Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Emergency Lights for Vol FF/EMTs

ff601
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

here in georgia we use red/red or red/clear
    and you better use a siren when lights are on

while i'm here, anyone have strobe lights and or power packs for sale-cheap? e-mail
    rick@firehousemail.com

be safe, Rick

nomad1085
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

In Connecticut:

Firefighters: Blue, no siresn

Ambulance Personel POVs: Green, no siren

Chief Fire Officers, Apparatus, Police Cruisers: Red, Blue, White, Siren.

Ambulances: Red, White, Siren

Tow Trucks, Plows, Etc.: Amber, no siren (duh)

Matt

SCFire2402
    Firehouse.com Guest

SC code allows

Fire Apparatus/Pov's: Red white/yellow optional, siren must be on when in motion and lights are on.

Firelover
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

In New Brunswick we don't have a policie "yet". We finally go plates, but I hear in Toronto, they have a green light w/no siren. I wish we could have something like that. But since we don't I moved closer to the fire hall so I could be on the second truck out. It's fun.

------------------
    Joel

If you sent us to HELL, WE'D PUT IT OUT!!

fffd1vfd
    Firehouse.com Guest

You have ohio as red or red/clear with siren. But also you must have a sticker that says you had your car inspected bye a certified person to do so.

dimab
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

In the state of CT, FF/EMT get blue lights, no siren, no special traffic privilages. Chiefs, D/C get red,clear,blue with siren. Personally, without starting a debate on this, I believe volunteers in their personal cars need to be recognized as 'official' emergency vehicles. Obviously, we are running for a reason, not for our fun. I've seen too many times, a truck waiting for a crew because our members are stuck on a bridge in town, which is only 2 lanes! Grant it that some people see the light and move, others don't see it (use of siren needed) or just ingnore us! The public must understand that we are responding to an emergency, need the right of way, so we can do our job. I've also heard a story where a volly was responding to a structure fire, with his blue light, no siren, in her personal vehicle, and a woman would not pull over. There was too much traffic to just pass her. At the end of the ride, both people arrived at the same residence! The lady couldn't believe what was happening. Although this is an extreme case, this is exactly the reason taht volly's need emergency rights in CT, and everywhere else!
    HazardAce likes this.

Eng522ine
    Firehouse.com Guest

PFPCHEIF..... I have heard from a cop friend of mine that blue lights are no longer courtesy lights in NJ. Drivers MUST yeild the right of way the same as they do for a red light. Although I cannot quote a statute number to you I am assured that it has recently been changed. I am told that if a vehicle fails to yeild to your blue light you can take down the vehicle's plate number and go to your local PD and get a "failure to yeild to an emergency vehicle" ticket mailed to the owner of the vehicle. I am still looking into this so don't start filling up your ticket book quite yet. I'll keep you posted. Be safe.

Lewiston2Capt
    Firehouse.com Guest

My understanding of NYS V&T law regarding Emergency lights is:

Chief officers: Red or Red/White with sirens.
    FF: A single Blue rotating or flashing light not to exceed 32 candlepower, mounted above the headlights. (I dont think that it states that the light has to be visible for 360į in the instances of dash lights)

I dont think that I have observed any volunteer using a 32 candlepower light on their POV. Enforcement of the candlepower and how many lights is pretty lax unless the privledge of the light is being abused. My Dept. tends to say less is better.

APG1
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

32 CP? That's... 32% of a headlight, isn't it? Uhm... do they even MAKE lights that dim? Pancake lights are 100cp. *giggle*

TCFire
    Firehouse.com Guest

Yes, NYS law on blue lights is a little silly. I don't think you can buy a 32 CP light anymore, aside from the fact that who would see it if you had one?

From observation most people seem to run dash lights. If you have a bar, law says you can't have a break in it or have more than 2 rotators.

Blue light in NYS is courtesy only, have to abide by regular V&T laws. Cops are usually ok with speed, within reason, although that is recently changing thanks to some idiot who was clocked on radar in excess of 90 mph going to an ambulance call. Fortunately was not one of ours.

Bottom line, many people don't give you the right of way regardless of what you run. With siren and red light, the air is blue on my way to a call more often than not from people pulling out in front of you, going through the intersection to beat you, or calmly driving along as you sit behind them waiting for them to yield.

Just gotta remember that you're useless if you don't get there safely or if you cause a second call to come clean up the accident you caused by being impatient or doing something stupid.

firehat87
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

In Texas you can run any combo of colored lights you want as long as you have both of the following:

a. A red light visible 360 degrees for 500 feet on a clear day at the highest point of your vehicle

b. a siren audible for 500 feet on a clear day

I am currently in college in Oklahoma where vollies can only use amber without a siren. Basically, nothing at all.

------------------
    Be safe.

If I'm not mistaken, in Georgia, you can use either clear or purple lights with impunity. They're unregulated and my chief forbids lights (claiming some sort of red light complex) on his volunteer's vehicles, however a couple of enterprising ones got around him by putting purple lights on their trucks. When he saw them, he went red in the face and starting grumbling under his breath, but he didn't say anything to them.

Wow, this one was really dug up from the FH Forum graves.
    JLS
    MFC
    51 Pride - R.I.P. Sandy
    Alarm 200644004, I won't ever forget.

Remember you only have 1*.

IACOJ

Oh christ, here we go.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Iranfromthezoo

In MS only police can have blue lights. FF`s can only have hideaway lights, no lightbars and must be red or white. Amber lights are used to tow trucks and etc... Here if you recieve a call and you are in your district, you allowed to speed, only 15 mph over the posted limit. And you are not in your district, say the next city, you must call that cities PD and request permission to run 10-18 (quickly, and with lights and sirens.)

Talking Hey nm............

At least he did a search !!!!!!!!!!!!
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Sr. Information Officer NJFFSA16's Avatar

Originally posted by Eng522ine
    PFPCHEIF..... I have heard from a cop friend of mine that blue lights are no longer courtesy lights in NJ. Drivers MUST yeild the right of way the same as they do for a red light.
    I usually don't post on these tired, old, beaten to death threads....but I'll just post the applicable NJ statutes.

39:3-54.7. Display of emergency warning lights
    1. An active member in good standing of a volunteer fire company or a volunteer first aid or rescue squad recognized by and rendering service in any municipality may display on any motor vehicle driven by him an emergency warning light or lights as provided in this act. The Director of Motor Vehicles shall not require the member to specify on which motor vehicles the emergency warning light or lights may be mounted.

L.1977,c.223,s.1; amended 1979,c.71,s.1; 1995,c.37.s.1.

39:3-54.8. Time of operation
    Emergency warning lights may be operated only while the vehicle is being used in answering a fire or emergency call.

L.1977, c. 223, s. 2, eff. Sept. 16, 1977.

39:3-54.9. Specifications
    Emergency warning lights shall be temporarily attached, removable lights of the flashing or revolving type, not more than 7 1/2 inches in diameter, equipped with a blue lens and a lamp of not more than 51 candlepower and shall be controlled by a switch installed inside the vehicle.

L.1977, c. 223, s. 3, eff. Sept. 16, 1977. Amended by L.1979, c. 71, s. 2, eff. April 10, 1979.

39:3-54.10. Placement on motor vehicle
    No more than two emergency warning lights shall be installed on a vehicle. If one light is used it shall be installed in the center of the roof of the car, or on the left windshield column in a position where a spotlight is normally located, or on the front of the vehicle so that the top of the emergency warning light is no higher than the top of the vehicle's headlights. If two lights are used they may be placed on the windshield columns on each side of the vehicle where spotlights are normally mounted, or on either side of the roof at the front of the vehicle directly back of the top of the windshield. Under no circumstances may one light be placed on the roof and one on the windshield column in the spotlight position.

L.1977, c. 223, s. 4, eff. Sept. 16, 1977. Amended by L.1979, c. 71, s. 3, eff. April 10, 1979.

39:3-54.11. Identification cards; issuance
    5. The Director of Motor Vehicles shall prepare suitable identification cards bearing the signature of the director which, upon the request of the mayor or chief executive officer of any municipality recognizing and being served by a volunteer fire company or a volunteer first aid or rescue squad on a form and in a manner prescribed by the director, shall be forwarded to the mayor or chief executive officer, to be countersigned and issued by the mayor or chief executive officer to the members in good standing of the volunteer fire company or first aid or rescue squad. Identification cards issued pursuant to this section shall be considered permits to display and operate emergency warning lights as provided for in this act and shall apply to any motor vehicle driven by the member of a volunteer fire company or a volunteer first aid or rescue squad. Emergency warning lights shall not be mounted prior to the issuance of the identification cards. Each member of a volunteer fire company or a volunteer first aid or rescue squad must carry the identification card while an emergency warning light or lights are displayed on his vehicle.

L.1977,c.223,s.5; amended 1995,c.37,s.2.

39:3-54.12. Rights of motor vehicle with light in operation
    Nothing contained herein is intended to grant to any member of a volunteer fire company or a volunteer first aid or rescue squad any privileges or exemptions denied to the drivers of other vehicles, and such members displaying emergency warning lights shall drive with due regard for the safety of all persons and shall obey all the traffic laws of this State, provided, however, that the drivers of non-emergency vehicles upon any highway shall yield the right of way to the vehicle of any member of a volunteer fire company or a volunteer first aid or rescue squad displaying emergency warning lights in the same manner as is provided for authorized emergency vehicles pursuant to R.S. 39:4-92.(see Below)

L.1977, c. 223, s. 6, eff. Sept. 16, 1977.

39:4-92. Authorized emergency vehicles; clearance for; following or parking near
    Upon the immediate approach of an authorized emergency vehicle giving audible signal, and equipped, as required by section 39:4-91 of this Title, and unless otherwise directed by a police or traffic officer,

(a) The driver of every vehicle shall immediately drive to a position as near as possible and parallel to the right-hand edge or curb of the highway, clear of an intersection of highways, and shall stop and remain in that position until the authorized emergency vehicle has passed and

(b) The driver or person in control of a street car shall immediately stop the car clear of an intersection of highways and keep it stationary until the authorized emergency vehicle has passed.

No driver of any vehicle other than one on official business shall follow any authorized emergency vehicle, traveling in response to an emergency call, closer than 300 feet, or drive nearer to, or park the vehicle within 200 feet of, where any fire apparatus has stopped in answer to a fire alarm.

And yes....51 candlepower is absurd. Enforced? Less than never.

And here's a little known statute...but absolutely factual..and I know law enforcement busts your chops about this.

39:4-92.1. Fire department vehicle returning to fire station; flashing red lights
    It shall be lawful for any fire department vehicle when returning to its fire station from an emergency call to display a flashing red light visible under normal atmospheric conditions from a distance of at least 500 feet to the rear of the vehicle and no driver of any vehicle other than one on official business shall follow any such vehicle displaying said light closer than 300 feet.
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Wasn't this topic DEAD 3 years ago?

MembersZone Subscriber

Well, here, we aren't allowed to use lights on POV's because they create a danger to citizens and motorists alike. We figure not everyone has an EVOC class or is an Apparatus driver, so we don't need a bunch of people who have no clue about driving/operating emergency vehicles running up and down the road chasing EMS assist runs.

Lights on POV's are BAD NEWS! Staff your Stations.
    Proud Right-Wing Extremist since 1992

"Extreme Liberalism is a Mental Disorder"- Michael Savage

MembersZone Subscriber

Why not go here and discuss something more important:
    NO FIREFIGHTER SHOULD EVER DIE AGAIN
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Thread Information