mark440
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

August 2. Worker in a single family dwelling. How about yours? This is the 4th in the past two weeks. It has been really slow, a good break!!!

Mark

------------------
    If in doubt - Call us out

Drewbo
    Firehouse.com Guest

(Sorry if this is long) Just ran across this topic. I have to admit, right now I am half way across the country, serving in the Army. But my last fire will be one that stays with me forever.
    I was volunteering in Bloomsburg PA, where I went to college. It was a Sunday, March 19th, 6am and we got paged out for a structure fire, the TKE (a fraturnity) house. As I turned out of my parking lot on Upper campus of the university I saw the smoke comming up from the area the house was at. Over the scanner it was reported that people were jumping from the second story window and the structure was fully involved. Being a college student I knew they had a party the night before. Right then and their I knew this would be the longest day of my life. ON my way to station 20 I pass the street that TKE is on, from 4 blocks away I could see flames in the middle of the street. The house was rocking. Needless to say the aparatus were not put in service till 6pm. Three TKE brothers died in the blaze. We saved the row homes neighboring the TKE house, with severe damage to the first one. It was a sad day and weeks following for the comunity. I personally saw all three sides of the incident, as a fireman, as a college student and the effects on the community as countless people showed up on the scene to pray and console eachother. Must say that the community and the college really came together at a candle light service the following evening. Sorry to ramble on, I really could have written much more, but the way the communitty joined over this tragedy touched me.

Thanks and be safe.

------------------
    * God Looked down and
    * saw this was bad, it
    * was bad, it was Drew

Engine58
    Firehouse.com Guest

IT HAS NOW BEEN 2 YEARS SINCE OUR LAST STRUCTURE FIRE!! ONLY HAD 2 VERY GOOD STOPS THATS IT....GUESS THAT FIRE PREVENTION REALLY WORKED THIS TIME...

------------------
    Andrew
    South Amboy, New Jersey
    EMS Cadet in NJ
    "EMTS DON'T DIE THEY JUST STABILIZE"

Da Sharkie
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

We had a 3 alarmer 2 weeks ago and what would equate to 2 alarms the next day. The town next to us had 1 the same day as our first. I think we used up our quota for a few months. We average about 10 - 12 good structure fires a year but we break up the lulls with some good MVAs and car fires. Things are starting to slow though. The economy is going too well but we predict when it goes south we will start to get pretty busy with mutual aid and our own.

------------------
    I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it. You can't prove anything.

FireRsq107
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our last "worker" was about a month ago. I wasn't there but from what i heard it was a mobile home which had caught fire. we average about 1-3 working fires a month.

------------------
    Andrew Coe
    Green Pond Fire & Rescue Service.

FF.FOREVER
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Your not going to believe this but we were called again to the town of Corinth for a structure fire on Monday night Sept 4th. When we arrived at the scene the fire was under control and mop-up had been started. All we did is pull a few walls and used the thermal camera for hot spots. Fire was caused by a extension cord being left plugged into a drill. Fire damage was contained to the bedroom closet. GOOD JOB CORINTH!!!!

Firekatz04
    Firehouse.com Guest

We've had a VERY slow year. The first time I saw this post was shortly after it had been started. We'd only been out to a few at that time (FAST truck and on a 2nd alarm). Then the "you know what" hit the fan. From middle of July to middle of August we had 2 Fully Involved jobs and a room and contents, all in our first due. The 2nd job was a 4 bay service station 2 blocks from the firehouse. Dispatch reportd... "PD on scene reporting heavy fire". The twp. FM (next due stations Chief gave the next report)... "Abington 5-9 on location... confirming... we have Bldg. on fire, several cars inside and outside burning, and have had several explosions"...

Since the room and contents job back in mid August, we've only turned the wheel twice.

Firehouse.com Guest

Our last worker was Tuesday night the 5th. They were cooking hot wings and it got a little too hot.

------------------
    Leon Bass
    Jr. Firefighter
    SWVFD Station 16

smokeeater51
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

Working fire? What's that? As of November it will be two years. Thank God for mutual aid. Think I'm going to start handing out matches during fire prevention week.

[This message has been edited by smokeeater51 (edited September 11, 2000).]

Thread Information