1. #1
    Firehouse.com Guest

    Post Tax Exempt Question

    Where can I get a copy, on the net, of my departments 501(c)tax exempt IRS letter?


    Chief Matt Harmon,EMT-IV
    Paulette VFD

  2. #2
    Firehouse.com Guest


    The main IRS web page is at http://www.irs.gov

    According to a search, I found the following listed as being tax exempt:Organization Name: Paulette Volunteer Fire Department
    City: Maynardville, TN
    Code: None - A public charity with a 50% deductibility limitation

    The code of 'none' means the dept. is a regular charity. The 50% deductibility limitation has to do with a person's charitable contribution deduction being limited to 50% of adjusted gross income. Certain types of contributions are limited to 30% of AGI.

    The IRS has lots of information at http://www.irs.gov/bus_info/eo/index.html

    A year or 2 ago, all non-profit activities were centralized at one IRS service center:
    Internal Revenue Service
    TE/GE Division, Customer Service
    P.O. Box 2508
    Cincinnati, OH 45201
    Telephone (877) 829-5500

    You can contact them about obtaining a copy of your 'tax exempt letter.' They refer to it as your 'determination letter.'

    If anyone questions your status, refer them to the IRS web site and let them search.

    Good luck,
    Tom (a volunteer FF and a CPA)

  3. #3
    Firehouse.com Guest


    Thanks to Tom14 for the IRS search site. Your information could save a lot of us from future problems. I checked and found that our Fire Company is listed properly. Our Auxiliary has the town name spelled wrong in the address. Should we try to get it corrected? Many of our neighboring Fire Companies & Departments are listed. A lot of them are not on the list.

  4. #4
    Firehouse.com Guest


    If the misspelling isn't too bad and the zip code is correct, I wouldn't worry about it. If you want it corrected, send a letter to the IRS service center listed in my previous message. Be sure to have the letter signed by an officer of the auxiliary and indicate the person's title.

    Some departments, etc. may not be listed for one of several reasons; they received their exemptions many years ago and are 'missing' from the database or they never filed for an exemption because they are considered a 'subdivision of the government' and therefore exempt by law. Also, the search may not have found them due to a spelling error, etc.


  5. #5
    Firehouse.com Guest


    Thanks also for the info. Another question, if you don't mind. I heard that if you carry your turn-out gear and other equipment in your personal vehicle that all gas purchases for that vehicle are deductable. Is that a vicious rumor or is there any truth to it? I live far enough from the station that I keep my equipment with me and respond POV. Any info would be great !!

  6. #6
    Firehouse.com Guest


    I have never heard that comment about gear in your POV. I use my POV and count mileage to and from calls, trainings and meetings. The combination of those adds up to a lot of miles and I deduct them. Also any equipment, books, preiodicals I purchase on my own.

  7. #7
    Firehouse.com Guest


    Bob1350 is correct. All mileage can be deducted (better than actual gas costs). I also ded. costs such as dry cleaning, books, etc.

    Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register