FirefighterReed
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Respond from Church

I'm just wondering how you VFF's feel about getting a call while in church. If any of you are like me you will either not take your pager or turn it on vib. while in church. Thank the lord I've never had an alarm go off while at church but if I did I'm not sure what I'd do. If anybody else has encountered this and could tell me what they do I'd be interested.

URSULAFORHAN
    Firehouse.com Guest

I've had to respond to events IN church twice. Both times men fainted: one dead away and the second time I wasn't at all sure it wasn't an MI at first. However, there was a surgeon present as well and he took over.
    As to your original question, I wear my pager with the volume turned down low-- it doesn't vibrate--- bc as a small volunteer dept. we are apt to be shorthanded on weekends. Most of the congregation knows I'm a volunteer and they don't have a problem with it.

E229Lt
    Firehouse.com Guest

I'm sure your God would excuse you for your service to your fellow man.

Catch
    Firehouse.com Guest

I've only had a couple situations where I had to respond from church. But I do as you do and turn it down. For the most part the congregation doesn't seem to mind. As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't matter. I figure God put people on earth to be his hands, and I'm sure his hands are needed even while church services are going on.

bob1350
    Firehouse.com Guest

I go to church with my wife for one reason. So no single men hit on her.(They have) I have gone with an ear piece in my ear because I was the Incident Safety Officer that day. Never called out. There have been a couple of medical calls at the church on days when we didn't go. I would have no problem leaving if a call happens, the pastor knows my wife and I are both firefighters

SCFAO
    Firehouse.com Guest

Prior to becoming career I, like most, was a volunteer. Since a large number of personnel from my dept went to the same church, we usually only left one pager on. Back in those days they were the old original minitor "bricks", no vibrate...the beep was at the same volume regardless of where the volume control was set. This was prior to the developmental boom in our area, so most everybody in our church knew what the deal was...in fact, our pastor was a former volunteer from out of state...so he didn't have a problem....except maybe a minor problem when his sermon was inturrupted 5 straight Sundays. I saw it like this, God wants you to serve your fellow man..so we were just filling our calling as good christians.

JR95
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Well if anyone is from NJ or knows what "Wildwood" is this is a classic story. A few years back a during Wildwood Weekend, a friend of a few members from my department was getting married. These remaining members who went to the wedding wore their tuxedos to the wedding and actually had the engine parked in the parking lot of the church. Luckily the wedding went without a single "tone."

FF.FOREVER
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

I have responded from church a couple of times myself. I have a minitor 2 but even if you turn the volume down it still goes off very loud. I work for 2 depts so I have to leave my pager on monitor. Matter in fact we had a page sent out on Sunday while I was in church. I sit unstairs in the balcony so I don't disturb too many people if I need to leave, got to the bottom of the stairs and it turned out to be a page for a detail. I wasn't very impressed.

[This message has been edited by FF.FOREVER (edited June 20, 2000).]

Capt. Zada
    Firehouse.com Guest

We (several) have to leave the church in a hurry when the pager goes off. If we are too slow our Priest may run over us. He likes to drive the big red truck.

[This message has been edited by Capt. Zada (edited June 20, 2000).]

chf jstano
    Firehouse.com Guest

Most of us keep our pagers off in church.However the station siren is only about 2-3 blocks away from any of the 4 churches in town.(back to that debate of do you use a siren).How ever I seem to recall an instance a number of years back when the alarm sounded and 4 or 5 of us kind of edged forward on the pews.The Rev.looked out and said something to the effect,"Go now and serve."

MtnFire
    Firehouse.com Guest

I have responded many times from church, once from the pulpit (I was lay-leader that Sunday, and am a Capt with the FD). We have cleared it with our pastor so that he is aware of what is going on. My wife says he hears our pagers, stops, waits for the doors to close behind us, and asks the congregation to join him in a prayer for us, and continues with what he was doing. Makes us all feel special that we have a whole church praying for our safety, especially since we seem to get most of our rip-snorters on Sunday mornings.

morriss
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

I too have responded many times from church. I have been the duty IC and have driven the Chief's Sport Utility there and have responded. I too use an ear piece and I only respond when needed or when designated.

HarrisonJR
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

I have responded to calls from church along with four other members who are on the department. As far as how loud the volume is set depends on if we are singing or not cuz sometimes it's hard to hear the tone. Most people know we are volunteers and when they see us jump up and make a mad dash for the door they know the reason. It also gives them an insight as to what we do and when they see us rush off for a call they feel "good" in knowing that if they ever have an emergency we are quick to respond. I've also used my turnout gear one Sunday for the childrens story. The preacher will also say a prayer for our safety when we go. God gave me the ability to fight fires and help people whether that be on Sunday or Monday.

nsfirechap
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

I use an earbud in my radio while at church. I gauge the seriousness of the call with my responsibilities to my department. If i dont respond, I can at least pray for the crews and the victims.
    It is never easy to leave my wife for any calls and church is important but i know my Pastor will not feel slighted, and I know the Good Lord will understand me for leaving His house on His day as He has called me to serve Him in the FD.

Chaplain Jeff Turkel
    North Star VFD
    North Pole, Alaska

craig7404
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have 6 members of our department who go to the same church. Myself I turn the volume down a liitle in church as my pager don't not vib. As a commanding officer/first responder I will leave church on ever call out. I believe that the GOOD LORD will not hold that against me. I know that our preacher is ok with the department leaving as he was once a firefighter and knows what it is like. When our pagers go off, he will stop preaching until we are out side then my wife says he will say a prayer for us and continue with the service. We always try not to disturb the service to much as we leave.

------------------
    Good Luck And Be Safe
    Captain
    Craig Lambert
    Harmony Consolidated
    Volunteer Fire Department

Engine58
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

About the WILDWOOD reply Yes I know what wildwood is and YES ITS ALOT OF FUN THERE ESPECIALLY FIREMeNS CONVENTION ALMosT HERE!! WOOHOO BUT ANYWAY Its sort of a Tradition in my town and neighboring towns that when a volunteer gets married they bring hte rigs or engines Trucks whichever you have to the wedding and wait outside and when everyone walks out they all blow there sirens and horns. I think its kindof neat...especially cause when my cousin got married they brought 2 engines 30 minutes away just to blow hte horns and sirens for them hehehe...But yea i also would respond to a call from church depending on teh seriousness of hte call. A structure fire DEFINATLEY MVA rollover, or heartattack Another Definate Response. Other than that I just turn down my pager so you only hear the beep a tiny bit. even though everyone still hears it but HEY My saying is "IT COMES WITH THE JOB"

------------------
    Andrew
    South Amboy, New Jersey
    Junior EMS Responder
    "EMTS DON'T DIE THEY JUST STABILIZE"

NTCFD_Lieut
    Firehouse.com Guest

The town I live in has only one church in it. So its not uncommon for several of us to have to leave in a hurry during church...

Matter of fact 7 years ago.. I got a page while at my own wedding reception... Made for a GREAT way for my new found bride to get a "impression" of my occupation!! :>

------------------
    James "Doc" Tarpley
    Battalion Chief
    Department Safety Officer
    North Tooele County VFD

MetalMedic
    Firehouse.com Guest

If God didn't expect you to leave... he would wait until after the service to let the fire happen....

------------------
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

*Chinaman*
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

I liked the last reply...some truth in it.
    I am catholic and that is more of a minority over here. Most are evangelists. So I have to go to church in a neighbouring dept. I turn my pager to vibrate. When the siren sounds in the area of the chruch the men leave the church to attend the incident - no questions asked. When my pager goes off, noone knows that I'm responding since they don't hear the siren, but the priest knows and give's me a little wink when he sees me jump up and leave. Just that little reassurance that there is some support in what I do from "up there".

Neil Murphy
    Firehouse.com Guest

I have made many responses from church as well. There are currently about 6 members of my fire department in my church. It is accepted as "nothing unusual" for a large part of the congregation to "swiftly exit" during the service as we are a volunteer department. The preacher usually give a blessing as we leave.

Firekatz04
    Firehouse.com Guest

I no longer leave for calls. In the summer, i used to respond... in winter I was "O.O.S." for about 3 hours (teaching Sunday School and being a soloist in the choir kind of kept me busy). Summertime was no choir and a joint SS so I could respond. Our church just started a Praise and Worship service which I help lead so once again I don't respond. It works for me and my dept.

FirefighterReed
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thanks for all the posts I figured this would only get a couple then that would be it I was wrong. Since my original post I've talked with the preacher and he understands my situation and if I ever need to just get up and leave and he would pray for us. Keep the replies coming I'm interested in hearing what my brothers do.

------------------
    Find em hot......Leave em wet...

Fire Fighters job is never done

Fireguy57
    Firehouse.com Guest

We had a new priest come into town, from the city. He did not know we were volunteers, much less, if we even had a fire dept. And during his first sermon, there was a fire. He apparently didn't understand what the lond siren was for, and ran out ask what we thought we were doing. and it was very ignorant of us, to leave during his sermon. Lets just say the church is still half empty.

This is in no way related to the members of the Bellasylvia Village Voluntary Fire Company No. 1, Dutch Mountain Pa.

WestEnd #1
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

One of our brothers was being married, and after much arguement, the Chief agreed to allow one of our Engines to serve as the Limo. It went O.O.S. for the detail, and returned to service at the reception. (A designated crew was not allowed to enjoy themselves as much as others...) Of course, a three alarm apartment fire with entrapment was dispatched as the cake was being cut, and with a nice air horn burst, she smeared it all over his face while he watched the Engine leave.

gls779
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

Yes I also carry my pager to Church. I beleive that I'm called to serve god with my love through the FD. There are people who do not understand this. To them I say "There is no greater gift from GOD then love" and "There is no greater love then to lay down your life for another", love your neighbor as yourself. I would want my neighbors/fellow fire fighters to come help me, even on sunday there for I need to do the same.
    God bless all!!!!

Thread Information