Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Emergency Lights for Vol FF/EMTs

Forum Member

I have a little blue bubble light that I use when I'm stopped along the road at MVA's or to mark a loctaion for the ambulance... BUT I learned never to leave it up there when responding. Hit a bump and that ba$@#%d came uh... Unmagneted, or what the fudge ever, and smashed all over the road. It's just not worth it, you can't (or shouldn't) exceed the speed limit anyway; the other cars are going as fast as you are (excluding flatlanders and old people). So why do you need one for that?

Not trying to offend the whackers, but the only use I see them fit for is being parked along the road to get the attention of other drivers so they don't plow anyone down.

MembersZone Subscriber

Post ILLINOIS LIGHT INFO

HERE IS THE RUN DOWN ON ILLINOIS LAW FOR ILLINOIS POC'S/POV'S:

RED LIGHTS TO THE FRONT = NOT ALLOWED
    RED LIGHTS TO THE REAR = NOTHING STATED (HOWEVER, WHAT COLOR ARE THE TAIL-LIGHTS ON CARS?)

AMBER LIGHTS TO THE FRONT/REAR = ONLY FOR TOW TRUCKS & CONSTRUCTION VEHICLES.

BLUE LIGHTS TO THE FRONT/REAR = ALLOWED
    (THIS IS NO RESTRICTION [ANY MORE] ON LIGHT PLACEMENT. YOU CAN HAVE LIGHTS ANYWHERE ON THE VEHICLE, INCLUDING HEAD-LIGHT FLASHERS. HOWEVER EVERYTHING MUST MEET THE MINIUM VISIBILITY REQUIREMENTS.)

CLEAR LIGHTS CAN BE COMBO'D WITH BLUE OR AMBER - BUT TO THE FRONT ONLY. CLEAR TO THE REAR IS NOT ALLOWED (TOO BLINDING).

PURPLE IS USUALLY USED FOR FUNERALS.

NOTHING STATED FOR GREEN LIGHTS (MOST OF THE FIRE TRUCKS BY ME RUN RED & GREEN LIGHTS [GUESS WHERE IM LOCATED])

SIRENS ARE NOT ALLOWED AT ALL.

NOW THIS IS WHAT ILLINOIS LAW STATES. EACH INDIVIDUAL DEPARTMENT OR DISTRICT MAY HAVE THEIR OWN SET OF RESTRICTIONS FOR LIGHTS. MY DISTRICT HAS SOME, BUT I CAN STILL LAND A PLANE WHEN ANSWERING CALLS.

In the state of WEST VIRGINIA, firefighters and EMS personnel are allowed to run red-lights, and I think along w/ the red-lights they can run clear and/ or amber lights. But, regardless of the combo he/she choses, a siren has to be on whenever the lights are going. And, in order to run the lights, the firefighter has to obtain a red-light permit which licenses the vehicle as quote-unqote fire aparatus, and they can break all the same traffic laws as any fire-truck or ambulance can.

[Bangs head on wall]
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Originally posted by nmfire
    [Bangs head on wall]
    Stop that. It causes Dain Bramage. I know. It happened to me.

Talking

Originally posted by cellblock
    Stop that. It causes Dain Bramage. I know. It happened to me.
    you know, I was going to write a witty follow up... but sometimes it's best to let a statement speak for itself...
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Bought a house two blocks from the fire house. I'm the officer on the second due rig EVERY time. First due is supposed to lay into themselves, so me and whover my crew is usualy end up first in the door on a job.

That said, Colrado just pased a law requiring state a state issued permit to run lights and sirens on POVs, because some sicko pulled a gal over (fake cop car) and killed her. I used to have lights and a siren, but when I put a lift and big tires on my truck, the light bar kept getting crunched by branches. So I moved closer to the fire house and now it's all good.
    Yup, I'm going to hell.
    BUT, I'll be draggin a 2 1/2 with a smoothbore, so when the rest of you get there, make sure yer carryin overhaul tools. And bring me some more smokes...

MembersZone Subscriber

Wyoming FF/Red lights and siren allowed in state but varies by dept. For example my dept. doesn't want us using R/S as we're just a small pop. of 2,000. So the state allows it but it's up to each dept. whether they want you to use it or not.

Originally posted by firefighter184
    That said, Colrado just pased a law requiring state a state issued permit to run lights and sirens on POVs, because some sicko pulled a gal over (fake cop car) and killed her.
    wait, are you saying that beforehand you didn't need any kind of permit to run lights and sirens in Colorado? and, for the record, do u think requiring a permit is going to prevent some sicko from doing this again?
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Originally posted by DrParasite

wait, are you saying that beforehand you didn't need any kind of permit to run lights and sirens in Colorado? and, for the record, do u think requiring a permit is going to prevent some sicko from doing this again?

Yup, up until about three weeks ago, no permit required. I personally like the permit thing, because it forces our chief to take a personal responsibility for the guys he issues permits to. Maybe he'll stop letting these 18 year old kids run lights and sirens.

Owens Signs Police Impersonation Bill

On 25 May, Governor Owens signed H.B. 1003, stiffening the penalty for impersonating a police officer and criminalizing the use or possession of red and blue lights. The new law goes into effect 1 July, 2004.

As part of the new law, fire chiefs can issue permits to firefighters and ambulance personnel for their personnel vehicles. We met with the police chiefs and the sheriffs to discuss the permit process. We STRONGLY RECOMMEND that you utilize the Department of Revenue’s emergency vehicle permit forms. We are going to meet with the Department of Revenue to develop a new form and to get them distributed to you before the law goes into effect. So stay tuned.

In the mean time, if your department allows the use of emergency warning equipment on personal vehicles, please let us know so we can get you the forms. If you want forms sent to you, please let Lori Nichols (mailto:lori@coloradofirechief s.org or 303-444-FIRE) know how many forms you need.
    Yup, I'm going to hell.
    BUT, I'll be draggin a 2 1/2 with a smoothbore, so when the rest of you get there, make sure yer carryin overhaul tools. And bring me some more smokes...

While working a paid shift at the station this week I was talking to a co-worker and a friend of his who was visiting the station after getting off work. As our visitor sat there drinking his after work beer we started talking about lights on POVs. I found out that one of our most active members had recently been pulled over by the local Police for running code in his POV to the bank. He was trying to get to the bank before it closed and ran lights and siren to get there faster. The officer gave him a warning and let him go.
    Our visitor told how he borrowed the POV of a vollie who was also a deputy sherrif. They got stuck in traffic in Baton Rouge and turned on the light and siren to bust through the gridlock. It worked too until BRPD pulled them over. They got detained, the vehicle got impounded and the deputies' duty carry .40 cal Glock which was in a storage compartment on the inside of the drivers door was seized until he could get his supervisor to explain why he had left it unsecured in the truck when he loaned it to his friends.
    Some people just don't have common sense.

in Vermont the lights are red for fire and ambulnace blue for police.
    as for lights for vol ff/emt you have red you can have any shapr form. You are to have a permit for the light that you get from the state but needs to be signed for my the chief of your dept. you have have a siren. But to me as a vol ff/emt you don't need it. most people move out of your way when they see the lights.

Forum Member

In TN, vol\paid FF can run any combination of red lights as long as they have been approved by the fire marshall (ie anything ambulances\fire trucks etc...have)

Police run blue lights
    and the Rescue Squad is not supposed to run ANY lights POV unless you are a chief, but many people do anyway..it is kind of "overlooked"

In this part of Ms. we mostly use red, red/white, but I have seen every combination under the sun. As long as it is not Blue.
    YGBSM!
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

If all you have is a hammer, then your problems start to look like nails.

IACOJ
    Southern Division.

The great State of Georgia allows the following combinations:

Fire: Red/White/Yellow (Offset)
    EMS: Red/White/ Yellow (Offset)
    Wrecker: Yellow
    Hearse: Yellow
    Police: Blue (Yellow Offset)

Fire Department Command units Also are allowed to have a green light. I have never personally seen this used while E/R. Also to run lights and siren in a POV in Georgia you must have the state issued permit. In order to get the permit you must have Both lights and a Siren along with some red tape paperwork from the chiefs.
    Last edited by Druxus; 08-09-2004 at 01:41 AM.

Forum Member

A little known fact in Iowa, volunteers can run red/blue with siren! All they have to do is get the Mayors approval and fill out some state paper work !!! Sometimes I wish it were easier than that!!! Our Haz-Mat garage is a ten minute drive for me!
    Last edited by 2ndgen; 08-09-2004 at 12:02 PM.

My God, its amazing how this type topic generates so much discussion in these volly forums.

[IMG]deadhorse/img[/IMG]
    Last edited by RowdyBrassPiper; 08-13-2004 at 11:01 AM.

MARION COUNTY, FLORIDA......NO GO ON VOLUNTEER LIGHTS

MAS
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SharpTJ View Post
    In TN, vol\paid FF can run any combination of red lights as long as they have been approved by the fire marshall (ie anything ambulances\fire trucks etc...have)

Police run blue lights
    and the Rescue Squad is not supposed to run ANY lights POV unless you are a chief, but many people do anyway..it is kind of "overlooked"

You stand corrected. Here is the Statue

"55-9-402. Lights required on motor vehicles - Exceptions - Regulations as to color, type and visibility distance.

(d) (1) No vehicle operated in this state shall be equipped with any flashing red or white light or any combination of red or white lights which displays to the front of such vehicle except school buses, a passenger motor vehicle operated by a rural mail carrier of the United States postal service while performing the duties of a rural mail carrier, authorized law enforcement vehicles only when used in combination with a flashing blue light, and emergency vehicles used in firefighting, including ambulances, emergency vehicles used in firefighting which are owned or operated by the division of forestry, firefighting vehicles, rescue vehicles, privately owned vehicles of regular or volunteer firefighters certified in § 55-9-201©, or other emergency vehicles used in firefighting owned, operated, or subsidized by the governing body of any county or municipality.

(2) Any emergency rescue vehicle owned, titled and operated by a state chartered rescue squad, a member of the Tennessee Association of Rescue Squads, privately owned vehicles of regular or volunteer firefighters certified in § 55-9-201©, and marked with lettering at least three inches (3") in size and displayed on the left and right sides of the vehicle designating it an "Emergency Rescue Vehicle," any authorized civil defense emergency vehicle displaying the appropriate civil defense agency markings of at least three inches (3"), and any ambulance or vehicle equipped to provide emergency medical services properly licensed as required in the state of Tennessee and displaying the proper markings, shall also be authorized to be lighted in one (1) or more of the following manners:

(A) A red or red/white visibar type with public address system;

( A red or red/white oscillating type light; and

© Blinking red or red/white lights, front and rear. "

In my rural county in Tennessee, it depends on what fire department you belong to. Out of the eleven volunteer dept.s, three allow red or red/white lights & siren, two allow courtesy lights in the form of wig wags & or headlight & taillight strobes. The dept.s allowing only courtesy lights are not allowed to violate any traffic laws & must turn them off when stopped at a traffic light to prevent confusing other drivers. The other six dept.s don't allow any lights while responding POV. This is mainly due to at one time or another they've had someone driving wrecklessly & ruined it for everyone else on their dept.
    I'm not aware of any volunteer EMS agencies that are left in operation in TN. A neighboring county's rescue squad however, can run blue in combination with red & siren (they were chartered under the federal govt with civil defense & give this as the reason why they can use blue).

Thread Information