Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Emergency Lights for Vol FF/EMTs

MembersZone Subscriber

As a long-time scanner enthusiast, I know that there are several sites on the web that cover scanner laws state-by-state.

Anybody know of a similar site on lights? If there isn't, it would take a bit of research, but might prove informative. Even bona fide emergency vehicle lighting requirements vary somewhat around the country. Only California requires a steady-burning red facing front, and NY now allows a blue light facing the rear, f'rinstance.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

Does any body know the Alabama rules on lights??

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BurninLuv View Post
    Anything but purple and gold.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BurninLuv View Post
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/t116743/ (POV lights in Alabama)

Everything you need to know.

Short answer - no you can't.

Banned

Deleted by user
    Last edited by Mr. D.; 08-10-2012 at 03:24 PM.

Banned

Deleted by user
    Last edited by Mr. D.; 08-10-2012 at 03:24 PM.

Forum Member

Way to many pages to read through so if someone already posted this then my apologies. Here in NY Chiefs and Assistant Chiefs can run red lights and sirens w/ white if they want it. everyone else including capt's and lieut. can run blue lights w/ no siren, but they can have one red light facing the rear. For the most part everyone uses all blue. FF's can have white as well, but still thats up to them

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. D. View Post
    Murphy, NC here. Chiefs, and asst chief can run sirens. All others can run red/white and must run hazard flashers and head lights.

No sirens for POV, but horns are allowed. I just installed these in my Accord.

152 decible 100psi air tank in the trunk.

Here is a video too.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRF9XaZKTUE
    That's awesome!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BVFD_LT2 View Post
    Way to many pages to read through so if someone already posted this then my apologies. Here in NY Chiefs and Assistant Chiefs can run red lights and sirens w/ white if they want it. everyone else including capt's and lieut. can run blue lights w/ no siren, but they can have one red light facing the rear. For the most part everyone uses all blue. FF's can have white as well, but still thats up to them

Don't come through Virginia with the blue light bar or dash light visible and let the LEO's catch you.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Don't come through Virginia with the blue light bar or dash light visible and let the LEO's catch you.
    Actually, I drove all the way to Lynchburg and back a couple of times with no hassles whatsoever, blue light and all. Now that I've got all LED lights, it's no sweat anyhow. I look just like any other contractor.

Of course, now some bozo pulls someone over for speeding with his POV...

Forum Member

NY- FF= BLUE
    EMS = GREEN
    CHIEF OR Certified Medical cars (EMT-I) or better, Red with Siren.

its suppose to be just 1 bulb that's visible 360 all the way around, but, I haven't met one officer who enforces it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by thefentch View Post
    NY- FF= BLUE
    EMS = GREEN
    CHIEF OR Certified Medical cars (EMT-I) or better, Red with Siren.

its suppose to be just 1 bulb that's visible 360 all the way around, but, I haven't met one officer who enforces it.
    And 32 candlepower, to boot. But that's only the blue and green lights.

Chiefs, etc, can run pretty much anything they want in terms of quantity and brightness (red and white), and can now have a rear facing blue as well...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Don't forget a PW extinguisher and/or an indian tank.....and a chainsaw, with spare chains, bar oil, and mixed gas....
    On the real tho... If I was a chief officer who responded directly to the scene before apparatus.. A pee can and some irons would be a good addition.

Forum Member

I shouldn't post to this thread but jsut an FYI....

if you are ever in KY and you see the blue lights blaring behind you, you best pull over. The State boys (Troopers) don't take kindly to people not pulling over for them. And for any vollie guy coming from a state where blue lights are used for fire service, your lights better not be visible because you can get a ticket. blue lights are reserved for police only in KY.

Forum Member

well that wont be a issue for me sence i dont think theres blue lites here for fire

Forum Member

I agree with your statement, it is legally NOT our right to take the right of way. We can honk all we want through an intersection in a rig, stutter or air horn, go "whoop", yelp, shout, pulse the fire engine pedal siren, and flash head lights, use the P.A., or have red, green, or blue lights, or those rig colors. When speaking with my Career Center teacher, here in Columbia MO, where I attend a local Fire Department Explorer Prorgram, he stated, as a retired firefighter from Rolla MO, if in any accident, it is our fault. Well, I suppose more appropriatly, since I am only a student, the department's fault. Unless the wrecked vehicle the rig hit, or any other fire vehicle, broke a traffic law. Which is rare to win considering how large of a corporation the F.D. can be. Yet you would think, something that attention grabbing, is never considered on the road; I have seen near misses twice now when out on the town.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    ...and a chainsaw, with spare chains, bar oil, and mixed gas....
    You just described half the pick-ups in northern New York... And I'm not talking about firefighters...
    Rice09 likes this.

Forum Member

In Virginia we are aloud only 2 lights anywhere on the vehicle and can be red/white or stright red. the rear lights if you choose to get them, must be stright red. You are not aloud to speed or break any traffic laws and people are not required to move. No sirens either. The Dept I run out of says in bilaws you arnt aloud to go stright to the scene unless you are chief so they aren't really needed. They more or less a luxury if you want to get there a bit faster. Remember you are not aloud to break laws so you look kinda dumb sitting at a red light and they can confuse people. I have them on my vehicle but only use them if im on a back road or if im in heavy traffic helping a disabled vehicle.

Hope i helped Stay safe!

Forum Member

In NY, we run blue lights. Its a courtesy to have them. My department adheres to 1 light per vehicle and must be issued a card. The lights are used when there is a structure fire, MVA or if there is smoke showing. Not when there is a natural gas odor, CO detector activation, fire alarm. We turn off our blue lights at intersections we must stop at. We only use them on straight aways to avoid confusing the public. We have to, by State law, follow all NYS traffic laws, so there is no reason to speed, not stop at lights or signs or pass people. Mathematically, you're not going to get there that much faster. And if you drive like an adrenaline idiot, you chance getting into a crash and not only not being able to help at a scene, but you will demand man power. Coolness is your meal ticket.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by firefightislife View Post
    In Virginia we are aloud only 2 lights anywhere on the vehicle and can be red/white or stright red. the rear lights if you choose to get them, must be stright red.
    Hey brother, thought I might give you a little clarification ... you can have up to two red, red/white, or white lights, and you're not restricted on having white to the rear. Furthermore, nothing in the code actually defines what a "light" is.

Take a look: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...+cod+46.2-1024

Hope this helps...
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Thread Information