Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    bob1350
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Chief married to firefighter

Is anyone else happen in the same situation as me. My wife got tired of me having all the fun, so she joined the dept. This was almost 3 years ago. I've been an Asst./Division Chief for a few years now and it becomes real interesting. There's things that go on at the admin. level that she doesn't need to hear about, but I tell her anyway because she "wants to know" and she complains. On scene, she takes everything I say personally. You get the idea. Anyone else going through this? By the way, we have married almost 20 years and are very happy together

Kelly Tool
    Firehouse.com Guest

Sounds like a situation My parents are in, My father has been in 20+ years, i joined 2 years ago and about 4 months ago my sister and mother joined. My father is first asst. chief. We hear anything and everything that goes on. But the funny thing is it doesn't bother any of us. The only problem is when my parents start groping each other it sicks out my sister.

------------------
    Put the wet stuff on the red stuff!
    Visit our Dept. Schodack Valley

Engine58
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I sortof understand you...my brother is first Lt and i'm just sortof a junior..but anyway I do get a little annoyed when he bosses me around and all that stuff but I get over it....But this isnt on the fire ground only at station drills. But I get over it...I dunno what else I can tell ya sorry

------------------
    Andrew
    South Amboy, New Jersey
    Junior EMS Responder
    "EMTS DON'T DIE THEY JUST STABILIZE"

iwood51
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

I'll throw a different spin on this. We had a chief who's wife was a member, but she stuck her nose into everything. All this did was alienate the chief from the members, as the opinion was that we elected him, not his wife, and that she should butt out.

bob1350
    Firehouse.com Guest

iwood51,
    I'm lucky. Everyone on the dept. likes my wife, knows I don't treat her different. My concerns are: her always wanting to know everything, then complaining when I tell her, and wanting to talk fire dept. stuff when I'm burned out from too many meetings. Usually on scene, we're pretty much doing something different anyway

mark440
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Here is a different twist. We have a few members whose wifes are just a pain in the *****. Does not matter what the occasion is without fail we get 2-3 wives showing up and shoving their way into what ever is going on. This may be association meetings or even Fire ground calls, they are always there in the way and gossiping to the rubber neckers. For instance, last summer we had a farmer burning a field near some highway. Smoke covers the highway, we get ourselves a head on MVA with a total of 4 vehicles. Of course the farmer leaves without a trace and the women are bitching up a storm because their cars are wrecked. The Chief's wife works at a local Gas station and word spreads, but it was not the REAL story. So here a year later we find ourselves in a court proceeding about this call from info the wife made last year. There are a few unhappy campers here.

Mark

------------------
    If in doubt - Call us out

iresq
    Firehouse.com Guest

I go to the firehouse to get away from my wife. Is that wrong?

------------------
    Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

bob1350
    Firehouse.com Guest

iresq,
    I used to go to the fire station to get away from my wife too. She got wise and saw how much fun I was having. Now I can never get away.

Neil Murphy
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

I've been in the fire service for ...years, currently a Volunteer Captain, Training Officer, CFI, FFII...anyway, about 2 years ago my wife joined the department. It has been great. Shge really understands why I have been in it for so long.

This is just one of the many things that we enjoying doing together.

pfpchief
    Firehouse.com Guest

my wife does not want to be involved now (we have 5 small childern at home) but swears shes going to join when the kids are older.i dont know about that but i ll cross that bridge when it comes.by then i probley wont be the chief but you never know.right now my father (a past chief ) and my brother are involved . its a family affair

iwood51
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wow, five kids. Your department needs more activity.
    Just kidding, I've got 3 myself

KIPSKI137
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

I HAVE GONE TO THE STATION TO GET AWAY FROM MY WIFE AND KIDS,AFTER 17 YEARS MY WIFE CAUGHT ON NOW I HAVE TO STAY HOME,SHE IS IN TRAINING ALL THE TIME,AND THE DOG HATES TO BE ALONE.

Thread Information