Thread: Mutal Aid

E21
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Mutal Aid

Hi all,
    I have a question about are mutal aid response. Are town has two Vol. depts. pop. of 13,500. We run approx 450 calls per station. Each dept has 3 engines 1ladder and 1 rescue with about 40 vols in each including officers. My question is on genral alarm calls should both depts be dispached to respond to the call. Its obvious if its a real fire and other dept. needs back up we would go, but most of the genral alarm calls end up being false (pot of food, burnt toast, ect). Now for fire alarm actavations we only dispach one dept. I say why not do that for the genral alarm until a working fire is declaried.
    Just my opinion only and am intrested in what others think of this.

WOODMAN
    Firehouse.com Guest

Damn I wished that I had that much equipment and people for the department that I am in.
    But your answer I would just sent one company
    or department as you call it. Better question
    is how is your town broken up in regards to run areas, does each department cover a certin area or does both departments run on each call? Alittle more information on how the departments run would go a long to answering your question.

------------------

bob1350
    Firehouse.com Guest

E21,
    My thinking would be for the first due-in engine to respond code 3, and have the second, or mutual aid engine to go enroute code 2. You certainly don't want to have to play catch up if the general alarm turns out to be the real thing. On another note, where do you get 40 volunteers at each station with a population of 13,500? I commend you on your recruitment!!

E21
    Firehouse.com Guest

WOODMAN,
    we do have response districts. We use to responde together for AFA's too but now all we do together is genrals and working structures.

Bob,
    That pop. is an estimate that took place about 6 years ago, it could be even higher, we have had a lot of growth in 5 years here. belive it or not. This is a NY town right near NYC. lot of buissness people live here. It would not supprise me one bit to see the pop be 14,000 or more. Lot of houses being built here, left and right. And for personell well we have a jr program that does real well in getting the kids involved and getting them intrested so when they become of age they can join. Alot of are memmbers are 19-25 years old. The Jr. program is 8 years old, and almost all of the younger vols came from that program. Currently the Jrs have 10 memmbers and next month 3 more of them will be taking FF1 class.

Aerial 131
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Our fire alarms in my volunteer department send 2 engines code (closest ones), 1 aerial non-code outside its response area, & 1 duty chief.

After we have received ??? bad(false) type calls the business is billed for our wheels turning. It does not take long for the false calls to stop of for the fire systems to get the fixing/cleaning/repair that was needed.

This seems to work!!

Wow!! I wish our station (5) had that many of us to do the thing.

------------------

craig7404
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

We have a county wide fire district here with 16 VFD's in the county. Now on general fire calls only the closest department is dispatched, on all reported structure and MVA's the two closest departments are dipatched. All dispatches are based on the info the caller gives and the time of day that the call comes in.

------------------
    Good Luck And Be Safe
    Captain
    Craig Lambert
    Harmony Consolidated
    Volunteer Fire Department

pfpchief
    Firehouse.com Guest

we have 3 vol .compinies in a 9800 pop. town we have approx 20 active members in my company with 20 in one of the others and maybe 25 in the third.we all go to everything except wires and brush betweenn12am and 6 am.on local alarms we each send one engine (brush, car, trash ,investigate smoke)on all alarm sys, building, dwellings we all roll everything. we have 3 engines one other comp. has 2 engines and the third has 2 engines a rescue and a ladder and a light unit. with a chief and 2 asst for each company not to mention the boro district chief signing on the radio can be an adventure.the up side 3 minute dispatch to on location times . most jobs get kept to the room of origan unless its arson or there is a delay in repoting the fire . we average 160 calls with 3 workers a year. 2 companies are independents raising our own money . the town funds the ladder, rescue company

FF/EMT 19
    Firehouse.com Guest

E21, what we have set up is that on all reported structure fires three departments are paged. The department where the fire is reported in and two nieghboring departments. One advantage to this if the fire is small and can be handled by the "host" department they can call us off or have one roll in and the other stage at thier department to cover any other alarms that may come in while they are out. All are units roll hot until notified differently. Usually by the first officer on scene. On fire alarms the two neighboring departments either start toward the call, on the quiet or stage in thier station until its determine if there is a working fire then we roll. If manpower permits each department rolls two engines and a squad or tankers depending on the call and location. I can't count how many times I heard someone say we were just about to run out of water when you guys showed up. It seems to be working fairly well and other departments and locations are starting to do the same. Some area departemnts I have heard have four and even five mutual aid departments responding on a reported structure fire. I don't know how this works for them but I guess if you are knee deep in it. It sure could'nt hurt.

FFTrainer
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

If you can get all your manpower and apparatus out the door, then you should be able to handle most jobs in your first due area. I would however suggest swinging at least an engine from the other house into yours for cover. Obviously there will be those jobs that require more depending on fire conditions, time of day, etc.

tigger
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Mutual aid may seem like a hassle, but it is way easier to cancel resources once you get on scene and realize you don't need them, than to get on scene, and realize, "OOPS! We need help!"
    We respond mutual aid with a couple of agencies on some calls other than fires, (depending on the location), such as MVA's.
    Sometimes, based on initial dispatch information taken from the caller, we order additional resources, to plan ahead.
    Each department, of course, is different. Some are able to staff the apparatus quickly, while some have to wait for personnel.

These are my thoughts, not representing my district.
    Be safe out there!
    tigger

------------------
    Pull to the Right for Sirens & Lights!

Brian Dunlap
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

I Have to agree with bob1350 Have the first due respond at emergency speed and reduce the speed on the remaining units unless confirmation of work is made--- Another idea would be for one station to roll an engine first due and the other station to roll the ladder first due and respond the other units as needed at reduced or emergency speed based on the incident--- On wire and washdown calls and the like....One engine company would be sufficient but don't release the man-power left behind at the hall until you know this for sure

Thread Information