Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Emergency Lights for Vol FF/EMTs

Forum Member

I'm with Nathan on this. If you are going to do it, then do it. Putting a tiny dash light on your vehicle and assuming people see you is a mistake.

If you can afford the extra lights - use them. If anyone has a problem with the amount of warning lights you use, simply ignore them. In the end, why give a crap about what other people say about your "light setup."

I mean..really? It's a couple blinki flashers on a car. Why this is such a hot issue with certain people...
    Dave Bieniek

FF/EMT
    Valley Grove Vol. Fire Department

EMT
    Tri-State Ambulance

Professional in either role.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB304 View Post
    If you can afford the extra lights - use them. If anyone has a problem with the amount of warning lights you use, simply ignore them. In the end, why give a crap about what other people say about your "light setup."
    Dave, we do have one person on our department that has a really pathetic light on their dash. When it's light outside you can't even see the thing. At night you can see it, but you don't realize what it is.

I get teased about my lights, but mine are all internal mounted lights and not the big lightbar on top.

This is the front view of my car. There is sound with this youtube file and it's loud.

Forum Member

I'm with Nathan on this. If you are going to do it, then do it. Putting a tiny dash light on your vehicle and assuming people see you is a mistake.

I mean..really? It's a couple blinki flashers on a car. Why this is such a hot issue with certain people...
    I agree with this... I am not for lighting up the thing like a christmas tree but don't waste your time and money going with something that no one will see. I simply have the Mini-Phantom kit (1 front and 2 rear deck lights)... they are wired seperate so I can use the rears if I am going to be operating on the side of the road / blocking traffic, staged on scene before the ambulance to give them a visual in a rural area as they come in, etc... these are rare events for me and I rarely even need to turn on the things period (I try to use the best judgement based on each call) I would say I use the front a half dozen times are year tops and the rears maybe 1 or 2 times a year. No one moves over for the lights here anyways if you are driivng so they are pretty pointless in that aspect.. just great for scene / traffic control.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyt2627 View Post
    Well this is probably a dumbguy question but I am getting back on a Vol Fire Dept in texas after serving in Italy for 3yrs with the USAF, What colors are we allowed to have and is a siren still required

thanks guys
    Easiest way to keep it all straight, your outer most lights must be red. So if you are going to run a lightbar then the corners must be red, if you runnng grille lights then outer most must be red, etc. This is the rules as i understand them and is in no way the proven correct way, but i have had some of the deputies around here say that i am correct. My department is in east texas.

Exclamation court action against Mike Kaffash LEDOUTFITTERS.com / Strobe light king

Quote Originally Posted by LEDOUTFITTERS View Post
    Ladies and gentlemen,

There is a man by the name of shawn Tripp who is posting inaccurate information about our company. He is a thief and steals lighting products, and then files charge backs against reputable companies. I would not deal with him
    Mr. Kaffash, will you never learn? I have mailed a complaint off to the BBB, Visa - DOI Fed Credit Union, The UPS Store, and the State of New York in regards to your business practices. Then to no suprise to me you have called me a lier and indicated that I've posted inaccurate information about your company. The fact that YOU have called me a thief and that I steal lighting products when you've recieved the information from me, your local UPS store owner and UPS that you did recieve the products back yet you still refuse to issue me my due credit is fine with me. I have over 111 pages of documentation of your present and past business practices. I will be seeing you in court even if it costs me more than the $400 dollars you owe me.

I am coming after you for your business practices. I want to make sure you do not continue to cheat and steal others, therefore Mr. Kaffash, you are my new hobbie.

Red face

As a firefighter/emt here in arkansas. all fire depts (vol. and paid), and ems (vol. and paid) must use red lights. Blue are for police, sheriffs, etc. Know for POV's were allowed to have Red, Amber, or white as long as lights can been seen from all angles of the vehical. When it comes to sirens though I am still unsure. A friend of mine who is a state trooper says that only emergency vehicals are allowed sirens but when running lights and responding were considered an emergency vehical. Then he states that it has to be a marked emergency vehical but unmarked police units have sirens. If anyone knows i would definitly like to find out.

Forum Member

Default New laws in Missouri

well after years of blue lights and sirens being courtesy lights they have changed the law,where u still have to run the siren with the light, everybody is supposed to yield the right of way,sometimes it happens sometimes it doesnt.As aAssistant Chief im allowed to run reds along with blues which help get through traffic sometimes faster,but i always teach my kids and vollies safety first,clears and ambers are also allowed but no reds unless they are hideaways in the stocklocation rearward.....
    most of all drive safe

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FLFD138 View Post
    New Jersey DMV Hand book states that Blue & White Lights,electric horns and sirens are leagle to have how ever the police will give you a hard time about the sirens and horns!!!
    What NJ handbook states this? I have yet to hear of/see this
    NJ FFII/EMT-B

Forum Member

Wow, not too many Minnesotan's on here, is there? I skimmed through the whole thread and never saw any mention of MN law. I'll look it up, but I can say with certainty, that I have never seen or heard of vollies in MN ever responding to their station for a call with any kind of lights on their POV.

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by Slaytallica45 View Post
    You and I know it doesn't exist.

I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FLFD138 View Post
    New Jersey DMV Hand book states that Blue & White Lights,electric horns and sirens are leagle to have how ever the police will give you a hard time about the sirens and horns!!!
    Please quote chapter and section.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

I wouldn't hold your breath on that one Buff.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Slaytallica45 View Post
    http://www.state.nj.us/dca/dfs/booklet5.pdf

The above link is the only thing I can find (in a short check).
    FF-II/EMT-B/Incident Safety Officer/Photographer
    Lancaster Fire Department
    First run area (Fire): Lancaster, NH & Guildhall, VT (84.3 Sq Miles)
    First run area (Ambulance): Lancaster & Jefferson, NH; Gilman, Guildhall & Lunenberg, VT (185.1 Sq Miles)

Forum Member

For the love of god, people and their "CODE 3 SUPER LED MASTER THREE THOUSAND TWO HUNDRED NINETY SIX PATTERN WARNING EMERGENCY EQUIPMENT LIGHTS."

Use what is legal. If you aren't 100% certain, ask the state police. Don't look for ways to get around your state's law.

I don't criticize people who put lights on their privately owned vehicles, so long as they are in line with the law. I'm neither qualified nor motivated to undertake the task of debating the law; however, people who choose to ignore it should be prepared to face the consequences.

In my state, people with a red light permit may operate red lights and an audible signal when responding to a true emergency. Thankfully our department uses discretion when issuing emergency permits, otherwise every junior, probie and adrenaline junkie would be trollin' for flashly-blink-blinks.
    Dave Bieniek

FF/EMT

EMT
    Tri-State Ambulance

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    I wouldn't hold your breath on that one Buff.
    I know.....But it's fun to ask, and make them squirm......
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by NathanWert View Post
    http://www.state.nj.us/dca/dfs/booklet5.pdf

The above link is the only thing I can find (in a short check).
    I love that they law states the limit is 51 candlepower.

I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

The Dead Horse Has Come Back To Life. Lets Whip It To Death Again.

Unless You're The Only One Qualified To Drive Your First Due, Drive A Resonable Speed And You'll Get There Alive. Simple Lights , If You Want To Look Like A Christmas Tree Become A Cop Or Get A Chiefs Car Or Truck.

If Its Big Enough It Will Still Be Burning When You Get There. If Not All You Missed Was A Hose Handling Drill.

Take All Lights Away From Probies(any Age) And Anyone Under 25 Years Old.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rescuedawg View Post
    And anyone who uses initial caps for their entire sentence. Grammar, my friend, grammar.
    Dave Bieniek

FF/EMT

EMT
    Tri-State Ambulance

Forum Member

Easy solution to this problem.

Get high enough in the dept, and respond to most or all calls. Then park a dept vehicle in the front yard and respond in it.
    Right now I got the mini pumper, so I can run lights and siren everywhere.

Forum Member

And anyone who uses initial caps for their entire sentence. Grammar, my friend, grammar.
    I'll use all caps if I want to. Its to let you buffs know that this subject was beat to death. Guys with light displays are usually the ones wearing the "I fight what you fear" shirts. I havent had a light at all in three years, yet I still am in the top five responders for my dept.

Forum Member

For the love of god, people and their "CODE 3 SUPER LED MASTER THREE THOUSAND TWO HUNDRED NINETY SIX PATTERN WARNING EMERGENCY EQUIPMENT LIGHTS."

Use what is legal. If you aren't 100% certain, ask the state police. Don't look for ways to get around your state's law.

I don't criticize people who put lights on their privately owned vehicles, so long as they are in line with the law. I'm neither qualified nor motivated to undertake the task of debating the law; however, people who choose to ignore it should be prepared to face the consequences.

In my state, people with a red light permit may operate red lights and an audible signal when responding to a true emergency. Thankfully our department uses discretion when issuing emergency permits, otherwise every junior, probie and adrenaline junkie would be trollin' for flashly-blink-blinks.
    DON'T LISTEN TO DAVEB304. YOU SHOULD BUY ALL YOUR LIGHTS FROM GALLS. YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TOO MANY LIGHTS. BUY FROM GALLS. YOU NEED THE BIG LIGHTBAR FOR YOUR VEHICLE WHEN YOU MAKE 3 RUNS A MONTH. BUY FROM GALLS. YOU NEVER KNOW HOW MANY VEHICLES YOU MIGHT SEE IN YOUR RURAL AREA. BUY FROM GALLS. YOU CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH LIGHTS. BUY FROM GALLS.

This submitted by a member of a department who gets tax money from Galls.

Forum Member

I'll use all caps if I want to. Its to let you buffs know that this subject was beat to death. Guys with light displays are usually the ones wearing the "I fight what you fear" shirts. I havent had a light at all in three years, yet I still am in the top five responders for my dept.
    Tremendous! Trust me, that would be a valid argument if everyone were in the exact same boat.
    Dave Bieniek

FF/EMT

EMT
    Tri-State Ambulance

Forum Member

Pretty stupid comment right there. The fire service is one of the main careers where age and time in the job are becomming factors that have nothing what so ever to do with amount of fire seen or the ability of that individual to perform job tasks.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

GT, I agree with your point of view to a certain extent in the way that I don't feel a qualified firefighter over 25 is any better at his/her job than someone under 25.

So rescuedawg, how about those <25 year old EMTs and paramedics? Maybe we should let the firefighters over 25 get to the scene first. Who needs ALS, or even BLS care when you have people older than 25! Awesome!
    Dave Bieniek

FF/EMT

EMT
    Tri-State Ambulance

Forum Member

Its not your ability to do the job, its looking like an a hole advertisment for a led light distributor getting there. You may be a redneck fireman, if your car cost 200 dollars and your light display cost 1000 dollars.

Thread Information