Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    pfpchief
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb what are your minimium regiurements for chief level (asst or chief)

we are reveiwing our constition and i want other departments minimuim requirements for election as chief or asst. chief. ours are currently be an active member for 5 years with no training reguirements except state (N.J.)incedent command training

COFireLt
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

my last dept, all officers were required to have so and so yrs on dept. then, submit a letter of interest to the dept, pass a written test, mostly concerning SOP's, response assignments, & IC for Lt.'s, chiefs should have the same with more emphasis on the IC. One question on Lt test was to list the current fire board members.... imagine, some want to be officers and don't even know who's on the board. once the written test has been passed, must pass an oral board (with who ever you choose to sit on board) a good one to have sit in is at least one member of the dept. board. Give the candidates a piece of paper and have them schedule a proposed trng program for the next year(including hours, ect...) leave the room and give them 5 min to complete, then they can explain why they feel the dept. needs such trng. Ask them about contoversial issues, district issues, ect.... Then appoint who ever the board feels is the best qualified. Oh yea!! we had to attend an "Officers Development" course (ours was 2 nights a week for 2 1/2 months) If you want to give me your email, i can give you a rough agenda on such a course. Yes this is kind of a long and tough process for volunteers, but at least you know that if they stick it out, they are committed on becoming an officer. And it is much better than the old fashioned nominate and vote popularity contest. I think you would be truly satisfied with the new officers. Hope this at least gives you an idea for your dept. Keep in mind others factors such as alarm attendance ect....

Bob Snyder
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Our requirements are set up progressively, but I'll start from the top and work down:

To be eligible to run for Chief, a candidate needs two years as Deputy or Assistant Chief.

To be eligible to run for Deputy or Assistant Chief, a candidate needs to have two years as Captain and/or Lieutenant and is recommended to have an officer development course.

To be eligible to run for Captain or Lieutenant, a candidate needs to have two years as an active senior firefighter, have completed driver/operator certification on all company apparatus, and must have completed the 88-hour Essentials Mod-I course (it's a combination classroom and hands-on course based on the IFSTA Essentials manual).

In addition, all officers are expected to make at least 50% of meetings, drills, and fund-raisers to maintain their eligibility for office.

For practical purposes, it takes a few years of active participation before anyone is considered for driver training, and driver certs take two years or more to complete. That means that, in reality, a candidate for Chief would have, at minimum, the Essentials certificate, Driver/Operator certs., 4-5 years as a firefighter, 2 years as a junior officer, an officer development course, and 2 years as a senior officer.

Nobody moves through the ranks that fast, however...our Chief has been in his office continuously since 1982, the Deputy Chief was a Lieutenant in 1982 and moved up to DC by 1992, where he's been continuously since, etc. down the line.

WOODMAN
    Firehouse.com Guest

IN OUR DEPARTMENT FROM THE TOP DOWN IS AS FOLLOWS 1ST ASST.CHIEF FOR 3 YEARS,2ND ASST.
    CHIEF FOR 3 YEARS BE A CAPTAIN FOR 2 YEARS AND BE A LT FOR AT LEAST 2 YEARS. BE QUALIFIED AS A MPO HAVE PASSED FF1AND 2 A DEPARTMENT APPROVED IC COURSE AND A HAZMAT AWARENESS COURSE. WE ARE THINKING OF ANDING IN SOME INSPECTION REQUIREMENTS AND MAYBE BEING A INSTRUCTOR BUT HAVE NOT REACHED ANY TIME FRAME ON THIS.TO START WITH YOU MUST BE ON THE DEPARTMENT AT LEAST 3 YEARS TO BE CONSIDERED FOR A OPENING AS A LT.
    HOPE THIS HELPS.

TOM

------------------

sgfd
    Firehouse.com Guest

The only current criteria which is important is breathing. You must also be off probation one year. I have been the Chief for about 1 year now with three years as a 2nd Lt. Nobody else wanted it, so I took it. The first thing I wanted done with the help of my officers was to update our by-laws. We put in three years active service not including probation. This may not be a lot, but it is a start.
    Good luck.

craig7404
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

My dept. is small and rural but we have a minimun of 5 years in the department plus at least a certification level 1 FF and state approved I C command course which we teach in our department in our cert training. Now the other officers have no guidelines but we do use the same as we do for the Chief unoffically.

------------------
    Good Luck And Be Safe
    Captain
    Craig Lambert
    Harmony Consolidated
    Volunteer Fire Department

bob1350
    Firehouse.com Guest

I'm an asst. chief (aka division chief) from a combo dept. in Colorado. You cannot be an officer unless you have at least 2 years on the dept. To move up to Capt. from Lt. is at least another 2 years. You have to take a written and oral test for both. Volunteer officers have also agreed to take an officer development program put together by the paid chief. This program involves IC classes, Red Card Training, Safety Officer Training, and Strategy and Tactics classes. You probably should have a FFII cert. in there too.

Anyway, all this preliminary stuff will make you eligible to run for the elected position of Asst. Chief. Its a lot of work, but personally I feel good about the knowledge and experience our volunteer officers have.

Thread Information