FirefighterReed
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation How many pieces of apparatus to take?

About 2 days ago we had an MVA which the dispatcher let us know there were no injuries or need for rush. Yet our Chief sends all 4 trucks (2 pumpers, 2 tankers) to the scene like we are going to a structure fire. He sends less apparatus to a grass fire which is more serious than an MVA with no injuries. The thing is dispatchers just tell us the situation and we decide how many trucks are needed how does your department do it?

------------------
    Find em hot......Leave em wet...

Fire Fighters job is never done

FFCode3EMT
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

In my area, we send apparatus according to the SOG for the call. In your case, a car accident would get a Medic, Engine, and Heavy Rescue. The first out unit can then cancel responding units, or request additional manpower and units.

------------------
    **The preceding comments in no way represent the views of my department, its members, or associations that it may belong to.**

Kelly Tool
    Firehouse.com Guest

In our dept we have set responses for the different calls. For instance in your case, our response would be for a rescue and ems vehicle. Then, the first arriving can cancel the remainder of the apparatus or call out for more. Like in your case a cheif would of gone to the sence and then reported back as to what is needed.

------------------
    Put the wet stuff on the red stuff!
    Visit our Dept. Schodack Valley

FFTrainer
    Firehouse.com Guest

WOW!! Coming into this topic, I was going to give my standard reply of send 'em all, their easier to cancel then they are to get later if you need them.
    I'm thinking that your chief may have read part of one of my previous posts only he didn't read the cancel them if not needed. What were 2 tankers going to do at an MVA particularly if you have previous knowledge of no injuries and more or less a proceed with caution situation.
    I think the SOP for MVA's in your dept. may need some re-working. We would generally send an engine and maybe a support vehicle due to size and manuverability at a crowded MVA scene.

iresq
    Firehouse.com Guest

Ever heard of risk vs. benifit? Is the risk of having your own mva worth putting 4 pieces on the road for a known non-emergency?

What thought process would lead one to believe that this was the correct thing to do?

iresq
    Firehouse.com Guest

Ever heard of risk vs. benifit? Is the risk of having your own mva worth putting 4 pieces on the road for a known non-emergency?

What thought process would lead one to believe that this was the correct thing to do?

------------------
    Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

Philip C
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

In my county, MVA's are usually dispatched with a standard number and type of apparatus. 1 or 2 vehicles might get an engine, BLS, ALS, and heavy rescue; our communications puts units on the call, not individual companies. The first unit on the scene can make the call to downgrade or ask for more help. Take care and be safe.

fghfg

------------------
    Phil Clinard
    Laurel VFD
    Prince George's Co Sta 10
    Laurel, MD
    www.laurelvfd.org

chf jstano
    Firehouse.com Guest

My first question is what are your SOG's for response of equipment or do any exist? If not, then maybe it's time to set up a committee to develop some.They can be flexible to encompass a variety of situations and the chief can always change the response to fit.Our response to MVA's is engine,heavy rescue,ambulance(X2).When a chief officer gets there and it's a fender bender,cancel the big rigs but let the EMS come to evaluate the occupants.(I don't want the liability and neither do the police.)Structure fires get everything from both stations.Internal alarms:engine,Rescue,ems./Wires down,smell of smoke,etc:engine from which ever station is closer. Most of it is just common sense,but maybe these can give you a starting point.Just make your guidelines fit your particular needs and capabilities. STAY SAFE!!

Truck#109
    Firehouse.com Guest

A standard responce to a 1 or 2 car MVA for us would be our rescue and pumper, and if it occured in a rural area our tanker rolls also.
    Arrive on scene and it turns out to be more, additional help is requested through mutual aid.

------------------
    Play Safe!

M1NFD
    Firehouse.com Guest

I agree with most of what is being said here. There should be an S.O.P. dictating what apparatus responds to what. The issue that I have a problem with is allowing either a civilian dispatch or a police unit to have the ability to reduce the assignment. What I would recommend to this chief would be to have the initial unit respond with due regard to the situation, and have the rest of the compliment respond in a non emergency mode. When the first arriving FIRE unit arrives on scene and verfies what the dispatch has said then he can have the rest of the alarm response stand down. By having the rest of the response respond non emergency, the apparatus is on the road moving in the direction of the incident, thereby reducing the response time over sitting in quarters. By responding non emergency(no lights or siren) the operators are allowed to get some driving time in, and the volunteers that respond get to do something other than sit in quarters

nozzel
    Firehouse.com Guest

PD dispatches everything here. A town of approx 10,000. we have 3 long streches of roadway that tend to get an accident on them everyday. The police dispatcher will try to get as much info as he/she can then decide to send fire or not. (we do not run ems calls here) If we do get toned out we will send an engine and rescue to the scene. If police say there is no need for us we will return if they say nothing we continue in.

JMP17
    Firehouse.com Guest

I'm with M1NFD this MVA could've been called in by a drive by on a cell phone, kind of hard to judge things like that. I kinda wonder about the 2 tankers though. On an MVA we send the Engine, ResQ, Amb. and depending on the type of situation the R-5 on dispatch or upon arrival and assesment. Then call'em as you need'em from there.
    JMP17

Thread Information