Brian Dunlap
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink Poles in the Station

We are in the process of designing our New Fire Station....Hopefully to be completed with in the next year and a half if all goes well....Some of our Members have expressed the installation of a pole or two since we are having a two story building built....And our entire operation will be on the second floor except for the trucks of course....Are they as dangerous as some people say...And are they expensive to purchase and install...I personally think it would be neat to have a nastalgia piece installed but if it would cause injury or be to expensive then I say forget it...Wondering what anybaody else thinks.....

iwood51
    Firehouse.com Guest

I would do some checking with your insurance company first. They will be the ones that have the final say so. I would love to have one in my station, but it just ain't gonna happen

Bob Snyder
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

This is a little like that thread on "riding the board"...

As someone who remembers running with a station that had a pole years ago, I think it'd be a blast to use one again.

As an officer who bears his share of the responsibility for the safety of his crew, I couldn't justify actually installing and using one. Let's face it, jumping through a hole 12 or 13 feet above the next closest floor with no safety devices whatsoever just doesn't fall within anybody's definition of acceptable risk.

It's just another one of those things best left to nostalgia...

iwood51
    Firehouse.com Guest

Bob, couldn't agree with you more. At least I can say that I did experience riding the board for a few years. I do remember taking a tour of the fire station when I was young and I remember that my brother was allowed to go down the pole, but I wasn't as I was a year younger (I think we were 7 & 8 at the time).

Sprinkle, a.k.a. Les H. I can't remember if it was Maidenhead or High Wycombe, but do either of them still have poles? Even if inactive.

MetalMedic
    Firehouse.com Guest

If your insurance company didn't have an opinion, I would bet OSHA would. I have seen some departments install sliding boards instead of poles. Perhaps that would be an alternative to look into.

------------------
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

Snackbar
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

I remember back in 1985 I think going to a station with a pole as a fill in crew as they went to the burn house to drill that day. I waited up in thier upstairs lounge most of the day for a call to come out, so that I could slide down the pole. I got to "practice" a few times that day, but finally a call came out, and I got to do it..
    It was a childhood dream come true..Wish they would keep building them....
    Snackbar

------------------
    Mammoo

NUMBY
    Firehouse.com Guest

Poles are a great part of firehouse tradition and it would be great to have them. But, the problem comes from the liability. there have been several cases over the years of guys getting seriously injured and even killed using them improperly. I think that is one of the main reasons they dont get used anymore. There is also a huge increas in your insurance cost for having one.

------------------
    Anything left in the forums is my opinion and does not reflect my department or any organization i belong to.

[This message has been edited by NUMBY (edited August 01, 2000).]

pfpchief
    Firehouse.com Guest

i think it would be a nice addition to ay firehouse , but in this day and age of lawsuits i would not do it . in fact your from nj the building inspector . planing board , zoning board county highway dept and maybe the pinelands commission can review your plans and put a stop to it .seriously the liability alone would kill the idea in my company

E229Lt
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have several poles in my house, the three I can think of have never caused any problems:
    Jankowski, Kulikowski and Kozeniewski...well maybe a little trouble with Korzeniewski.

[This message has been edited by E229lt (edited August 01, 2000).]

Fyrball105
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

I think a pole would be great to have in a fire house, and those that disagree, I just got to ask, You ever fallen down the steps answering the bell?

iwood51
    Firehouse.com Guest

E229lt, I was wondering how long it would take for that.

Engine58
    Firehouse.com Guest

e229 HAHAHAHA thats funny hahaha...in that case we got many poles in my station too..hahahaha

------------------
    Andrew
    South Amboy, New Jersey
    EMS Cadet in NJ
    "EMTS DON'T DIE THEY JUST STABILIZE"

resqb
    Firehouse.com Guest

Two of my depts. eight stations have poles and I refuse to ride them any more. Besides cramping up my legs from holding on so tight, it's nerve wracking to try and jump into a 15 ft. hole at 3 in the morning 1/2 asleep. After a slide or two it's novelty wears off. Save the poles for nostalgia, it's nothing to write home about.
    If you do get one stick with brasss, my building has an aluminum pole and it's really fast, the brass has more stick to it, not to mention it looks cool.
    Just a little note: Many small depts. near me have poles but were told by their insurers to enclose them.

D.SCHWER
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

I remember going to the fire house with my father when I was 10 or so and sneaking up to the second floor to slide down the pole.

We also had a tradtion of having the new mayor slide down the pole. that is until a woman was elected.

When I became a member the pole was put out of commission for safety.

It kind of ironic that isurance companies accept the risk for us working on roofs hanging off ladders etc. that they would cover us for sliding down a 10 foot pole.

Bring back the pole

------------------
    The views and opinions expressed herin are my personal views and opinions and not those of any organization, department I may belong to or represent

INDY FIRE
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

We have 3 poles in my station. 9 of our firehouses have poles. The last 5 or 6 firehouses built or replaced have poles. We are currently replacing a station that didn't have a pole, but the new one will. I don't know of any recent injuries from using the poles, but we have had injuries using the stairs. Firepoles are just another tool we use in the fire service. It's all about training....BE SAFE ALL.....

Break-N-Entry
    Firehouse.com Guest

My paid department had poles. It was our tradition that every new firefighter had to shimmy up them on his first day. After that first day NO ONE was required to use them. Our ONLY problem was the exhaust fumes ... when the truck went and engine stayed ... or vice-a-versa ... for the crew staying behind; and then the cold or hot air from outside would sometimes blow into the open bay and then upstairs. No firehouse "exhaust system" we had installed (3 kinds) worked real well. No one fell or got hurt from using and abusing the pole. We had more shower falls and kitchen burns and cuts than anything else. NEVER had insurance problems.

My volunteer fire department didn't have a pole - but my ambulance corps did. No one was required to use them. Same problem with fumes; and no one fell or got hurt in the 12 plus years I was there. It was great for eavesdropping. NEVER had insurance problems.

Got the money? Then put it in. Some traditions should be kept.

ENG 6511
    Firehouse.com Guest

I'M LOOKING FOR A BRASS POLE TO PURCHASE FOR MY FIREHOUSE. ANYONE KNOW OF ONE FOR SALE?

------------------
    Bob Compton

eCappy
    Firehouse.com Guest

CO TO OZN ACZA? TYM CZASIE NASZE MIERNIKI NIE WYKAZALY PODWYZSZONEGO POZIOMU TLENKU WEGLA.

POLISH POWER!
    DNIA .... 8-2-00
    WYDANE PRZEZ .... eCappy

Brian Dunlap
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

THANKS FOR THE REPLIES KEEP THE OPINIONS COMMING LOOK FOWARD TO HEARING THEM !!

Kevin Bacco
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

I belong to Monroeville Fire Department and 2 of the 5 stations use slide poles. Both stations have 2 poles side by side. Station 4 has both poles coming from the second floor to the apparatus bay. Station 5 has one pole from the second floor and one from the third level. They both have them located behind a door as opposed to a hole with a railing around it. A 3 inch rubber matting is placed at the landing area to prevent injury (only one ankle injury I know of in the past 17 years). And all the slide poles are brass.

One tip: keep your turnout pants in the dorms with you, you DO NOT want to slide the pole in shorts!!!

------------------
    Kevin Bacco
    Pitcairn Fire Department
    Station 230

FyredUp
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have poles in one of our stations. I absolutely love them. It is just a part of the fire tradition that makes me smile.

As far as the exhaust thing we have a Plymo-vent exhaust removal system and hence no exhaust in quarters.

Sliding in shorts? I do it all the time. I refuse to put my bunkers by my bed. Why would I want to be exposed to the crap that is on them all night while I am sleeping?

The fire pole is as safe as any other piece of properly used equipment. They can't be beat for speed to the apparatus floor. I have seen more people slip on the stairs than get hurt on the pole.

Take care,

FyredUp

These are my opinions. Yours may differ, that's okay. Have a nice day!

Fireguy57
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

I'm sorry eCappy, I have a question, excue this if it sounds weird-but- Could you please re-phrase your message. I am having a bit of trouble understanding it...

D. Anderson
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

We have poles in 7 of our 20 stations. I think it's a blast to slide during the day and really hate it half asleep in the middle of the night, especially at the busy stations. I have heard of a number of the older guys getting hurt sliding them, nobody has ever been hurt at my station. Some of ours have brass and some aluminum, and I have no preference for either. Some of them are wider in diameter than others and they are easier to slide and control your speed. All of our poles are polished with emery cloth once a week and I strongly recommend this. The rubber matting at the bottom that someone else mentioned is great!

The worst thing is sliding when you're wet from working out or right out of the shower!

Ladder Man
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

I agree with INDY FIRE. "Poles are just another tool we use in the fire service."

Thread Information