FirefighterReed
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation False alarms at 3 AM

We have somebody going around and calling in false alarms at pay phones. It only happens in the middle of the night. The most recent was a few days ago when we got a call for an MVA with entrapment. We are losing sleep, and now we have less and less people who are responding in the middle of the night. Are there any other departments who have ever had this problem?

------------------
    Find em hot......Leave em wet...

Fire Fighters job is never done

E21
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Welcome to the fire service firefighter reed.

Looper
    Firehouse.com Guest

Had a similar problem last year. Someone was calling in apartment fires (6 in 30 hrs) from the payphone in the complex. After the first few, the chief changed the response from 9 aparatus to just the first due engine.

Some members were able to recognize his voice -- they knew him. We involved the County Fire Marshal's office and eventually, they arrested him and got a conviction.

The dispatchers were instructed to dispatch the normal assignment if there was any indication that it wasn't "our friend" calling again.

pfpchief
    Firehouse.com Guest

it happened to us . it was a young member of the dept doing it . he used the same payphone all the timehe got caught because the cops watched the phone.

Brian Dunlap
    Firehouse.com Guest

Middle of the Night False Alarms or Alarm Malfunctions are a situation I think every Department Paid or Volunteer has to deal with....We generally draw 8-12 Members to the middle of the night calls depending on the time because most of our guys start getting ready for work around 530-600am----It also depends on the call we receive if it comes out as a house or building fire we get basicly the whole company {25-35} Except for the third shift workers {Me Included } But if we get an MVA or Wires Call we usually get between 5-10 members....We are only at 237 Calls for 2000 and maybe only 30 or 40 at most have been in the middle of the night....

Eng 48
    Firehouse.com Guest

OK, how about automatic alarm activations. One week we went to the same building at least 4 times a day (and at 3:00 am). Half the guys tend to roll over and go back to sleep. One department I belong to had to make "duty nights" to cover the false alarms. How do you guys solve this problem?

------------------
    Be safe everyone!

Whip
    Firehouse.com Guest

We solved the problem by, such as Looper said, cut down on the apparatus responding. Last month during the last week of school, we went to the high school 9 times, after the third time we went from 8 pieces the the first due engine. Of course the principal annoucing that, after what turned out to be the final time..surprise, that everytime the alarm is pulled from now on will be another day of school.

------------------
    Stay Safe.

Lt. Whip FSI/EMT
    Ledyard CT FD

FirefighterReed
    Firehouse.com Guest

I have to say we don't have many probelms with alarm activations. The neighboring department we are all dispatched on same freq. and I hear them go out at least twice a day everyday for false alarms.

------------------
    Fire Fighters job is never done

I fight what you fear!

Haligan125
    Firehouse.com Guest

I must say I have to disagree, with not evacuating, if there are false alarms, and I disagree with not sending a full box assignment. Although I think 8 pieces is a lot of a street box, I am curious as to what they are. My department, sends 2 engines and a ladder on a street box, and on a desk box 3engines a rescue and a ladder, and a cover piece. So I think 8 is an awful lot. But I think that you are setting yourself up for disaster if you start cutting back on responses. You just have to have the dedication of doing it. I think night duty groups is a good idea. also sending bills to the schools, or apartment complexes may work. It sure will get the public aware of wha's going on when he recive a bill for 500 bucks. That's my thought

Whip
    Firehouse.com Guest

Haligan,
    I just want to explain my post, if in fact it is the one in question. First of all, I don't know about definitions in you area, but in my area a street box is on a pole, this was the Master Box at the town high school. Second, the building was evacuated everytime.
    Finally, the apparatus, I said 8 right? 3 Engines, 2 to the building, and one to a water whole(gotta love country living),3 Tankers/Tenders, like I said the high school and no hydrants. 1 Quint, and 1 Rescue. I know that my portion of this topic kind of got off the main topic about it being 3am. Keep in mind that this is middle of the school day, pull station everytime, and we have a police desk at the school, and unlike some areas, have a great working relationship with our police, so if they say it appears to be false (again) it probably is.I hope this explains it a little better.

------------------
    Stay Safe.

Lt. Whip FSI/EMT
    Ledyard CT FD

Whip
    Firehouse.com Guest

The now world famous double post. :-)

[This message has been edited by Whip (edited August 03, 2000).]

Fireguy57
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

We had the most humerous false alarm this morning. You have all heard of the all famous cat-in-tree calls, well, at 4:55am today we were dispatched for an auto fire alarm in a senior citizen home-which happens all the time, burnt food, bored old men with the pull stations...etc. But this time, it was a Cat! A woman had went away for the weekend and left her cat, forgeting about removing the pull cord on the bedroom fire alarm. The cat pulled it down, thus sending in an alarm. I'm glad the only thing my cat does is sleep!

Thread Information