ozfire
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Volunteers are you paid ?????

I am looking for any fire departments anywhere that have retained vols whether they are paid or given tax breaks or discounts,if you have any information on this matter please email with details
    Thanks

crankville@yahoo.com

------------------

Fyrebugg41
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

We're a volunteer department, and we're given tax breaks. However, tax breaks are only given to the guyz that "own" their property. It's only about a whole 8 bucks. It's not a big deal, not even worth giving it to us really.

------------------
    ~*That's why we're here, to help those in need, we're not here for money, fame, or greed..To help those fellow friends, who can't help themselves..We're volunteers because we care, because we want to help, to help others who are in need, not for ourselves*~

Hammerhead338
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

At my old volly dept we were not paid anything but we did get 1 gallon of gas for every call you made. Its not much but it did help, would have been nice to get some money to help pay for all of the paints and shirts that I went through.

Have a good day and be safe.

Joe
    Local 3905

Hammerhead338
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

At my old volly dept we were not paid anything but we did get 1 gallon of gas for every call you made. Its not much but it did help, would have been nice to get some money to help pay for all of the paints and shirts that I went through.

Have a good day and be safe.

Joe
    Local 3905

WTFD730
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

We are a small volunteer department(bedroom community) just outside Toledo,Ohio. We just recently started receiving a small renumeration for our services. Each member receives $6.00 per call they answer. This is not an hourly rate but a flat rate no matter how long we are on the scene. Command officers receive a monthly base pay for there extra administrative services they have to perform other than emergency calls. All members carry pagers and respond to the station in pvt. vehicle when call comes in. And yes..we pay taxes on what we earn
    Captains-$150.00 per month
    Asst.Chiefs-$300.00 per month
    Dept. Chief-$650.00 per month

------------------
    Ronald Kay
    Assistant Chief
    Washington Twp. FD
    Toledo,Ohio

[This message has been edited by WTFD730 (edited April 26, 2000).]

LEES CHIEF
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

NOT ONE CENT.

town/dept
    Firehouse.com Guest

Yes we do get paid. We are divided into 5 teams of 6 members. Every 5th weekend I am on call get paid $60. At the end of the year we get $500 each and we get a $1000 tax break from the goverment.

NCRSQ751
    Firehouse.com Guest

Those who get paid must be on a tax base!

We don't get paid, we take personal tax deductions for gear we buy (other than our turnout gear, pagers and helmets we buy all our own personal gear and uniforms), the training we pay for and mileage if you keep a good log.

We are lucky to have an accountant and an auditor in the squad that know the do's and don'ts so is all done appropriately.

We do have a paid position in the department that covers getting the apparatus out 8-5 M-F, but it only pays $7.50 an hour on a part time basis. We have had some members work some of the shifts, but mostly it's covered by an employee, not members.

------------------
    Susan Bednar
    Captain - Forsyth Rescue
    North Carolina Strike Force 1

Sand Creek Lynn
    Firehouse.com Guest

$9/hour for calls including cleanup time afterwards. $9 per training. No matter how long the training session. Paid once a year in early December. We have very few runs. 10-15 per year. Have more training sessions than runs.

Lynn

Aerial 131
    Firehouse.com Guest

We are compensated on a per call basis, with a base rate of call: Firefighters, Lieutenant, Captain and then we have adders to the base: Driver, HAzmat Tech, SCBA tech, Ladder tech, and FF1.

On top of this we have a training incentive in which if you come to training on Wed night or Thursday morning and you attend 30 drills for the year you can receive at least $200.00 up to $500.00 just before Christmas. If you are less than three years at the end of the third year you could get up to $1500.00 all at once. We found we had a problem in holding personnel between the third and fourth year, this method has helped a great deal.

Truck 2
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Guess what? If you people are getting payed, you are not volunteer firefighters any longer! Your part time payed career firefighters! I hope your employeer be it a volunteer fire company or a county are keeping records on this because Uncle Sam will be wanting his cut of your pay check!

------------------

WTFD730
    Firehouse.com Guest

Truck 2....I can somewhat understand what your saying that we are not true volunteer firefighters anymore with the small renumeration pay we recieve. I sure would not call us part-time payed career firefighters with only recieving $6.00 per (not hourly)call no matter how long were on the scene, thats not a career income. I sure did not join this department for the pay, but I'm not going to lie and say the little pay is not nice at the end of year. We never mention any pay to new members when they enquire about membership or do we advertise pay in our recruitment adds. All members volunteer to join the department. And again Yes we do pay taxes on earned income from the department, after Uncle Sam gets his share of our little income we recieve, its a far cry from a career or part-time job.

[This message has been edited by WTFD730 (edited April 26, 2000).]

Thew
    Firehouse.com Guest

My department pays its volunteers at the most $260 per year. The amount depends on the number of on scene/training hours they have at the end of the year.

pfpchief
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

we get nothing . just the feeling of satisfation that comes from helping your neighbor. ya i also give all the officers a plaque for their wall.

RookieFireFighter
    Firehouse.com Guest

Volunteer's in our Dept. get $13 the first hour of a call and $8 after. Career FF get regular pay plus a few extra dollars. We also get paid for training. We are fined $5 if we miss a meeting, call or training. Depending on rank, we also get salaries. $100 per year and up. We also have income tax taken off. We get payed twice a year and they are nice little paychecks for the amount of work that we do.

GFD34K3
    Firehouse.com Guest

I my Dept we get paid. We get $6.00/hr
    for fire calls and clean-up and we get $6.00
    for a business meeting. All training sessions and drills are done without pay. We
    receive our pay once/year in December. The rate is the same for Officers as well as firefighters.

Philip C
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

My company doesn't pay members, but I've heard that other stations in the county do. All PPE is issued by the county and duty crew uniforms (t-shirt, shirt, pants, patches) are issued by each station; dress uniforms are issued after so many years of service (my station; not sure about others) The only things we have to pay for are name tags for duty crew & dress uniforms, sewing & alterations, pager (optional) and any extra equipment we may want to have (small flashlights, spanners, wire cutters, etc..). We do get a tax break after 6 years membership and we don't respond from home, so gas isn't an issue. Take care & be safe.

------------------
    Phil Clinard
    Laurel VFD
    Prince George's Co Sta 10
    Laurel, MD
    www.laurelvfd.org

bob1350
    Firehouse.com Guest

I agree with Truck 2. If you get any kind of compensation, you are paid. If you file a long form on your taxes, you can deduct mileage to and from calls, meetings, trainings, etc. You can also deduct clothes, books and periodicals. My wife is also a volunteer, and we deduct around $500.00 a year.
    We used to recieve "Chamber Bucks" from the city as incentive awards, but if you get more that $50.00 a year in "bucks", your Uncle starts to get interested.

Fireguy57
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

If you get paid, doesn't that pretty much scrap away the volunteer status?

Our volly dept. doesn't get paid, no tax cuts, but we do get something important. Respect! The community respects us for our volunteer status, and I wouldn't give that up for all the money in the world!

Batt #2
    Firehouse.com Guest

Chief is paid part-time. Two Asst. Chiefs get $16.00 per hour Capt's. $15.00 Lt's $14.00 FF between $10.00 and $12.00 depaending on your state fire classifications and probationary ff $8.00 for two years after that they got to the 10 to 12

AFD23
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Wow and our dept always complains about what we get paid, we are a dept of 40 a full time chief, and 9 officiers, the chief comes in at 46,000.00 asst chiefs, 2500.00, capts and louies, 1200.00 per year, plus everyone gets 16.56 per hour per call,and paid life insurance through VFIS,and some get retirement through PERS we are also civil service unclassified, under paid part time. our dept also generates a revenue from the township and turnpike calls we respond to which goes back into the city general account. our operating budget is arround 410,000.00 per year, and we dont run a squad.

------------------

tigger
    Firehouse.com Guest

The first department that I volunteered with, there was no monetary compensation. I didn't care, I was getting free training, able to respond to calls, became part of a "family", I was able to do something I loved very much.
    I am now a resident with one of the county fire districts, (I live @ the station), and we are also compensated. We are on a point system. We receive a certain # of points for the shift we pull (depending on the hours),a point for each call we respond to, points for training. Additional points for being an EMT, outside training (for the public), & being an officer. Depending on the budget, the point value varies a little. We are paid quarterly. We also have a summer crew, (which I am on), and we get more points for being here during the day, during fire season. We are taxed on this as well.
    I am very fortunate to be here, living at the station, doing what I love, and getting paid. It may not be a career position, but if I didn't have to pay bills, I do it for free in a heartbeat, it's not about the money. And yes, I am testing for a career position.
    Take care & be safe!

tigger

------------------
    Pull to the Right for Sirens & Lights!

Fyresq50
    Firehouse.com Guest

In Wisconsin a Volunteer can recieve up to 2500 dollars per year and still be exempt from taxes. After $2500-you lose volunteer status

Fyresq50

jaybird210
    Firehouse.com Guest

We wrestled with this issue for over a year. I do not agree that if you are paid, you are no longer a volunteer. This reflects the blurring of the "volunteer" fire depts: many have been technically POC since their inception. Call yourself what you want, you still volunteer to join, volunteer to respond. If you earn less that a couple thou a year, how can you consider yourself a paid firefighter? Whether or not to pay should be a reflection of your area. We are a small farm town that is transforming into a suburban bedroom community. Competing with work, soccer, school, ect., etc., it became harder to attract and keep members. Even local employers are not wanting to let their workers leave for calls. No one is here for the money, but when Christmas is compliments of the FD, it makes the spouse/family more understanding of all the missed meals and bedtimes (and other things). We pay $7/hr for fire/rescue, $15/hr for EMS transport, and pay a little for training/Con Ed. Most members make around $750, and yes U.S. is watching. We decided it was worth it; it really is an issue you must work out in the context of your area.

firemam
    Firehouse.com Guest

We make 9.00 on the hour for fire/med calls. so if the call takes 1 hour 15 mins, we are paid 18.00 for the run. We are paid a flat rate of 9.00 for any training..monthly drills and what not. (3 hour drill would be only 9.00) We are paid on a quarterly basis. The department also furnishes all the equipment that we need. Nothing is out of pocket.

Thread Information