehouse.com Guest

In my dept. all newbes must pass FF1. After that they will go in as backup for a vet. If he/she shows they got the right stuff then they can take the knob with a vet. backup until they become a vet. Stay Safe

Dalmation90
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

-- Firefighter I Certificate
    -- Current physical
    -- Annual Fit Test for SCBA mask
    -- Annual SCBA Refresher drill

There's a few other details, but that's the essentials of it.

shenry32
    Firehouse.com Guest

In our volunteer department newbies need:
    FF1
    Physical w/shots (tetnis, hepB, etc.)
    Infectious control class
    Hazmat awareness level
    Driving class w/ car inspection (we are vollies, we have to get to the station)
    SCBA tests
    all the normal stuff and then...
    they need to be checked off on a 3 page skill sheet be a senior FF. After that all they need is the Capitan's blessing. Then its about a year before we even think about letting them have the knob. Alot of guys think that we are a bit strict but we try to run our vollies like professional FFs

Scott Henry
    Kettering (OH) Volunteer Firefighter Association

Email me at skenry@aol.com if you would like a copy of the checkoff sheet.

ChapCapt
    Firehouse.com Guest

We require Essentials of Firefighting (Basic) and Essentials of Firefighting (Intermediate) before they can enter and burning structure. I think that is the correct name of the classes. Of course the need OSHA and a physical and the other routine stuff. It is then at the discretion of the officer to assign the FFs to a task on the scene. Chances are a new guy will not get in on the first line unless he has been around a while and has demonstrated his skills. We do not have any sort of skill sheet or checklist.

firedan69
    Firehouse.com Guest

we only require sucessful completeion of ff1A to enter a burning structure, I myself do not agree with this, i believe more training and expierence than that is needed before you take the tip, but i also understand you have to make do with what you got and if it comes down to 4 fairly new guys and a veteran the new guys will take the hose and the veteran should run the pump.

9m18
    Firehouse.com Guest

We require FFI...after completion of the other Dept requirements (physical, Tetanus, Hep B vaccine, etc). First with a vet, to get some experience.
    Stay safe.

------------------

TommyB
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face

Our small rural volunteer dept requires that before we allow a new FF to enter a structure they have passed the following stringent certification...they're breathing!

BURNSEMS
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Our Dept Requires 70 Hrs of Training (In House) on OUR equipment under Our Training Schedule,, No Matter How much Training you have prior to Joining our Dept,, There is alot to be said for Talking the Talk but the true Picture arrives in Technicolor when they have to Walk the Walk. This is so we are assured that all Members are on the same sheet of Music,, and not beating to a Differant Drummer.

firera
    Firehouse.com Guest

We are a small rural dept. We require the newbie to have had 240 hrs training, including fire streams, fire behavior,building construction , safety,fire control,and then go thru a training burn.
    These are some of the elements of what we consider being interior certified. Then after all of this they still have to have the bleesing of the captains and chief.

WTFD730
    Firehouse.com Guest

We require that probationary FF's complete the State FF 1A course and be certified. Our departments policy also is the new person has to complete a basic training check off sheet with some basic fireground functions:
    We only allow one probationary FF per Engine.

STATIONTWO
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

tom, could i get an application?

LMRCap1
    Firehouse.com Guest

We require FF1 and FF2 (240 hrs) Physical, Fit test and all the other regulations that must be met We also require training on our SCBA's and knowledge of our safety practices. Then you go in with a "Veteran" member. This also is at the discreation of the officer in charge. A basement fire probably will not be the first fire you go into. Common sense lets you know how fast they can get in over their heads. We try to break them in easy if possible.

------------------

smounger
    Firehouse.com Guest

We are a medium sized rural department in a town of about 6,000. We require completion of intro - fire and protective equpt. We also do an in house course on scba, which includes some element of basic structure fires and basic search and rescue. We will send our rookies into several training burns (semi- controlled) before they are allowed to go into an actual fire situation.
    All of our firefighters are required to pass FFI, but do the limited manpower available to us they must sometime do this on th run.
    http://domaindlx.com/mfdept/

Scott

AJM108
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

First they have to pass FF1 then they have to be off probation to get off probation probies have to attend 50% of the county drills and 50% of the department drills the company officers have to train the probies in the use of SCBA and all other firematic topics after the officers feel that the probie is ready then we put it in to the chiefs to review the members record and they in turn send it to the district they also review the records and they have the final say after the member is off probation then we have them go in on a line with senior firefighters to watch out for them until they get experience

------------------
    AJM108
    2nd Lt Co.1
    Ridge Fire Dept.

[This message has been edited by AJM108 (edited March 19, 2000).]

parsff16
    Firehouse.com Guest

Right now my department only requires 10 hours training. We are soon to be starting a basic training type course. Which would consist of 40 Hours of traing. It will be type of small firefighter 2 class but not as in depth.

Firedogwi10fd
    Firehouse.com Guest

In my dept. after being voted in you have to pass the rookie school. THis school is equal to 125 hours. Training includes, hazmat, fire science, hose handling, building construction, basic ems, search and rescue, 12 hours in the burn house, and much much more. they must also be CPR trained. it is only after that may the rookies make any type of a call. All of our firefighters must take a SCBA test once a year and attend monady night trainings.

PTFD21
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Our dept. requires
    for structure fires
    FF1 and FF2 which I believe now includes Haz Mat ops in the class.
    for medicals
    at least MFR
    BBP (blood borne pathogens)
    CPR
    p.i.c.s
    our dept's. extrication class(16 hours)

------------------
    ED C.
    PTFD21@firehousemail.com
    "Doin' it for lives and property !"
    ECarn21's Homefire Page

IRISH95
    Firehouse.com Guest

MY VFD requires each new member to have successfully completed fire school exterior evolutions then interior evolutions. They must get qualified to ride the apparatus, starting with the last out piece. We are a three engine, one ladder department. Th ey must successfully don an airpack in full turnout gear in 60 seconds or less. In order to be qualified to ride the trucks they must know the location of all equipment on the trucks, where on each truck and how each item is properly used. They are required to attend 8 weekly drills out of 20 during their 5 month probationary period.

Captstanm
    Firehouse.com Guest

In today's world, liability does not differentiate between career and volunteer. The only people in Virginia that are required to have F/F 1 and Haz Mat before fighting fires are junior member 16-18. Otherwise it is a department preference. Most cases it depends on who you are and how much you can demonstrate you know. Our department recommends at least 30 hours of training including SCBA and PPE, but I can bet you money people ride before that. In My opinion, firefighters should have at least firefighter I before participating. In the county that I used to work for, the volunteers were REQUIRED to attend at least F/F I and have certain other classes. Now they combine the classes and run them all concurrent so when they finish they are F/F II, Haz Mat Ops, as well as any additional company required training. Additionally, they have minimum performanace standards in which they are tested at intervals during the class. These include completion of the MAZE, ability to raise and climb ladders etc. If they do not meet these, they are retested once. If they fail again, they are dropped from class and have to re-take it. Works really well and produces good firefighters!
    http://www.atlantic-env.com

town/dept
    Firehouse.com Guest

shenry32

You don't have to be paid to be professional!

VFF107
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

I believe all FF's are Professionals, hope I am not alone on this?

[This message has been edited by VFF107 (edited April 05, 2000).]

LEES CHIEF
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

THE OPPOSITE WORD FOR PROFESSORIAL IS NOT VOLUNTEER IT IS AMATEUR.
    (KEEP THE WIND TO YOUR BACK)

Fireman Ry
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

The Warminster Fire Department requires the individual to complete and pass the county's Firefighter I program, which is about 104 hours of training. The individual will then be tested internally on the use of our SCBA. If the Captain feels satisfied, he will "pack qualify" the individual and he will be allowed into burning buildings.

------------------
    Ryan B.
    Stay Safe
    Warminster Fire Department
    Station 90
    Bucks County

Captstanm
    Firehouse.com Guest

We started a topic of conversation relating to training and the last several post seemed to take a shot at volunteers (which i resent). I agree....you do not have to be paid to be professional. In fact when I teach volunteers I tell them if they dont think their department is professional, then they should leave.

The question remains in this post...What are training requirements?

Thread Information