nozzel
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question minumim on board

Was wondering what other depts deem the minumim number of FF's on board an engine before leaving the fire house for the call.

pfpchief
    Firehouse.com Guest

at night we roll with a 5 man crew(all that fit in engine)thats sop for us . during the day7 am to about 5 pm we wait till the siren stops about 3 minites then roll with what we got. our average respone time at night is 2 minutes with 5 guys in full tunout gear

VVFC2LT
    Firehouse.com Guest

If it is a daylight call, (6 AM to 6 PM), we will roll with a minimum of two. If we are lucky, we might get four. Any thing at night, we can fully man two engines (four per truck).

killian418
    Firehouse.com Guest

It is up to the senior man on the engine or the officer. We have rolled to possible structure fires with 3 and the second engine with 2. For MA calls we roll with no less than 4.

Brian Dunlap
    Firehouse.com Guest

You should never roll with less than three qualified firefighters on board but....in some towns even mine we have rolled out to a BS Washdown or Wire in a tree call with two...Depending on the time of day and who's around ---Its tough to maintain the ranks of volunteers especially in NJ we operate with who responds----Our Company usually turns out 8-10 guys during the day and anywhere from 18-25 at night depending on the call and the time of the night---most working fires {We've only had one this year} average 35-40 .....We do OK for the most part

Looper
    Firehouse.com Guest

Minimum number is....one
    One of our stations has 4 aparatus -- the first two will pull with 3-6 man crews, sometimes only a driver for the 3rd & 4th. Mutual aid minimum is usually 3.

Something to consider: is your dept one that responds in aparatus only, or one in which most members go POV? If you have a lot of people arriving by POV, then crew size is not as important.

FirefighterReed
    Firehouse.com Guest

During the day nothing rolls with less than 2 people. If it goes to three pages and there still isn't enough to go the engine will roll anyway but mutual aid is then paged.

At night they roll as a driver arrives at station most people are either at the station waiting on a driver or responding POV.

------------------
    Fire Fighters job is never done

I fight what you fear!

jj1967
    Firehouse.com Guest

We're technically a combo department, with two paid FF and a paid chief on duty from 0700-1700 M-F, and at least one paid FF from 0700-1700 SAT and SUN. If we get a structure call and only the three are in the station they roll with the chief in the officer's seat (yes, a chief with dirty gear). At night a minimum of four or when the station siren stops (3 min) whichever comes first, usually its the four.

CAPT123
    Firehouse.com Guest

We are combo department with two paid FF 24/7, one for the ALS ambulance and one for all else. Volunteers respond POV or to our second station that is umanned or to the scene. POV response is good, better at night and weekends. If structure call or alarm, two paid FF take first out engine and paramedic drives ambulance, same for MVC's with entrapement. Volunteers get second and possibly third out engines from station two. In addition to auto mutual aid. Don't usually wait when engines leave staion two unless officer calls enroute to station.

Lgreeves
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

We roll with two firefighters in the cab. That is all we can get in the cab. We do have firefighters that respond directly to the scene so if the second pumper has to wait a long period of time. That pumper will roll with driver only.

RyanEMVFD
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

My dept we roll with whomever shows up. Yesterday I responded in the tanker by myself to a grass fire. Our chief responds in his POV so we usually always have plenty of people get there eventually. I've also seen it where I was first at the station getting the trucks ready to roll and put on bunker gear and everyone else shows up and takes the trucks and I ended up having to respond POV.

Les.H
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

In the UK it differs from County to County. We use to ride with a max of 6 but due to financial restraints, we have been cut to 5. The pump from over the boarder in Hampshire can respond with 6 still.

We have minimum riders of 4 and is needed to operate the Lacon 13.5 or 15M ladders. There is also the BA control manning of 4 riders, an OIC, 2 BA and an Entry Control Officer

------------------
    Kindest regards & keep safe,

Sprinkle (UK)

iresq
    Firehouse.com Guest

2 minumum for engine or truck. 1 for squad and tanker. An engine can go driver only if box in non-hydrant to assist in water supply.

------------------
    Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

nozzel
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thanks for you responses. My reason for asking this question is that we are trying to see if it would be better to have all personel go to the station for the call and fill the trucks or respond in there POV. Currently we will respond in are POV if we are closer to the call then the station, otherwise we will go to the station.

SHCoTrk531
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

In our company you have to move to make it. Our average response time is around 1.5 min. We have four fire houses in our town. Each has an engine. Mine has engine and truck. All of our apparatus carry 8-10 personel. Our problem is having the drivers to get the truck out. We have an SOP for 3 min. response time or the next due piece is alerted. Our average personel response per call is 24-30. Not bad for a volunteer company. We have a harder time staffing at night than any other time.

Whip
    Firehouse.com Guest

We are a POV department, meaning driver only. Our station is in the middle of town and not near any residential areas. We usually have 3-6 members in the station up until about midnight so that helps. If we go mutual aid- Cover company, it's 4, if it's for apparatus i.e. the Tanker, it's 5 minutes then go, unless of course it's also for manpower then we fill it.

------------------
    Stay Safe.

Lt. Whip FSI/EMT
    Ledyard CT FD

Thread Information