Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Brian Dunlap
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool How Long Since your last "Working Fire"

Just Curious...When was the last "Worker" your department responded to ?....How bad ?...Wondering if most everyone is having a slow time ?....My Company has not had a working fire in it's local in almost two years...yet we have assisted a host of others with mutial aid...Second alarms and so forth....Wondering where everyone else sits with this..

bob1350
    Firehouse.com Guest

We've been extreemly busy since New Years Eve. It seems like we are averaging a structure fire a week. Our last working fire was on Friday 6/23: two story wood frame home. Kid started it playing with matches/lighter. A couple of weeks ago, we had a working fire at a antique/flea market store. And the same week as the antique fire, we had a working fire up in the foothills, a beautiful log home burned to the ground(long response time) We're also having our share of wildland fires. Sorry to hear you're not having as much fun as we are!!

FF.FOREVER
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

We haven't had a working fire since Feburary. Been a real slow year this year compared to other. Even our mutial aid towns have been slow. I think I'm going to move to LoveLand Fire Dept. LOL.

Bob Snyder
    Firehouse.com Guest

If we count "workers" as room-and-contents or more involved on arrival, then we're averaging about one a month. The last was Friday, 6/15 (see "Fire Wire" under Shillington, PA - Multiple Dwelling Fire). These have all been mutual aid - the last "worker" in our jurisdiction (borough limits) was about five years ago.

If you add on the "quickies" that take 50 gals or so of water, or the non-structural incidents, you probably go to about 3 per month, on average. Some of these are in our home territory.

Our wost year in recent memory by far was 1997. Off the top of my head, I count 9 fully or near-fully involved structures (on arrival) that year. All of this was mutual aid. These included two incidents accounting for a combined 5 fatalities (all eventually found in areas of the homes that were fully involved on arrival) and a 12-hour marathon for a multi-million dollar mansion. We really don't need to repeat or beat 1997 any time soon in anybody's territory, as far as I'm concerned.

Fireguy57
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our last BIG fire, or any fire for that matter in the Borough here was 17 years ago.
    Now all the old wooden, and row buildings are gone, so I doubt we will ever have a large structure fire again.
    Our neighboring town, well its not a town anymore since 1982 anyway. had all old wood frame buildings, and it was set up like a typical coaling and railroad town, all buildings right together. well they were using a torch to cut a fire escape off the fire house, and they caught the building on fire...morons...they had literally no fire protection at all. In the fire house was a 1923 Reo Speed wagon, a hand drawn ladder cart(which was pulled by the fire truck, and two old hand drawn hose carts. Seems unreal, but the county is still hanging around the 1950's-1970's era on everything including economy!
    Well, anyway, someone went to the electric station and started the fire whistle, the fire truck wouldn't start, so they pushed it up the street. hooked hoses up to the hydrants and used those old playpipes right off the hydrant, by then the fire house was burned , the hotel was almost fully involved, and the high school was on fire. Someone 6 miles away seen the smoke from a shoe plant and set off the fire whistle at the local coal mine,12 fire companies were called by telephone, because 9-1-1 didn't come along till 1992. there were about 500 men standing there as in only two hours the entire town was burned to the ground. They put up a hell of a fight, they had to close the state road because so much foam was collecting on a low bridge. Of the towns 21 buildings that were on main street, there is a Air Force Memorial erected on place.. for the air base closed shortly after the fire burned the only hotels in the county.

We also have has some bad calls out side of town, in the last 15 years we have had 3 fatal fires. And only 1 firefighter injury from a floor collapse.

I always loved to hear the story of the older men of the company about our two towns burning down, and the effort put in to it. something interesting also that after it was all over the town fire whistle was still blowing.....

Engine58
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

We havent had a real working structure fire in almost a year and a half now. we've had plenty of close calls. We also made ALOT of nice stops....But we did Plenty of mutual aid alarms to the scene this year. But hey in a way its a good thing I guess..even though theres nothin like the adrenaline rush you get when your pager goes off 3 in the morning for a reported working structure fire! We used to average around 5-6 workers a year but now all of a sudden they all stopped. our last REAL working fire was last august when a LARGE garage owned by RUral Metro Burnt up which was an over night job do to the roof collapsing. I got pictures of that run if anyone wants them email me at ENGINE058@aol.com and title it FIREPICTURES.

------------------
    Andrew
    South Amboy, New Jersey
    Junior EMS Responder
    "EMTS DON'T DIE THEY JUST STABILIZE"

Tinylad
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Fire, whats that?

smokeatr#50
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our last working fire had to be last year, a house trailer caught fire. We did have a "tire" fire late last year that did take over 6 hours to extinguish but this year has been relatively slow. Even our mutual aide companies have not had too many working fires. However, back in 1998, it was a different story. We had 3 fully involved structure fires in 2 days, included back-to-back calls.
    But, I am not complaining because we have stepped up our training program lately to keep us sharp for when the "big one" does occur. But not having any working fires is acutally good, because when you do have a working fire, it means someone home or something valuable to them is being destoyed. And that is why I became a firefighter, to help the people, so if there are no fires, that is good in my book.

Kelly Tool
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our last one was a Mutual aid 3 months ago which was a 3 story victorian, just 4 days before that we had a trailer, which was personally my last one. We haven't had too many other than that, maybe 4 in the past year. Personally i have been doing this 2 years and i've only been to about 4 working fires, out of 6-7. We have been slow, we are in a mutual aid with 4 other fire depts and between us there hasn't been much going on, but you never know, the next big one could be right around the corner...

------------------
    Put the wet stuff on the red stuff!
    Visit our Dept. Schodack Valley

Philip C
    Firehouse.com Guest

Things are slow in Laurel, MD too. Over the past 5 years we averaged over 2900 calls from our station (3 engines,1 tower ladder, NO ambulance ). So far this year we haven't had a serious worker, just a lot of "quickies" as Bob Snyder spoke of. I always joke and say we are the busiest engine company in the county that DOESN'T see fire! We have less than 100 structure fires a year; most calls are for smells & bells, auto & dumpsters, MVA's and a couple EMS- yeah, a couple thousand! Anyway, I guess fire safety is working . Take care and be safe.

------------------
    Phil Clinard
    Laurel VFD
    Prince George's Co Sta 10
    Laurel, MD
    www.laurelvfd.org

bfd1071
    Firehouse.com Guest

What do you guy's classify a working fire? After reading some of these post some dept call a worker for a car fire, So what do you call a worker?

------------------
    ** The opionions are mine and mine alone, they are not that of my dept or the local**

Brian Dunlap
    Firehouse.com Guest

bfd1071.....I guess I shold have classified what I ment by a "Working Fire"...I ment any fire involving a structure with a loss of most if not all the property. In Boston I'm sure your Department sees "Work" on almost a daily or weekly basis depending on the neiborhood...Some of us Vollie Companies may only see a room/contents fire once or twice a year....Sorry for the confusion...

bob1350
    Firehouse.com Guest

When our first arriving units get on scene and tell dispatch they have a "working structure fire" it means a lot of things.
    1. They are knee deep in sh**
    2. They are passing command and the next arriving officer should take it.
    3. Dispatch auotmatically puts out another volunteer tone.
    4. Automatic recall for paid staff
    5. If you in a POV, you drive a liitle faster cause your brothers need you.
    6. And it ain't no room and contents fire

And yes, we have had at least one working structure fire per month since new years eve!!

nubs84
    Firehouse.com Guest

Fire that's the red stuff right?

E229Lt
    Firehouse.com Guest

'bout 20 minutes ago

chief4102
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our last "worker" was a fully involved motorhome about 2 weeks ago. We've had more structure fires than wildfires this year. MOST UNUSUAL! And weve been busier than normal all year.

Be Safe
    Dan

truckie46
    Firehouse.com Guest

February, 2nd floor well involved upon arrival. A passer-by on a desolate road stopped and awoke the home owner. He did not believe his house was on fire but as he turned after closing his door, the dragon showed his ugly face. Origin was a 55 gallon drum, laid on it's side, split in half and used as a wood stove. Civilian gets the save! Last year, 2 jobs, both top to bottom, front to rear, involved.

------------------
    One can never count the number of lives saved through aggressive fire prevention

firewood7781
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our last fire was in may. Although it was a simple garage fire that was out before the second engine got there. Before that it was Oct of 98 for a fully involved barn fire which was spreading to a nearby kennel. We made a great stop on the kennel and saved a few support beams on the barn. And being a small town w/ no fires, we still talk about it everytime we get together.

ww9610
    Firehouse.com Guest

our last working fire was just a few weeks ago and this year seems busier than normal for our dept. Our dept is a small hardworking dept and we take pride in the work we do considering the manpower and equipment that we have.

Lt P M

D.SCHWER
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our last working job was a mutual aid on neighboring district. End unit townhouse, fully invloved when we arrived.

Thread Information