Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Emergency Lights for Vol FF/EMTs

it might be that way in TN, but in MI it's against the law to charge higher for POV's. A few of us asked about insurance costs in our driving class and were told that based on Michigan Vehicle Code MCL 257.632 that we were required to have insurance and that the agency could not raise the premium based on emergency usage.

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    I probably posted this earlier but if you have a "Light chit" to show that you have the Chief's permission to add the color lights and sirens your state allows to your ride,and you tell your insurance company,be sure to notice how much you paid them before you got the lights added.
    They'll still insure you but you'll pay more due to the admission that you'll be driving faster and going through traffic signals after all the proper actions(Stopping,blowing horn,waiting for other traffic to clear,etc).
    You are held to a higher standard of care when you do.

They'll still insure you but you'll pay more due to the admission that you'll be driving faster and going through traffic signals after all the proper actions(Stopping,blowing horn,waiting for other traffic to clear,etc).
    Not from my insurance company (in Texas). Price has stayed the same. I was warned that "IF" I were to have an accident while responding, that I "COULD" be dropped. And "THAT" is why I don't get into accidents (besides it might hurt).
    Last edited by THEFIRENUT; 04-17-2007 at 05:56 AM.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

If we cremate the horse, will you guys beat the ashes?
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by the1141man View Post
    Now that's comedy!!!

This horse just won't die! Flatlined in 2000, revived in 2004, flatlined in 2004, revived in 2007.

Forum Member

Not sure why NYS236 is "n/a" but regardless I have red (no clear) because sometimes I don't like leaving my everything else on when I only need to warn (while parked) to the rear. No reason to warn people coming at you on a divided freeway right?

I probably posted this earlier but if you have a "Light chit" to show that you have the Chief's permission to add the color lights and sirens your state allows to your ride,and you tell your insurance company,be sure to notice how much you paid them before you got the lights added.
    I did, they said they would cover them if they are permanently attached.

So not only did my rate stay the same but I was actually able to lower significantly it (lowering their rates for some reason - right time right place I guess) and then increase it minimally for half a mil coverage.

I am not breaking the law, I am following Michigan's law, I cannot be penalized for that. Where ever you got this from is just simply wrong.

Also, I cannot stress this enough, in Michigan a POV with the "whirlygigs" is not a "courtesy" vehicle, it is an "emergency vehicle" just like the engine with the "whirlygigs".
    Last edited by Lamah989; 04-18-2007 at 12:58 AM.

Forum Member

You can't let them blow around now can you?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by callaway75 View Post
    Now that's comedy!!!

This horse just won't die! Flatlined in 2000, revived in 2004, flatlined in 2004, revived in 2007.
    So really it's a zombie horse...

Interesting...it appears that zombie horses eat brains much as zombie humans do--after all, "zombie horse threads" tend to suck the gray matter right out of your skull and leave you feeling strangely empty, and craving some replacement...brrraaaaiiiiiiii nnnnnns.
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

So really it's a zombie horse...

Interesting...it appears that zombie horses eat brains much as zombie humans do--after all, "zombie horse threads" tend to suck the gray matter right out of your skull and leave you feeling strangely empty, and craving some replacement...brrraaaaiiiiiiii nnnnnns.
    In case you haven't realized it yet, this horse is a manikin. It never was really alive. So go ahead and beat away.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by THEFIRENUT View Post
    ... this horse is a manikin. It never was really alive.
    Wouldn't it be a "horsiekin" then?

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireDawgEMT22 View Post
    Actually in the state of ohio, your POV is an emergency vehicle when you turn on your lights. They are required to stop and pull over for you. I have seen cops ticket people here in ohio and in south carolina for not pulling over for someone in their POV responding to the scene.
    That is the case in New Hampshire as well. Smokeater is apparently not familiar with New Hampshire law on the subject.

That said, if everyone DROVE AS IF their lights were curtesy lights, we would probably all be better off.

Forum Member

Cool

I am a 3 yr ff, not with my current dept. and emt in Illinois. And its safe to say the least that our restrictions suck in some areas. This is what all I have learned from taking law classes and from others from other firefighting associations. Illinois allows you to have blue/clear to the front, and from what I have heard recently, to the rear also. However, district regulations say that you can have no lighting to the rear unless you are an officer. Another thing is that if you have a signed letter from either the mayor or Sheriff of your county, you can run redlights in association with blue and clear. This is a very rare thing though unless you have "friends". Also Illinois recently brought back allowances for wig wags and headlamp strobes, but my dept still says you cannot use them. One of the good things is that you do not have to have a permit to use what you are allowed yet. All you need is a valid id card with name, pic, and exp. date signed by your chief, carried at all times. And your vehicle must be marked to the front or back to associate you with a department. However, though it is US statute that povs may run sirens, Illinois considers it a definate no no!!

MembersZone Subscriber dinoemtff's Avatar

Talking

Here in the great state of Louisiana we use red/white for ff/ems with siren
    Dino Brancato FF/EMT
    Sandy Hill Fire Rescue
    Pickering, Louisiana
    Home of the Fighting 7th

Forum Member

obvious signs of rigor and lividity...why revive???

Quote Originally Posted by FireDawgEMT22 View Post
    obvious signs of rigor and lividity...why revive???

Like I said before, you can not kill what was never alive. It has also been and always will be a manikin ("horsiekin"). Maybe we could dress it up as a kangaroo and send it to Australia.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by THEFIRENUT View Post
    Like I said before, you can not kill what was never alive.
    ALERT ALERT

ZOMBIE THREAD

ALERT ALERT

HMM shotgun blast to the head usually works on the zombies in Half-Life

Talking Get back!

Hmmmm.....
    Grabs a baseball bat and starts hitting the dead horse, back! back! back!, down! down! down!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by XRaysJL View Post
    Hmmmm.....
    Grabs a baseball bat and starts hitting the dead horse, back! back! back!, down! down! down!
    Its a zombie, you gotta severe the connection between the brain and the muscle controls...remember they have only the most basic of animal instincts, namely to feed. Or so says the computer of Raccoon City on Resident Evil

Hmmm Half-Life, Resident Evil...does anyone else see a pattern here...oh well im divorced, Im allowed to play games..unless...think she left me over the games??lol

I might just go swipe an 105MM Howitzer and blow the p*ss out of this dead horse. Maybe that will take care of em once and for all.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Last edited by 5alarmcooker; 03-17-2008 at 06:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 5alarmcooker View Post
    Im from the great state of NJ as someone previously posted we FF/EMTs get blue lights line officers get red and sirens obeying all traffic laws as it is a courtasy light. For the most part you can get away with driving hot as long as your being cautious about it. I believe this is a law that has to be addressed on a higher level than the states to develop a national standard simply because all emergency workers are on the job 24/7 whether some of you believe it or not. How many of you out there watched Backdraft...remember this quote "the funny thing about firemen is, their always firemen." This could never be more true. Whether responding to a call your dispatched to or coming upon an incident you should be able to use the lights in the same way as if you were paid personel sitting at the building. I know as an EMT if i am to come uppon an accident it is my duty to make sure both of the occupants are alright and provide care if they need it. This being said if im in my personal vehicle on a highway I will most certinly be using my vehicle to protect myself and the patients on the scene and utilizing my warning lights to warn other motorists to slow down. Bottom line is if you say emergency workers dont need lights on whatever vehicle they use to respond to a building or scene then your also saying they dont need them on the apparatus (fire truck, ambulance, etc.) either.
    I was corrected on another thread. In NJ it's no longer a courtesy light, it is an emergency light.

ALSO, fyi, it's not that line officers are allowed to have red lights and sirens, it's the Chief and his/her assistant.

ß 13:24-2.8 Emergency light mounting and use requirements

(c) Red emergency lights placed on a vehicle owned by and registered in the name of a current chief of a volunteer fire company or the first assistant chief of a volunteer fire company or a chief officer of a volunteer first aid or rescue squad pursuant to a permit issued by the Chief Administrator in accordance with this subchapter shall be mounted only on the exterior of the vehicle and shall consist of not more than two magnetic base-type removable lights.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Thread Information