AFD23
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post A dispatching nightmare!!!!!!!!!!!!

I SHOULD START UOT BY SAYING THAT OUR DEPT IS ALL VOLLIE WITH 40 MEMBERS COVERING A CITY,TOWNSHIP AND A TOLL RAOD, THE PROBLEM WE ARE HAVING IS THAT WE ARE DISPATCHED THROUGH 911 AND OUR LOCAL POLICE DEPT, WE NEVER HAVE A PROBLEM WITH 911 BUT OUR POLICE DEPT FEELS THAT THEY HAVE TO GO TO ALL ALARMS, CAR FIRES AND HOUSE FIRES TO MAKE SURE THEIR IS SOMETHING BURNING BEFORE THEY WILL CALL OUT THE FIRE DEPT I AM UNSURE IF THIER IS ANY STATE LAW THAT WOULD REQUIRE THEM TO DISPATCH THE FIRE DEPT ON ALL CALLS OF A FIRE. I JUST FEEL THAT PEOPLE INSTALL FIRE ALARM SYSTEMS ONE THEIR HOMES AND BUSNISSES TO FEEL SAFE AND WHEN YOU SMOKE DETECTOR GOES OFF YOU GET A PATROLMAN INSTEAD OF A FIREMAN KNOCKING ON YOUR DOOR AND THE FIRE DEPT IS DELAYED FOR NO REASON I DONOT KNOW IF ANYONE ELSE IS HAVEING OR HAS HAD THE SAME PROBLEM AND HOW IT WAS ADDRESSED

pokeyfd12
    Firehouse.com Guest

AFD23, we had the same problem about 10 years ago when our 911 system was put into place. We are an all volunteer department as well and our 911 calls go directly to the police department. Our county 911 system is broken down into six geographic zones, and all 911 calls (except cellular which goes to the State Police) go to one of the six police departments that cover those zones.

The police departments dispatch police and EMS for their area BUT any fire calls are supposed to be transferred immediately to the county fire dispatch. The desk officer can listen to the conversation and dispatch his officers accordingly but he cannot hold a fire call.

When they first implemented the system, we would be sitting at the firehouse monitoring the police over the scanner and hear the cars get dispatched for a "possible structure fire" or "check a report of smoke in the area". We had the doors open, were geared up and halfway out of the parking lot with the apparatus when the tones finally did come in. Sometimes the tones wouldn't come in at all. I was working for a communications company at the time and decided to start taping the police channel, mostly during the overnight hours. I used a voice activated 12-hour recorder and checked the tape every day. What did this give me?? I wound up with six 90-minute tapes. The tapes were full of police cars going to fire calls that the FD was never notified of or where the police officer was dispatched long before FD was called out. I had the voices, time of call etc. on audio tape if it was disputed and our fire call log would speak for itself compared to the PD call log.

It eventually came down to speaking with the Chief of Police, his liason to the fire dept. and the county 911 director in a meeting where the tapes were played. The Chief of Police was visibly upset with some of the voices he heard and the county 911 director eventually came up with a rock solid SOP about PD's tranferring the fire call immediately to fire dispatch. Since then, there hasn't been a problem. Sure the cop still gets there first but we're not too far behind.

Lt. Kevin C. (aka pokey)

MetalMedic
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

First off.. PLEASE TRY NOT TO USE ALL CAPITAL LETTERS... It's hard to read and some people take it that you are yelling.

Am I to assume your police and fire chiefs do not get along well? I would think it would be very easy to have the fire chief meet with the police chief to have him/her direct his/her dispatchers to send the FD to all potential fire calls and THEN send a police car.

If that is not possible, it might be time for your members to use the political clout that volunteers seldom take advantage of. I am sure the political figures for the city and township could be easily convinced that there is a problem and then they could bring some pressure to bear on the police department to see to it that the fire department does the fire work and the cops stick to fighting crime.

------------------
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

Chief900
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

C'mon folks!!! This dilemma is as old as the fire service is... What works in one area won't necessarily work in another. But the best suggestion is the one previously mentioned-Have the people who should be deciding this one (the Chiefs) sit down and work it out.

Truck#109
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

You want to talk about frustrating?

Just recently we were dispatched to a car fire on the local freeway by 911 through our local dispatch. When we arrived on scene, there was nothing visible. We called dispatch, found out that they were talking to the police, and that the fire was 5 miles down the road in the other direction.

...and people wonder and complain about why it taking so long for us to get on scene!!!

------------------
    Play Safe!

DFDRev
    Firehouse.com Guest

In response to TRUCK 109: People with cell phones often cause the location problem. They see an accident, pick up their cellular and dial 9-1-1 while continuing to cruise down the freeway. When the dispatcher asks where the accident is, they state the number of the mile marker that they are passing at the moment - unfortuantely they have driven five miles down the road. This problem occurs frequently in a large metro area. Our state police dispatch center (which recieves all cell calls) will get 20-30 calls on an incident with several locations given - sometimes they just have to guess or go with the majority.

------------------
    Views expressed are my own and do not reflect those of the Department I serve.

LMRCap1
    Firehouse.com Guest

We used to have the same problem and still do to a point. We run as a First responder on all medical calls-usually the ambulance(private) gets dispatched then us. The police used to get dispatched before us even. That has changed-police were dispatched on an unknown accident-they were then delayed due to something. This is very rural area we are dealing with. The second call came in 45 minutes later with more info and we were dispatched-still no police on scene at our arrival. We had a vehicle rolled over with the subject pinned in the vehicle deceased. Things have now changed and we get dispatched on any unknowns first.

------------------

AFD23
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

It would appear that this is a common problem, our chief knowsm this goes on and tries to pasifie us by telling us he had a meeting with the police chief and the dispatchers, well it does not take long for the same thing to happen again,the real tragedy is that the state makes it mandatory for all commercial,apartments and hospitials to have these monitiored alarm systems and you get only the response from the PD instead of the fire dept and the last time I checked the 40 hour fire class was not given to police officiers, so back to the originial question is thier a law to to aide this problem?????

------------------

Jim M.
    Firehouse.com Guest

No.

jj1967
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

We used to have this problem in my hometown. Until one day a police officer (who was also a volunteer fireman and should have known better) was "checking a reported smoke coming from a building" opened the front door and woke up across the street. It was like something out of Backdraft. Now fire equipment gets dispatched first.

Brian Dunlap
    Firehouse.com Guest

The Police Department has NO BUSINESS checking out Fire Related Incidents before calling you guys out !!! Someone needs to bring this up at a local council meeting and let the residents know that thier safety could be in jepordy.....Think about it if the Fire Department had the Dispatching Control would we go out and investigate a Domestic Fight or Robbery before calling out the police ? No.....We don't chase thier car thieves they shouldn't be investigating our grass and auto fires before calling us out....Our Police Department has tried in the past to return us before we arrive on scene because they felt we were not needed....We simply take the advisement by radio and proceed in anyway....Our Chiefs won't tolerate that at all !!!

capt103
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

My my., and i thought we were the only department with this problem. we are a combo department, with volunteers meeting the trucks at the scene. We sit at the station and listen to the 911 dispatchers give out fire calls to the pd, i still havnt found out where the patrol cars carry the water,our problem is that we operate under a psd system, with the psd being police first. we have taped, complained, yelled, cussed, and the problem will be better untill its shift change time. If anyone has a answer to this please let me know. we have been told they dont want all the extra traffic responding to an emergency call. Its better that the fire department arrives sooner than later, I stil think we can put out more fire with our fire engines than with a bullet,or maybe the pd carries special water bullets to put out or fires. I know that their fire extinguisher refill bill is higher than ours, and that those polyester suits sure love to melt to human bodies.

Brian Dunlap
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

capt103....Ever herd the question "How do you know you have a confirmed Haz-Mat Incident with dangerous Chemicals leaking ? " Simple Answer by the number of Sick or Dying Police Officers that fiqured that call for fumes in the area was not a Fire Department Matter because THEY didn't want extra equipment on scene....BULL S**T Sounds like your town is like many others I have read about in this post Someone in the PD is going to get Hurt or even Worse...KILLED because they tried to enter a Structure Fire w/o Protective Gear or SCBA {Why do Cops do this ?} Must be the I have a Badge/Gun Theory and I'm Imortal.....It's just getting worse day in and day out ....Yet my community has a great relationship with our PD {4 of our Members are Police Officers in our town} One of Which is Our Asst. Chief and to top it off Our Chief is a Patrolman in the next town over from ours so we raley have problems with the PD thank-goodness....

Thread Information