+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 14 First ... 567891011 ... Last
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Emergency Lights for Vol FF/EMTs

Piney Power
    Berkeley Township, New Jersey, United States

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Fair enough... like I said I didn't research this. Can you also say that it is considered a legal automobile horn? Also, is it legal to use an automobile horn in this fashion?

Also, something that always concerned me.

You have a call. 40 firefighters and maybe a handful of EMT's are going to their POV's and putting on blue lights (and in your case, using a loud audible signal) and driving to the firehouse. Then you have whatever number of fire, police, and ems vehicles also trying to find their way through traffic.

At least with just using the blue light, the audible warnings are reserved for the marked units (with PD being the exception) and you eliminate some of the confusion over which vehicles other drivers expect to go through red lights, etc.

Even with the blue light, I've found that drivers are confused and don't always know what to do.

I don't know, just seems like a lot of chaos and noise for a fire alarm.
    Yeah, I try not to use my blue light when I don't have to because in my town it creates more of a hazard now because of all the road work and construction going on with two schools being in between my house and my firehouse so whenever it's like a CO Alarm or something not as important as like a structure fire I don't use it. A lot of people don't even move anyway so there's no point in using it if there's people that you will follow all the way to the firehouse and won't budge.
    Pinewald Pioneer Vol. Fire Co. No. 1 Sta. 20
    "Piney Power"

Berkeley Emergency Response Team (B.E.R.T./Haz-Mat/WMD/CBRNE) Station 85
    Berkeley Township, New Jersey 08721

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Fair enough... like I said I didn't research this. Can you also say that it is considered a legal automobile horn? Also, is it legal to use an automobile horn in this fashion?

Also, something that always concerned me.

You have a call. 40 firefighters and maybe a handful of EMT's are going to their POV's and putting on blue lights (and in your case, using a loud audible signal) and driving to the firehouse. Then you have whatever number of fire, police, and ems vehicles also trying to find their way through traffic.

At least with just using the blue light, the audible warnings are reserved for the marked units (with PD being the exception) and you eliminate some of the confusion over which vehicles other drivers expect to go through red lights, etc.

Even with the blue light, I've found that drivers are confused and don't always know what to do.

I don't know, just seems like a lot of chaos and noise for a fire alarm.
    In terms of it being considered a legal automobile horn, the only way I can think of that would make it not legal is the volume level of an electric air horn compared to a regular car horn.

With your scenario about FF's/EMT's responding and confusing the drivers when it comes to marked units, I guess it is a possibility, but in my area atleast, we have such a large district that its not likely that the same drivers that may have yielded to members in their POV's will come in contact with our rigs. The other side of this is that I have noticed that adding the electric air horn "convinced" some drivers who werent sure if they wanted to yield or not, maybe because when they hear a horn they associate that with a marked unit and realize they need to yield.
    NJ FFII/EMT-B

Piney Power

Well, in NJ as you probably know, a blue light is only a "courtesy" and nothing else. No one HAS to do anything for you whether we like them to or not. It is there solely for the purpose of letting the public know that you are a volunteer responding to a call and they have a choice to either kindly move over and let us pass so that we may get to the firehouse a little quicker or they can stay put and you can't do a thing about it.
    "Piney Power"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PineyPower View Post
    Well, in NJ as you probably know, a blue light is only a "courtesy" and nothing else. No one HAS to do anything for you whether we like them to or not. It is there solely for the purpose of letting the public know that you are a volunteer responding to a call and they have a choice to either kindly move over and let us pass so that we may get to the firehouse a little quicker or they can stay put and you can't do a thing about it.
    This is also part of the problem in NJ, NJ changed their blue lights from being "courtesy" to an emergency light (meaning drivers have to yield) in 2005. How can we expect drivers to know that they now legally have to yield when 90% of our FF's or EMT's dont even know that they changed the law.

If you dont believe me here is the amended blue light law directlty from the New Jersey Statutes:

N.J.S.A. 39:3-54.12
    39:3-54.12 Rights of motor vehicle with emergency lights in operation.

6. Nothing contained herein is intended to grant to any member of a volunteer fire company, a volunteer first aid or rescue squad or a volunteer Office of Emergency Management any privileges or exemptions denied to the drivers of other vehicles, and such members operating emergency warning lights shall drive with due regard for the safety of all persons and shall obey all the traffic laws of this State including R.S.39:4-81, provided, however, that the drivers of non-emergency vehicles upon any highway shall yield the right of way to the vehicle of any member of a volunteer fire company, a volunteer first aid or rescue squad or a volunteer Office of Emergency Management operating emergency warning lights in the same manner as is provided for authorized emergency vehicles pursuant to R.S.39:4-92.

L.1977,c.223,s.6; amended 2005, c.34, s.4; 2005, c.218, s.5.
    NJ FFII/EMT-B

Piney Power

Wow. You are 200% right. I never even heard a thing about it even being considered to be changed let alone it was changed. I'm very glad that someone brought that up. It's actually pretty bad that my own Fire Academy Coordinator and County Fire Marshal didn't even know of the change.

Nevermind, Google does wonders.
    Last edited by PineyPower; 05-14-2008 at 10:36 PM.
    "Piney Power"

MembersZone Subscriber

Default POV in NJ

ok so now we have the "unlimited" lights (as i was told by my chief tonight. But i was also told by my chief tonight that i am not allowed to have an electric air horn (a citizen complained today while i was going to a call). Is there any state statue that allows or denies the use of an electric airhorn for either personal use in general or as a warning device for a POV responding to an emergency. Plus if so what would stop me from going to the local auto parts store and buying the lowest and most piercing horn they sell and using that instead? I hardly use the horn unless someone is not moving at all for me and that was the use for it today. And for the dead horse comment people, oh well...I needed clarification (if there is any to be found in this lovely state that we live in where everything is so gray)

Also wondering what is the limit on distance for use of blue lights? municipality, surrounding municipalities, county, or reasonable response area? If anyone has information on that please also leave that here. I was able to respond from out of county and even had a police officer in a neighboring town pull over for me to proceed to a call while another firefighter got pulled over by a cop in the same neighboring town one block from the border for having warning lights.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by yoohooman480 View Post
    ok so now we have the "unlimited" lights (as i was told by my chief tonight. But i was also told by my chief tonight that i am not allowed to have an electric air horn (a citizen complained today while i was going to a call). Is there any state statue that allows or denies the use of an electric airhorn for either personal use in general or as a warning device for a POV responding to an emergency.
    If your chief told you that you are not allowed, no statute is going to help you here. You will run into some disciplinary problems if you continue to use it. I may be completely wrong here, it sounds as if you were a little over-zealous with your air horn use, a citizen complained and your chief told you not to use it anymore.

Plus if so what would stop me from going to the local auto parts store and buying the lowest and most piercing horn they sell and using that instead?
    Just because it is sold at an auto parts store doesn't mean it is legal. Again you will probably run into disciplinary problems if you use it. Run it by your chief before you blow your money on it and then aren't able to use it.

Also wondering what is the limit on distance for use of blue lights? municipality, surrounding municipalities, county, or reasonable response area? If anyone has information on that please also leave that here. I was able to respond from out of county and even had a police officer in a neighboring town pull over for me to proceed to a call while another firefighter got pulled over by a cop in the same neighboring town one block from the border for having warning lights.
    I would stick to only using them within your response area. If you are responding from out of county or town, I would hope you wouldn't be first in. Think safety.

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by edge1317 View Post
    I would stick to only using them within your response area. If you are responding from out of county or town, I would hope you wouldn't be first in. Think safety.
    Here! Here!

What is quicker, safely driving from the neighboring town without a blue light.. or...

Getting pulled over while using your blue light, and then waiting for the police officer to confirm that you are going to a legitimate call?

Then, god forbid, it's the state police who pull you over. They already have a low opinion of the "blue lighters" as they call them over the NJSP radio system. Good luck with ever getting to the call.

As for beeping your horn. I believe that it is a traffic violation to use your horn inappropriately.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Mississippi. Fire / EMS volunteers can use Red or red / White. state law requires a audible warning device any time lights are used.

Now wrap your head around this one. The State Supreme Court passed down a ruling several years ago that stated the siren with lights requirement was for marked emergency vehicles. This did not include Private vehicles owned by volunteers. It went on to say that at no time would a volunteer use any audible warning ( siren, airhorn, whistle or bell) on their privately owned vehicle while running any emergency light.
    To err is human, To forgive divine and at times I am as much of both as you will ever find

Piney Power

Quote Originally Posted by yoohooman480 View Post
    ok so now we have the "unlimited" lights (as i was told by my chief tonight. But i was also told by my chief tonight that i am not allowed to have an electric air horn (a citizen complained today while i was going to a call). Is there any state statue that allows or denies the use of an electric airhorn for either personal use in general or as a warning device for a POV responding to an emergency. Plus if so what would stop me from going to the local auto parts store and buying the lowest and most piercing horn they sell and using that instead? I hardly use the horn unless someone is not moving at all for me and that was the use for it today. And for the dead horse comment people, oh well...I needed clarification (if there is any to be found in this lovely state that we live in where everything is so gray)

Pertaining to the blue light, if a citizen isn't pulling over to the right it is considered a "moving violation" in NJ because, as of 2005, the statute states that citizens must now move over to the right for emergency responders with a blue light. Now, having a blue light doesn't mean that you can break any laws, though. It just says that you're an emergency responder responding to a call and any citizen in front of you is required to move over.As long as you are following the laws and rules of the road(s) with your blue light on, you'll be fine. The problem with this statute modification is that very few know of it. Up until yesterday, I had no idea of the change until it was shown to me on this very forum by Slaytallica45. It'd be a lot more beneficial if you could somehow inform the public of the change via your website, mailing, public service announcement, etc.

As for the siren, I, personally, don't think any vehicles besides actual emergency vehicles should be able to have them. It's bad enough on the roads that the public goes chaotic when a person with a blue light approaches them, but with a siren as well they might be confused and angry because you aren't a recognized emergency vehicle. I don't think I would pull over for a a-hole with a blue light and a siren just because he's being an a-hole using the siren. The blue light is sufficient enough.
    "Piney Power"

Default You Do Have A Point

As for the siren, I, personally, don't think any vehicles besides actual emergency vehicles should be able to have them. It's bad enough on the roads that the public goes chaotic when a person with a blue light approaches them, but with a siren as well they might be confused and angry because you aren't a recognized emergency vehicle. I don't think I would pull over for a a-hole with a blue light and a siren just because he's being an a-hole using the siren. The blue light is sufficient enough.[/QUOTE]

Piney,
    You do have a point there. I belive a full operational siren would be construed as confusing to the drivers of Ocean County, especially the Whiting or Holiday City sections, but coming from TR I will say in the mid summer months when many of our northern statesmen pack lovely Rt. 37 and the GSP "headin' down the shore" a siren is a commodity that many of us TR smokeeaters wish were available. With that being said I dont want anyone to develop the "he is just a whacker" opinion. I myself am a firm believer in regulations and supervision when operating a blue light. I have said this countless times but I think before we give our brand new 18 y/o member the right to throw the newest brightest LED light in his windshield there should be some extensive training on the proper operational techniques and the consequences and liability of using this GIFT improperly. I try to stress to our guys if you approach a red light on one of our busy highways or roads turn the light off so you dont jam up traffic going the other direction. Then simply turn it back on when the light is green. Well thats it for now. Hope things are well down @ station 20. Stay safe all.

Gary
    Firefighter/EMT
    TRFC Station 25

Forum Member

Default lights

Well, how i feel on lights is Blue for everything. ff/ems. reds for high rank. every oen gets a siren. as many lights and w/e lights u want.and no im not the biggest "whacker" either. i feel, if im going to help some one, i want to arrive safely to the scene. so if i have light bars wig wags sirens grills dash n decks. what ever it takes to get noticed, then ill do it. in ny ff = blue ems = green. or blue n white. green n white. "suppost" to be 360 visual, but its not inforced. only 1 light tho. ima double dipper( ems -n- fire) so i have 1 green and 1 blue light. both dash.. and its a pain..

Forum Member

So you are all gonna be in trouble when you come out west. In the wonderful state of Washington things are different than in the east.

Fire = Red, Clear, Yellow
    Police = BLUE, Clear, Red, Yellow

So you had better be pulling over for Blue, PIT move and spike strips are hard on your car.

And Whackers can run a Green courtesy light but I don't know anyone that stupid.

Forum Member

It's interesting all the people (this thread and others like it) that have come on and asked what the law says they can do. You have how many States with State law? And how many municipalities in those States with traffic laws? How many differences is that likely to bring up? How confusing does it get, especially if the person asking doesn't quote the State and municipality?

Personally I'd be looking up the laws that applied to me, getting the information from the people who made the laws. Or is that too simple? Admittedly we only have one set of traffic laws, State. Only one police forrce too, State. Even with that I strike a lot of people here who will happily quote an opinion, and be totally wrong. I get on the web and look it up, read the actual wording. Much safer.
    "Professional" means your attitude to the job...

Nullus Anxietas ..... (T Pratchett)

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by volfirie View Post
    It's interesting all the people (this thread and others like it) that have come on and asked what the law says they can do. You have how many States with State law? And how many municipalities in those States with traffic laws? How many differences is that likely to bring up? How confusing does it get, especially if the person asking doesn't quote the State and municipality?
    You have to go back in our history to understand the nature of this issue. I'm no history teacher, but i'll give it a go.

During the American Revolution, and before our current constitution, each state (colony) had it's own legislature that set the laws for that state (colony). The "federal" or central government was pretty much at the whim of each individual state's legislature. Mainly because they did not have the power to tax (money controls all).

As much of a quagmire as it is now to get a law passed, imagine the nightmare that it used to be. Getting 13 state legislatures to ratify what the continental congress came up with.

When the folly of this system became apparent, the states had differing agendas in regards to correcting this.

The southern states had a smaller population and wanted each state to have the same number of legislatures in the US Congress. Of course, the northern states with bigger populations wanted the representation based on the population of their individual states. The compromise is the two house legislature we have now.

In addition, the notion of "state's rights" goes back that far as well. The thinking is that unless it's specifically given in the constitution as a "federal right", the states shall have say.

In the end, if there is a conflict, the federal law is supreme.

This has led to lots of legal wranglings over issues like; abortion, marriage rights, death penalty, gun control... you name it, all the big issues always involve a debate over "state's rights".

Personally, I think in a country this large and diverse that there is room for the states to create their own laws, provided they are consistent with our consitution.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Piney Power

Quote Originally Posted by VolFirePaidEMS1 View Post
    Piney,
    You do have a point there. I belive a full operational siren would be construed as confusing to the drivers of Ocean County, especially the Whiting or Holiday City sections, but coming from TR I will say in the mid summer months when many of our northern statesmen pack lovely Rt. 37 and the GSP "headin' down the shore" a siren is a commodity that many of us TR smokeeaters wish were available. With that being said I dont want anyone to develop the "he is just a whacker" opinion. I myself am a firm believer in regulations and supervision when operating a blue light. I have said this countless times but I think before we give our brand new 18 y/o member the right to throw the newest brightest LED light in his windshield there should be some extensive training on the proper operational techniques and the consequences and liability of using this GIFT improperly. I try to stress to our guys if you approach a red light on one of our busy highways or roads turn the light off so you dont jam up traffic going the other direction. Then simply turn it back on when the light is green. Well thats it for now. Hope things are well down @ station 20. Stay safe all.

Gary
    Firefighter/EMT
    TRFC Station 25
    Yeah, good points. Well, it is true that the area that our jurisdiction is in really doesn't need sirens for responding volunteers in POV's as much as they would for a road like 37 or the GS Parkway. I understand that completely. With that being said, I think it's a matter of location and responsibility/maturity to be able to use a siren, if allowed by state and local laws including your own officer's. I'm also pretty sure it's against the law for any volunteer to use a blue light in the state of NJ on the GSP because it's a state highway. I thought I read that somewhere about our statutes, but I could be mistaken. route 37 is a different story because it runs through a bunch of towns that volunteers respond from and use the road. I could see using a siren there. Having classes and making sure new members know how to use the lights and all the responsibilities that comes with it is very important.

By the way, I noticed you're at Station 25 and wanted to ask if you were at last year's 4th of July Parade in Ocean Gate and Pine Beach? I know there 2525 Ladder/Tower truck was there (because I have a picture of that beautiful piece of apparatus) and was wondering if you were there, too.

Things are fine down here as I hope they are up there. Stay safe.
    "Piney Power"

MembersZone Subscriber

Also in NJ. We can use blue lights in our township and neighboring township only. No interstate (I295/NJTP in my case).

The reality is that unless I'm home or within our local grids I'm probably not going to make the truck anyway. Too much traffic, too many stop lights. Even when I'm home it only saves me maybe 30-60 seconds.

I rarely use the light anymore. Our grids are set up with automatic reduced speed for apparatus. My rule of thumb is that if the truck is going reduced out of the station, then I'm going reduced to the station and the light stays off. Unless its tapped as a fire or rescue I'm taking my time.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Forum Member

Exclamation

In Ky You Can Have Red/red Or Red/white And Must Have A Siren On While Moving

Forum Member

I live on Long Island (New York) and almost all of the fire depts. on the island (with around 3,000,000 people living here) are volunteer districts. The law states that we are allowed to run blue/white lights in the front, with any other combo in the back.

Now, where I live, with around 45,000 residents, the chiefs really don't care how many lights you have, or any "sirens" you have in your POV. We have over 5,000 calls a year, ranging from gunshot wounds to MVAs, kitchen fires to entire buildings going up in flames... As long as we get their safe, and civilians don't complain, the chiefs don't care about what you use to get to the dept. on time.

I run a Whacker Insiter 4 in my front dash, which is EXTREMELY bright (Blue, White / Blue White), and I use my warning lights. Usually people get out of my way before I even get behind them... Sometimes I need to use my horn, but I've never had anyone not move out of my way yet.

No matter what the situation is... Civilians come first. It would be complete chaos if you were to get in an accident on the way to the station. Drive safely!!!!

Stay Low Brothers...

Piney Power

Quote Originally Posted by PhrozenLBFD View Post
    I live on Long Island (New York) and almost all of the fire depts. on the island (with around 3,000,000 people living here) are volunteer districts. The law states that we are allowed to run blue/white lights in the front, with any other combo in the back.

Now, where I live, with around 45,000 residents, the chiefs really don't care how many lights you have, or any "sirens" you have in your POV. We have over 5,000 calls a year, ranging from gunshot wounds to MVAs, kitchen fires to entire buildings going up in flames... As long as we get their safe, and civilians don't complain, the chiefs don't care about what you use to get to the dept. on time.

I run a Whacker Insiter 4 in my front dash, which is EXTREMELY bright (Blue, White / Blue White), and I use my warning lights. Usually people get out of my way before I even get behind them... Sometimes I need to use my horn, but I've never had anyone not move out of my way yet.

No matter what the situation is... Civilians come first. It would be complete chaos if you were to get in an accident on the way to the station. Drive safely!!!!

Stay Low Brothers...
    Well, I somewhat disagree with that statement. You are the emergency responder so you should come before everyone else, but while responding in your POV you should be obeying the laws and driving cautiously and watching out for yourself to make sure you don't get in an accident.
    "Piney Power"

Back In Black

As long as we get their safe, and civilians don't complain, the chiefs don't care about what you use to get to the dept. on time.
    Is that your Chief's stated position, an SOP, or how you interpret what's been allowed to happen?

Thanks

Forum Member

No, the chiefs haven't spoken to us about it. They know some guys have sirens, and more then the legal amount of lights allowed in the front of the POV. However, we live in a city, so are laws are a bit diffrent from the others around us on Long Island. We are allowed (by law) to run red lights (yield and proceed with EXTREME caution), as well as stop signs. We have to respond to calls with are lights on, and hold down are horn when coming to intersections.

Basically, its like a hush, hush, kind of deal. As long as we keep everyone safe, the chiefs wont enforce the rule.

Forum Member

Basically, its like a hush, hush, kind of deal. As long as we keep everyone safe, the chiefs wont enforce the rule.
    This speaks volumes about your Chiefs. There should be no hush hush, plain and simple and the laws SHOULD be enforced seeing as they are laws. Your city laws do not go above the laws of the state and they should know better. They are allowing you people to break the law, by having more then the legal amounts of lights and having sirens(for those who do). By keeping it hush hush, they also seem to me like the kind of people who would allow you to hang out to dry if you got nailed to the wall by the police. Not who I would want in charge of me.

Quote Originally Posted by PhrozenLBFD
    Sometimes I need to use my horn, but I've never had anyone not move out of my way yet. .
    I know if I had some guy who came up behind me with a light on(especially if it's only a courtesy light) honking their horn at me I wouldn't move out of they either. I guess that is what happens when an 18 y/o gets a light. But judging by your posts on here though it seems to be one of your biggest priority's. Another scary thought.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Back In Black

I don't know NY state law, but if you are not compliant with state law and drive through an intersection and out of nowhere you are involved in an accident....

You'll find out how hush hush the chiefs are, when you are in court and they deny ever giving you permission to violate state law.

Be careful out there friend, it's not worth it.

Forum Member

NY State Law allows for all volunteer responders in the POV's to yield at red lights, then proceed with caution. However, your light(s) must be visible 360 degrees. Most of the guys in the dept. have lights in the back, front, and side of their cars...

I don't know what the deal is with sirens, and so forth. I was just talking about what I figured it was. Do the chiefs no some of them have sirens? ... Maybe, but I haven't seen anyone get yelled at. Yet again... I've only been in for a few months. I'm only a probie, so I'm probably wrong.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 14 First ... 567891011 ... Last

Thread Information