Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Lgreeves
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Firefighters on the district board?

What is you opinion on firefighters also serving as Fire District board members?

------------------
    Larry Greeves
    Firefighter
    Monroe City Fire/Rescue

NUMBY
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Where I work, we are a fire district. We have 2 fire department members on the board. I think that there is some type of rule here in KY that states the makeup of the fire district. We have 2 fire department members, elected by the membership, 2 home owners from the city that are elected by the public, and 3 people are business people in the city appointed by the county judge. It is nice to have 2 of our own people on the district because it gives us a voice on some issues. On some issues the 2 members arent allowed to vote due to a conflict of interest.

------------------
    Anything left in the forums is my opinion and does not reflect my department or any organization i belong to.

bob1350
    Firehouse.com Guest

We got one. He is a paid firefighter on our dept and a volunteer on another as well. Great guy, does a heck of a job and has no agenda of his own. Once in a while he will abstain from voting on a issue if he feels it a conflict of interest.

iwood51
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

I think it's a great idea. All five of our Board members are current or past firefighters. At least they know the basics of what we're asking for as far as equipment, training, etc.

This message was typed in front of a live studio audience!

Neil Murphy
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

We have one active member on the District Board. There is no better way to ensure the board understands the needs and requirements of the Fire Department.

jj1967
    Firehouse.com Guest

Not to be a pain, but I'm not a big fan of this concept. I have had the misfortune of being on a department with a member who was on the board of wardens. I felt it undermined the chief. I have no problem with members speaking as private citezens in open meetings with the board, but shouldn't sit on them. It undermines the chain of command. I also feel chiefs shouldn't be in the union for the same reason, school teahcers shouldn't be on the school board etc.

D.SCHWER
    Firehouse.com Guest

There should not be a problem if that person can wear two hats, one of a commissioner and that of a firefighter.

We have a commissioner that is also a fire fighter and some time he is put on the spot at fire company meetings to answer as a fire commissioner. My answer would be to come to the commissioner meetings to get your answer.

------------------
    The views and opinions expressed herin are my personal views and opinions and not those of any organization, department I may belong to or represent

Lgreeves
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

I was elected onto our newly elected Fire District board on Aug. 8 . I am joined by four other board members, two of which are also firefighters. Our newly formed fire district is called Monroe City Area Fire Protection District. The only problem is that the voters turned down the tax levy. We are going to have a hard time now.

Thread Information