FFTrainer
    Firehouse.com Guest

Woodman and D. --

Keep this website for reference. It has all the contacts you need in our good old East Orange office.
    http://www.njstatefiremensrelief.com

WOODMAN
    Firehouse.com Guest

Great news,I just got a sour taste with those
    knuckle heads since last year's convention
    and old Frankie boy has not spoken to me since then,but thanks for the link and hopefully Mr.D. can get his sitution fixed.

wrongWAY
    Firehouse.com Guest

Here's my 2 cents on some EXCELLENT issues that have been raised:

First; It's my opinion that the State of New Jersey should again pass legislation raising the age limitation for membership into the New Jersey State Firemen's Association. All across the State there are individuals, some only pushing 50, who responded to fire department membership drives and joined up, only to be "too old" to get a line number and become State Exempt. The State of New Jersey needs to address those statutes again.

Second; We've been filing NFIRs since 1994; and while they're sometimes a big pain in the neck I have found them to be packed with usefull information. For example: Using our annual figures, the breakdown year after year since '94 shows that the number of fire calls we receive from 6 am to 6 pm Monday through Friday is almost equal to the number of fire calls we receive from 6 pm to 6 am Monday through Friday AND on weekends. The numbers will vary from month to month, but when the smoke clears on December 31st our NFIRs show that everything for that year equals out. I understand that this may not be true for your department; but in our case, annually speaking, a typical weekday job that prevents a volunteer from attending weekday fires will not in itself prevent that volunteer from making his or her percentage of fire calls a good one.

Third; LOSAPs, the Length Of Service Award Program (a 401K type plan) for volunteer firefighters will be appearing on the November ballots in several New Jersey towns. If passed by the voters, a volunteer will be required to attend X% of fires, drills, meetings, and etc to qualify for his or her LOSAP. LOSAPs can be one way to clear out the "dead beats" in any volunteer fire department. Introduce and pass a department by-law allowing the department to drop any member that fails to meet the LOSAP requirement 2-3 years running, and have the Mayor and Council make that by-law an ordinance as well.

Just my 2 cents.

Dr. Law
    Firehouse.com Guest

I am a 'newbie' here, but going on 10 years now as a VFF. Our society is not changing, it has changed.
    My department is a small one, and I was put on two days after making an off-hand dumbass remark while watching few respond to a daytime call. I said that if they would put a brass pole outside of my 3rd floor office window, I could slide down it and be over at the station before anybody else. One of my secretaries was a firemans' wife, and while I never had it confirmed that she told her hubby this, I do have my suspicions. As I said, that was almost ten years ago.
    Our little town has employers who realize the value of volunteers and with one exception, let all go to calls on work time.
    We have been blessed in this respect.
    We have also been blessed to have a strong 'retired' volunteer group that will also come if more manpower is needed.
    Not everybody can become a firefighter or volunteer ambulance member. It takes a certain dedication and possible insanity to do some of the stuff that we do. Our department 'drafts' members some of the time. If they can make the committment, fine, if not, we do not think any worse of them. Sometimes we have people who want to get on and then find the time and effort committment more than they thought. Again, not everybody can do this.
    I fear that the increased training requirments that are being forced on us will take more out of service than puts people in on our all volunteer outfit, again, because of time and effort required.
    Currently, our department has requirements for minimum hours of training and meeting attendance. Due to insurance reasons, we are probably going to be forced to let those people go who do not come to training sessions even though they are good on the job. That is going be a hard thing considering we are already a small department.
    Training, however valuable, cannot be the instrument of precluding volunteer organizations across the country. There needs to be a happy medium met of training vs. a practical reality check of the ability of the public to give time to volunteer.
    I do not think that the "Age of Volunteers" has totally died out yet, but without some careful thought and planning, the "Age of Volunteers" can be killed.

ENGINE18-3
    Firehouse.com Guest

To answer the question - probably. (I know that is basically dodging the question.)
    Now to all the people that called my generation the "me first generation" (I am 19) Thats part of the problem all (I know I am going to catch flak for this one) the "old" guys look at you like you have 3 heads and like E-ONE trucks when you suggest progressive (there that "P" word) and Ideas for the company. I have to admit I wouldn't of joined my Company if my Dad wasnt a member and if I hadnt of grown up at the firehouse. What is needed is better and more active recruitment to get the "me 1st generation" involed in the Fire Service. But we also need more tolerance for the "me 1st generation" that does get involved.

------------------
    FF Greg Grudzinski
    Oaklyn Fire Dept.
    Station 18-3

LHS'
    Firehouse.com Guest

Is the age of volunteers dying out? I think so we only had enough people to send 5 rigs mutual aid and then only 77 showed up at a haystack fire at 2 am.

SRFD1604
    Firehouse.com Guest

I feel the age of the volunteer is fading out in some communities, I have been a volunteer for 13 yrs and am currently on a dept. that is starting to hire proffessional firefighters, this is due to the growth of the city not the lack of dedication on our members. I have seen on other deptartment and ours at times that the so call bull**** call no one shows up then when a structure call comes in, everyone wants to show up. Our chief highly encourages recruitment and family events. Face it the fire service is a brotherhood regardless if your paid or volunteer and we're all proffesionals.

Thread Information