Thread: Training Time

Kelly Tool
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Training Time

Ok, I notice the other night at our weekly drill that when all was said and done we had about a half hour of real, "play time" or in other words time in which things were actually being learned. We started at about 7:30 and ended at 9:00 taking time out to get things set up and all the prep work and clean up time we were left with little time to really learn. My question is how long should we train and how often, and for what reasons. I believe go for 3 hours, train hard (no messing around, act like a real senario) and do this once a week. Do you agree/disagree? What does your dept do and how does it work?
    Thanks

------------------
    Put the wet stuff on the red stuff!
    Visit our Dept. Schodack Valley

Fyrebugg41
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

I agree with you. I think training should be once a week, and 3 hours is a good chunk of time. Our Dept tried that, but we're having a real manpower shortage.It's so hard to get enough people to participate in something. We can't really set up a schedule and be sure to have training every week. If other dept's can, by all means...DO IT!

------------------
    ~*That's why we're here, to help those in need, we're not here for money, fame, or greed..To help those fellow friends, who can't help themselves..We're volunteers because we care, because we want to help, to help others who are in need, not for ourselves*~

EPFD-AL
    Firehouse.com Guest

Here's one of the MANY ways that you can evaluate your training: Dust off your ISO rating and see how many points you received OR were docked for training. Besides record keeping, preplans, and training aids ISO looks for 20 hours training per month for each member; and ISO looks for officers and drivers to also complete additional annual training as well. How did you fare last ISO visit? I hope you weren't like my Company - because we've got a lot of work to do.

Sand Creek Lynn
    Firehouse.com Guest

ISO is looking for 20 hours of training per MONTH?

I'm sheparding our department through our first ever ISO rating and haven't found that in any info so far. Have I missed something? Lynn

EPFD-AL
    Firehouse.com Guest

Check pages 56 - 58 in Larry Stevens' "Your Next ISO Simple Solutions" and talk with your ISO district office; mine told me 20 hours per month, and 12 hours on top of that each year for officers.

LHS'
    Firehouse.com Guest

Yearly requirements of actual attendance per firefighter for ISO are:

240 hours Company traning
    24 hours multi-company training
    3 hours hax mat
    Walk through all commercial and public buildings twice each year.

If you fall into one of the following categories add to the above:

12 hours officer training
    12 hours driver training
    40 hours new driver training
    240 hours rookie training

SRFD3114
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

We train 2 or 3 times a month. On week nights trainings last 2 or 3 hours. On Saturday or Sunday traininngs last between 3 to 5 hours.

munson
    Firehouse.com Guest

we train every wednsday for day people 0900-1200 and night people 1900-2200 same topic and one sunday a month 0900-1200

------------------
    do or do not there is no try

3hrs work for us, attendance varies by topic.It also brings us up to date on events or new policies.

[This message has been edited by munson (edited June 02, 2000).]

Dalmatian90
    Firehouse.com Guest

Depending on what your doing...90 minutes is about the length of most people's attention span before they get real fidgity, especially in the evenings when people want to go home and go to bed to get back to work the next morning.

tigger
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

We have training once a week, but one thing we do, that really helps, is one of our Batt. Chiefs does "spot drills" on the duty crew. (Residents). It could be a "house on fire" (four cones set up for the house, & one for the 'fire'), it could be a "car fire", a "wildland fire", or even a "MVA". In any case, we are to drop what we are doing, and "respond". We geared up, in the truck, and drive around to the "incident". We flow water on the "fires". These simulated drills work very well to keep us in practice of each persons duties, as well as learning to work well with each other. It is a lot of fun as well. We can usually expect to get a "fire in the parking lot" almost every time we are on shift. Getting everyone together to train can be difficult, especially when you have multiple stations. It can br frustrating, because training is very important.

tigger

------------------
    Pull to the Right for Sirens & Lights!

Thread Information