Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Emergency Lights for Vol FF/EMTs

Forum Member

Had to love the guy with PA tags and Penn State decals on his Jeep Wrangler crossing the 14th St. Bridge from VA into DC running his red lights through traffic this morning, what's the emergency dude, late for your internship at FEMA?
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by ndvfdff33 View Post
    While it may tick you off it is the truth. I am not saying I don't pull over for courtesy lights because I do, unless of course the person is driving like a total jackass. If I see a person driving sensibly behind me with a light flashing you can bet your *** I will pull over, unless it's unsafe to do so. I guess I have that attitude because I have never had a light and know for a fact I can make the same response time to my hall as bozo with his courtesy light honking away at folks.

There is other members than are responding to get trucks or staff them, so drive sensibly and safely and get there when you get there.
    I like the It may tick you off angle. It not only may tick me off it DOES tick me off. There are people in the fire service (I won't call them firefighters because most I've encountered wouldn't make a sweaty mole on a firefighters butt cheek) that the minute they join the local volunteer they deck their personal vehicle out with as many flashing lights as their poor alternator will allow the amp draw for, that are never seen out of their fire department T shirt, have their department issued radio on scan so they can hear calls they will never be called to, and when there is a complaint they are the one that it is lodged about. These idiots are the ones that tick me off. And you can see them coming. It could be more BS than on a cattle auction floor and they are in the wind wide *** open and nobody can stop them. And most of them are OUT standing firemen. Out standing by the mailbox waiting on the mailman. I've got 16 years in. I do have lights on my truck. I use them only when using my vehicle instead of our departments battalion chief's car. And even when I run them there is no excessive speed or acting a fool.
    To err is human, To forgive divine and at times I am as much of both as you will ever find

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MTKROUSH View Post
    And even when I run them there is no excessive speed or acting a fool.
    And see....this is all that matters. It doesn't matter if you have one light or one hundred. As long as the one behind the wheel uses common sense and "Everyones" safety in mind, there should be no problem.

For all the ones who use their lights appropriately, you never see a post in here about how proud someone is for seeing them doing so, but if one idiot "MISS"-uses them, you get four thousand pages here in this forum.

Soooooooo, lets take these threads with a grain of salt and move on with our lives.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MTKROUSH View Post
    And even when I run them there is no excessive speed or acting a fool.
    That is main thing. If you drive like a normal person and not an aggressive a-hole those are the kind of folks I have no problem pulling over for.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Here in WI red may be used by vol's in POV, no siren = obey traffic laws; may also park at scene irregardless of locaction if 360 degree visibilty night/day of the red flash/strobe/osc light, siren + red = is classified as an AEV responding TO an emergency as paged, wigwags only allowed if approved by chief and chief has filed as per state statute. Green is for command vehicle only (on scene if I read leg'n right). Blues only for LE. Whites can be used in Ambulances and School buses, unsure of other applicable instances.
    Question for WI residents though, I haven't read or found any info in state law regarding strobing/flashing/alternating tail (red) lights. Yes/No?
    Back home in ON as said above green is permitted for vol's in POV responding to emergency as paged, no siren allowed. It is the law for motorists to pull over so kind of in between a courtesy light and running code. Blues maybe used by snow removal and LE only. Reds FD, Ambulance and LE only. Purple only for funeral procession lead vehicle. Wigwags only LE, FD and Ambulances IIRC.
    As to the dead horse, I am a recently new resident to WI and this thread has been enlightening and beneficial, and is very timeless until a federal mandate regarding as such comes down.

Thumbs up

I love NC's laws on emergency lights, sirens, etc. There is no need for a siren unless you are a high rank in the department and you really know what you are doing.

Red/White lights are acceptable, and you may have as many as you please...as long as your cheif says it's okay. Personally, I don't see why people light their cars up like Las Vegas, but that's their business. In my opinion, all you NEED to have is the necessary lights to move traffic. I am currently only 17, but when I turn 18 in a few months, I will get another light so that I may be seen from the rear.

You don't want to get pulled over by law enforcement for traffic offenses if you're going to a call, so if you have your caution flashers on, your dash light, and your rear deck light, you should be fine. The one in the back will just be all red..

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Loganx1021 View Post
    You don't want to get pulled over by law enforcement for traffic offenses if you're going to a call, so if you have your caution flashers on, your dash light, and your rear deck light, you should be fine. The one in the back will just be all red..
    You should NEVER be in a situation that could get you pulled over while responding.

Cops in my county will stop firefighters that are responding if they break any laws. They dont give warnings. They give tickets.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by modernmidnight View Post
    You should NEVER be in a situation that could get you pulled over while responding.

Cops in my county will stop firefighters that are responding if they break any laws. They dont give warnings. They give tickets.
    I know its a dead horse but this point is very important.

If you are in a position to get pulled over while responding to a call, you and your deptartment have BIG issues. It might be because I am thirtysomething rather than 18/21 but I believe you ALWAYS drive with due regard on the roads. With or without lights of any kind, POV or apparatus, you are the professional and you need to act like it. This goes for driving in general, not just for calls.

I guess I am pretty lucky. Where I am at, we are really lucky and nobody tolerates such nonsense or recklessness. It doesn't take a call or LEO's to correct someone who is reckless or getting that way. We do it inhouse well before that can be an signifcant issue. As such, our local law enforcement is an aid to us, not a problem or source of concern.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Loganx1021 View Post
    I love NC's laws on emergency lights, sirens, etc. There is no need for a siren unless you are a high rank in the department and you really know what you are doing.

Red/White lights are acceptable, and you may have as many as you please...as long as your cheif says it's okay. Personally, I don't see why people light their cars up like Las Vegas, but that's their business. In my opinion, all you NEED to have is the necessary lights to move traffic. I am currently only 17, but when I turn 18 in a few months, I will get another light so that I may be seen from the rear.

Sounds like you are there for the wrong reasons. Getting another light? You shouldnt have one now. You are 17. Have you had EVOC? I would bet on no. And as others have said, you shouldnt have to worry about getting pulled over, running red lights or not. They dont make you incincible.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

STATE OF TEXAS

Texas Statutes
    Transportation Code

Sec. 546.004. EXCEPTIONS TO SIGNAL REQUIREMENT. (a) A volunteer fire fighter who operates a private vehicle as an authorized emergency vehicle may engage in conduct permitted by Section 546.001 only when the fire fighter is using visual signals meeting the pertinent requirements of Sections 547.305 and 547.702.
    Sec. 546.005. DUTY OF CARE. This chapter does not relieve the operator of an authorized emergency vehicle from:
    (1) the duty to operate the vehicle with appropriate regard for the safety of all persons; or
    (2) the consequences of reckless disregard for the safety of others

Sec. 547.305. RESTRICTIONS ON USE OF LIGHTS. (a) A motor vehicle lamp or illuminating device emergency vehicle warning lamp, that projects a beam with an intensity brighter than 300 candlepower shall be directed so that no part of the high-intensity portion of the beam strikes the roadway at a distance of more than 75 feet from the vehicle.

Sec. 547.702. ADDITIONAL EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS FOR AUTHORIZED EMERGENCY VEHICLES. (a) An authorized emergency vehicle may be equipped with a siren, exhaust whistle, or bell: ..that emits a sound audible under normal conditions at a distance of at least 500 feet.

c) Except as provided by this section, an authorized emergency vehicle shall be equipped with signal lamps that:
    (1) are mounted as high and as widely spaced laterally as practicable;
    (2) display four alternately flashing red lights, two located on the front at the same level and two located on the rear at the same level; and
    (3) emit a light visible at a distance of 500 feet in normal sunlight.
    (d) A private vehicle operated by a volunteer firefighter responding to a fire alarm or a medical emergency may, but is not required to, be equipped with signal lamps that comply with the requirements of Subsection (c).
    (e) A private vehicle operated by a volunteer firefighter responding to a fire alarm or a medical emergency may be equipped with a signal lamp that is temporarily attached to the vehicle roof and flashes a red light visible at a distance of at least 500 feet in normal sunlight.

I don't see how a full fledged xmas tree roof mounted lightbar qualifies???

Forum Member

I usually run with nothing on, not even my 4 ways unless im out of town. Then i will run 4 ways sometimes. No sirens, no lights, nothing. its really unnecessary, since people who see the 4 ways on realize immediately what your about and slow down for you. I have yet to even see a high ranking officer with red lights on their cars, sure ive seen other departments with members with lights all over them but they usually end up just looking like idiots.

there are only a few reasons i can see someone NEEDING lights on a car, 1 is a chief who is following the engines to the scene so he can be recognized along with the engines or apparatus he is following as emergency personnel. and 2 are people who are providing traffic control. Around here we usually dont have engines to spare to use for running traffic control and people use their own cars, at night especially it really helps to have a red light to allert people ahead of time, sometimes with 4 ways on people will still try and pass you because they think you are just broken down or sitting there for some reason.

Forum Member

Post No its like this.

Quote Originally Posted by FirefighterReed View Post
    In TN it is like this

FF/EMS= red & white or just red/siren

------------------
    Find em hot......Leave em wet...

Fire Fighters job is never done
    No in TN. you can have red,white,or amber in the front,or combination,but only red,and amber in the back,but you have to have 360 degree light vision.You also must have a siren.i,VE GOT THE COPY OF THE LAW.

Forum Member

It's kind of pitiful when it sounds like the reason some people volunteer is so they can put cool lights on their car and operate contrary to traffic laws.

My hats of to those who do it for the right reason.
    I believe them bones are me. Some say we are born into the grave. I feel so alone, gonna end up a big ol' pile a them bones

-J. Cantrell

Forum Member

I have a great way to solve all the light problems.

It will eliminate all the infighting here among the posters. It will eliminate confusion about who can do what in what state. It will eliminate everything. All the problems.

Pass a federal law forbidding the use of emergency lights on POV's. Period.

Problem solved.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    I have a great way to solve all the light problems.

It will eliminate all the infighting here among the posters. It will eliminate confusion about who can do what in what state. It will eliminate everything. All the problems.

Pass a federal law forbidding the use of emergency lights on POV's. Period.

Problem solved.
    I have a better plan.. Pass a federal law that makes the use, color and manner of display uniform so that there is only ONE right way to do it, and not a different way for every set of laws and value systems. It just amazes me that in Ohio, blue lights are ONLY for law enforcement, and when you cross the state line to the east, the blue lights become "courtesy lights" for volunteers....
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

MembersZone Subscriber

Post For Wisconsin...

Quote Originally Posted by Sprout View Post
    Here in WI red may be used by vol's in POV, no siren = obey traffic laws; may also park at scene irregardless of locaction if 360 degree visibilty night/day of the red flash/strobe/osc light, siren + red = is classified as an AEV responding TO an emergency as paged, wigwags only allowed if approved by chief and chief has filed as per state statute. Green is for command vehicle only (on scene if I read leg'n right). Blues only for LE. Whites can be used in Ambulances and School buses, unsure of other applicable instances.
    Question for WI residents though, I haven't read or found any info in state law regarding strobing/flashing/alternating tail (red) lights. Yes/No?
    Back home in ON as said above green is permitted for vol's in POV responding to emergency as paged, no siren allowed. It is the law for motorists to pull over so kind of in between a courtesy light and running code. Blues maybe used by snow removal and LE only. Reds FD, Ambulance and LE only. Purple only for funeral procession lead vehicle. Wigwags only LE, FD and Ambulances IIRC.
    As to the dead horse, I am a recently new resident to WI and this thread has been enlightening and beneficial, and is very timeless until a federal mandate regarding as such comes down.
    You seem to have a pretty good handle on light laws in Wisconsin. Make sure you have the Chief's OK for the siren as well. There is nothing regarding tail/back-up light flashing in the state. Most of the guys around here just have one or two red's to the rear instead of the tail flashers. It's avoids the whole "whacker" and "cop wanna be" flack you might get. To clarify, POV's can have white as well in combo with red. Good luck. Message me if you have any more questions.

Forum Member

I agree, but here's the kicker. The cost to change LEO's to a uniform standard will be costly.

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMedic View Post
    I have a better plan.. Pass a federal law that makes the use, color and manner of display uniform so that there is only ONE right way to do it, and not a different way for every set of laws and value systems. It just amazes me that in Ohio, blue lights are ONLY for law enforcement, and when you cross the state line to the east, the blue lights become "courtesy lights" for volunteers....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrianB35 View Post
    I agree, but here's the kicker. The cost to change LEO's to a uniform standard will be costly.
    Nothing is cheap... and this is something that certainly could be done through attrition as equipment is replaced and upgraded. The law could easily be worded to require that any new or replacement emergency lighting equipment would meet the new standard. Where the expense would lie would be for the volunteers who do not wear out their equipment so quickly. Eventually, they would need to comply even though their lights may be in near perfect condition. The answer there is to get the emergency lighting manufacturers on board with buy-back offers... perhaps something that some of the "stimulus package" money could be used for. Making more lights makes more jobs (at least for those who make them in the USA).
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Default P.O.V lights

Im on a small dept. in Oklahoma im not sure what the state laws are on this, I know a few guys that run some simple strobe packages. im pretty sure we are allowed some lights by law of course you have to get approved by local po,po's. Our city officers are talking about writting tickets to vol. responding to the station driving in exess of the speed limit how do you guys feel about this .

Nathan,

Carney fire

Forum Member

Default lightbar colors

We use red/blue with siren , state statutes require we use all blue for volunteer but my depy allows red and blue in our pov.

Well this is probably a dumbguy question but I am getting back on a Vol Fire Dept in texas after serving in Italy for 3yrs with the USAF, What colors are we allowed to have and is a siren still required

thanks guys

Forum Member

New Jersey DMV Hand book states that Blue & White Lights,electric horns and sirens are leagle to have how ever the police will give you a hard time about the sirens and horns!!!
    Fire Fighter Brandon Shuler Badge #141
    Spruce Pine Volunteer Fire & Rescue
    Spruce Pine NC

Thumbs down lights

Please do your checking before you purchase LED lights from unknown venders (LEDOUTFITTERS.COM) They may seem to be great prices but in the long run they don't last and are defective and the company does not treat customers with any respect. There are several posts here talking about them.

Thanks
    Shawn

MembersZone Subscriber

Default POV lights

I have a veritable Christmas tree on my vehicle.

However, that was mainly for when I lived outside of town. Now that I live in town I rarely use my lights or siren. I generally use my lights when I go directly to the scene of a traffic accident. I go on more EMS calls than Fire calls.

The last time I used my lights was when I was using my vehicle to close a road (we had to close three roads and we didn't want to use the apparatus since they were needed elsewhere).

I feel as long as the person who is driving the vehicle is following the law they are entitled to as many lights as they are legally allowed. I admit...I can't stand seeing someone with fire department plates driving down the road honking their horn with only their hazards on. Put a little red light on your dash to properly identify yourself. Hazards just confuse people.

Forum Member

Ladies and gentlemen,

There is a man by the name of shawn Tripp who is posting inaccurate information about our company. He is a thief and steals lighting products, and then files charge backs against reputable companies. I would not deal with him

Thread Information