FirefighterReed
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Proper radio etiquette

Does anybody know a website that has all the 10-x codes listed like 10-4 and 10-2. I was wondering if there was a website with all the codes listed.

------------------
    Find em hot......Leave em wet...

Fire Fighters job is never done

mtnfireguy
    Firehouse.com Guest

Check with your local law enforcement agencies. They should have a copy you can have for the codes used in your area.

There is about three versions of the ten-code and more and more agencies are ditching the ten-code for clear text.

Also, if all else fails check with your local radio shack.

Looper
    Firehouse.com Guest

Be careful using 10-codes. Like mtnfireguy said, there are different versions out there.

A few years ago, a deputy from another county was on the freeway and radio'd that he had rolled up on a 10-50 and just needed a wrecker. We were amazed that he didn't at least call for an ambualnce to come out and make sure.

You see, in his county a 10-50 is an accident. In my area a 10-50 is a DOA.

CHFD126
    Firehouse.com Guest

I agree to be skeptical when using 10 codes. The way we are taught is to acknowledge receipt of transmission and repeat it back. That way there is no confusion between the two parties talking. While it takes a second longer, I'd take the clarity over that second any day.

Engine58
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

We only use 10-10 codes not really a need for using all of them..and theres ALOT in my area....we use

10-1--In-Service Or Responding
    10-2--Proceed with Caution
    10-3--Arriving On Scene
    10-4--What is usually stands for hehehe
    10-7--Back In the Station and Out of Service
    10-8--CLearing the scene returning to station
    10-10--Stop by hte station
    10-21--Call (Location)
    10-58--Unit Will be on a maintenance Run
    10-5--Never really use it But its the same as 10-7

But Basically we use about 4-5 of them Mostly..A few we never use to much such as 10-2 and 10-5....Like everyone else said it depends on the area and be careful you dont mess up because once in our area like looper a guy calls our dispatch saying we have a 10-75 and our codes that means I think a minor MVA..but where he's from NEw York With FDNY and that means a working fire...so he's tellin the dispatcher to send fire and ems ASAP (this is on the phone) and the dispatcher goes why and finally the guy goes because theres a building on fire!! The dispatcher goes OH WeLL YOU SHould of sAID soMETHING In the first plACE!

------------------
    Andrew
    South Amboy, New Jersey
    Junior EMS Responder
    "EMTS DON'T DIE THEY JUST STABILIZE"

FFTrainer
    Firehouse.com Guest

FYI to any Jersey FF's out there, 10 codes are technically no longer legal by order of the IMS 200 system. All radio transmission is to be clear text. It does make life a little easier with things like multiple versions of 10 codes.

Engine58
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

In response to FFTRAINER's Post yes I know that but its not like we use them all the time just to a minimum we use them...I was just telling the others that if we DO use the codes we only use 1 or 2 of those 10. Maybe 1 or 2 calls a week we use a code.. Saying we are 10-7 or 10-8 but mainly we use 10-58 Which means maintenance run. But thats about it...

------------------
    Andrew
    South Amboy, New Jersey
    Junior EMS Responder
    "EMTS DON'T DIE THEY JUST STABILIZE"

MetalMedic
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

From my understanding, there is an "official" 10-code that is endorsed by the Association of Public Safety Communications Operators (APCO)... I checked their website, but could not locate them there. They publish a book on radio communications that list the 10-codes and the ones they recommend.

------------------
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

FFTrainer
    Firehouse.com Guest

58, not trying to shoot directly at you!!? If I read it now, it kind of looks that way..
    Besides, we use them too since it is generally hard to teach an old dog new tricks and oh does that apply to some of our guys.........

Thread Information