PMThor
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking Entertain me with weird or funny calls

I am looking for the weirdest runs (funny too) that anybody may have. Mine is pretty good. I lived on an island (Put-In-Bay, Ohio) for six years and this story is from there. Boat fires aren't too infrequent. Up there though, due to lack of equipment there is no way to work a fire off in the lake. Just make sure everyone is off and let it burn down to the waterline. But this owner actually thought that docking his boat while still nearly fully engulfed was a good idea. The place he went was not a good idea though, he was trying to pull up to the GAS DOCK. Everyone is trying to wave him away but he is yelling he can't hear and let him get closer. Pretty stupid...nothing happened thankfuly and now it is really pretty funny.

------------------
    Thanks for it all, Pete

mark440
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

A little slow to respond, but last week we were toned to a medical. The dispatch code was a traumatic injury code. We get the enroute info and it is a small boy with a rubber ball stuck up his nose. It was removed smoothly with the help of some forceps. Everything is okay now, mom was sure worried.

Mark

------------------
    If in doubt - Call us out

MAN27
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

A call on night around 11:30pm 3 kms away for a lady who said her house was on fire. When rolled we had a full rescue van full plus 3 men in each other truck and 10 in our crew van. When we got there she said her dog was trapped under its dog house and told us that the only reason she said her ouse was on fire was because she didn't think we would come!!

------------------
    ALWAYS WEAR YOUR FULL GEAR NO MATTER WHAT KIND OF CALL IT IS!

Fireguy57
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

This is something that happens at every BIG fire. I have A LOT of trouble aiming the deck gun on our tanker at the "target". Seeing that it creates a large "fog" of water, I can't actually see where the water stream ends. So I have a reputation of "taking out" several groups of firemen, with one sweep of the stream. At a recent barn fire, I knocked a hose team down twice, and soaked 20-30 firemen, and a "whole bunch" of by standers.
    I just say its revenge for all I put up with......

Forum Member

Talking

Well, here's one I won't forget...

About 14 years ago, shortly after I was hired, I was assigned to a squad. At about 3:00 a.m. we were dispatched as the second in company on an occupied double-wide mobile home fire. Having just been awakened from a deep sleep, I had to pee like a race horse, but not wanting to waste a second, I jumped on the squad and off we went.

Every bump was agonizing, and there were a lot of them!

We arrived less than a minute after the first in engine and had heavy fire showing from about 1/3 of the trailer. We immediately began a primary which was negative, then we assisted the engine crews with extinguishment. About 6 or 8 minutes or so into the call, we had the fire knocked down. I could no longer function...I was about to explode! If I didn't find a place to go I was going to have to let loose in my bunker pants.

Still almost zero visibility from smoke, I finally stumbled into a bathroom and aimed for what was either the toilet or the tub...At that point it didn't matter.
    Aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh relief at last!!!!! I must have been going for a good 20 seconds, when suddenly the wind shifted, the air cleared, and I found myself peeing into the broken remains of a toilet bowl...no tank...and no exterior wall remaining behind it! Just 15-20 onlookers about 25 feet away...A couple of them were pointing directly at me!

I heard a few chuckles from the crowd and what I thought was a smattering of applause.

I refastened the fly on the bunker pants and slowly backed out into the hallway, not letting any of them see my name on the back of my coat.

Good thing we're all fairly anonymous in full gear and a mask!

I didn't tell the guys at the station the story until weeks later for fear of getting a nickname I would most likely still have today!

Kevin :-0 :-)

MembersZone Subscriber

Yall get a two for one deal here...

Well, about 6 or 7 years ago, before I made the move from EMS to Fire, we got a call around 5 in the morning for a possible DOA.

Being a vollie Ems Dept. turn out at 5 AM isn't very good. So I responded to the station, and low & behold right about the time I was about to pull out of the station in the medic, alone with no one else, (mutual aid was on it's way) the local police officer cancelled us.

Being the curious fellow that I am, I decided to go in my POV to the address and see why he cancelled us. Because the tone in his voice over the radio sounded very odd. I arrived, walked up to the front door and saw what appeared to be an elderly female sitting up against the side of the house with her head slumped over. With the residents and officer standing around "chatting".

Upon closer inspection, what was supposedly a DOA turned out to be a dummy that someone made out of pantyhose and that poly stuffing! Believe me it looked real when I walked up, till about 5 feet away. The poor people that lived there were elderly as well.

Turns out, that the dummy was a Halloween decoration from a house up the street, and that some kids thought it would be funny to pose it on someones front porch. The woman that lived there found it as she opened the door to get the morning paper, most likely #@$! her self and then called 911.

I'm tellin you that thing looked very real...

It wasn't too far after our "DOA dummy" that we got a call on a quote "burned female". (unfortunately our dispatchers are very vague)

When we arrived we found an older woman sitting at the kitchen table with what looked to me like soot, all over her face. Aparently she wasn't all together in the head so to speak, and decided to light up a smoke while she is on home oxygen. You guys know what a nasal cannula is? (It's that little tube thingy that runs around the ears and into the nose.) Well that's what she was on when she decided to light her face up along with her smoke.

Long story short, we took her in a little shook up and missing some eyelashes and eyebrows, the ER doc checked her out and said she was OK. Her cannula was a little deformed so we gave her a new one, and headed home...

Unfortunately this lady did it again about 4 months later...
    Last edited by WMFF12; 10-19-2005 at 02:42 AM.
    Giggity - Giggity!

Forum Member

Best one is a full arrest. We get there as a BLS unit and do our thing. Start CPR, AED, etc.

The medic unit shows up and they go to work. The medic starting an ET tube reaches into the airway bag to get forceps to remove a carrot that he believes is an airway obtruction. He starts pulling only to discover it is the NPA he is removing through the patient's mouth.

We of course never mentioned to anyone else or teased him about for months later.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

One of our younger members caught a baby delivery call.Do the words"Saint Bernard crawling though a cat door"mean anything to y'all?
    He was said to have gone pale as a sheet but tells the story with him administering the O2.
    Everyone that hears the tale has to know"To yourself?"

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

08-22-2000, 10:03 PM #4
    Fireguy57

Wow, a 5 year old thread revival!
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

wow, weruj would be so proud to have that kinda thread revival on his hands.
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

MembersZone Subscriber

we had a call for a boat fire at our local lake

a former member decided to call for a tanker

Why the tanker, I asked?

we might not have enough water in the booster tank, was the reply

I think I saw the suction hose on rig as it pulled out....I pointed out the corp of engineers estimated the top inch of water at the lake at around 1million gallons.......

Forum Member

The wierdest call I ever responded to just recently happened. I'm from a 25 member vollie fire department in a rural town. We were dispatched at 12:18 for a structure fire assisting a neighboring department. Because our 911 system doesn't reconize that we are on a call until a unit goes enroute we were dispatched to a second structure fire assisting another neighboring department on the other end of our township at 12:20. So we were left sitting in the hall while waitng for manpower which one to go to, so we called 911 and they said use your own descretion. So we sent an engine an personnel to the first fire and our Engine/Rescue and tanker to the second fire. Needless to say, both houses were saved, and we even had 8 to 10 guys per scene.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Stuck calls

Volunteer Department out in the boonies. You bet we get some wierd ones! Yes, we have all had the cat stuck in a tree, but have you ever had a dogs head stuck in a hole in a tree? A very large woman stuck in the mud? Parachuters stuck in a tree? Someone stuck on a toilet? A lot of folks gettin stuck these days!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nvfd1137
    Volunteer Department out in the boonies. You bet we get some wierd ones! Yes, we have all had the cat stuck in a tree, but have you ever had a dogs head stuck in a hole in a tree? A very large woman stuck in the mud? Parachuters stuck in a tree? Someone stuck on a toilet? A lot of folks gettin stuck these days!
    Not exactly cat in a tree but a few months ago call went out for 2 fire stations medic units and the county rescue squad to respond for traumatic injuries or something like that. One station checks an engine and squad in route and the second station sends another engine I believe. Whenever dispatch comes back over the pagers and advises subject will be a cat stuck behind a heavy entertainment center and the owner can not move it to get the cat out from behind it haha

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nvfd1137
    I have been to a bird in a tree... yes they didnt think cliping the birds wings was right and their 1000 dollar bird flew out the door and into a tree. I responded in my chiefs vehicle about an hour into it and saw two sets of ladders and a cadet running back and forth as the bird switched trees. To make a long story short we ended up shooting a master stream in a fog pattern above the bird. It got wet and glided to the ground after about 5 minutes.

Our county no longer sends us on animal rescue calls, to much of a risk in their eyes.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Toddler struck by Truck.....

This is a good one......

I was running as an EMT basic on a weekend shift. It was about 2:00 in the afternoon when the tones for Fire & EMS were dropped, with the dispatcher reporting a "pedestrian/ motor vehicle - reported 3 year old girl hit by truck with injuries...."

Well as you can imagine, your heart skipps a beat whenever the tones drop, but when a child is involved it has that much more of an impact. Your mind starts playing out all of the horror that you are going to see, and you start to prepare yourself. As the call was on the opposite side of our district/ away from the station, I was responded in my POV.

Upon arriving on the scene and staring my size up, I saw a older lady and a young girl sitting on the lawn under a tree. As I ran up to them the little girl was crying and the older lady had a paper towel pressed to her forehead....

Asking what had happend, the older lady said to me.... "Her older brother threw a truck at her and hit her in the head and she was bleeding" Turns out it was a little matchbox truck that the 3 yr old was hit with....

I have to say that while it is funny to think back to, it is one of the most relieved that I have ever been in my life..... lol
    Ahwaga Ladder Co# 5 - "We Still Live"

MembersZone Subscriber

This is from a couple of year ago. A curious dog and a car wheel
    Dog wheel

Dog removed, unharmed, with a little Vasiline around the ears and some gentle guidance.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default strange calls

A few weeks ago, we got dispatched to a candle burning through the floor of an apartment. Come to find out the person inside was practicing autoerotica when he fell over and knocked the candle over. Luckily for him his neighbor heard hom yelling for help. The person was wearing only leahter chaps and leather mask, bound to a chair

Forum Member

Default HillBilly Olympics

The other day there were 45-60 m.p.h. winds here. A call came over the radio dispatching us to a man parachuting who had fallen 120 ft. My first thought was what the hell was he thinking in this wind. The second thought was trying to figure out what caused him to fall. Did the parachute fold because of the wind or not open at all?

Turns out, because it was so windy, the guy thought he could use the same theory as parasailing, using the wind to lift him up. He tied himself off to a tree and strapped the parachute on. Up he went. He was around 150 feet up when the wind speed dropped. He started floating down when the rope broke. Without the rope holding him stationary, the wind provided no lift and the chute folded and down he went.

When we arrived, there was a strong odor of alcohol in the air. We asked how much the person had to drink and it started off as 1 beer. It quickly changed and when all was said and donee, he admitted to no less than 7 beers.

Moral of the story - Not only should you not drink and drive, but don't drink and parachute either.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KenNFD1219
    This is from a couple of year ago. A curious dog and a car wheel
    Dog wheel

Dog removed, unharmed, with a little Vasiline around the ears and some gentle guidance.

Poor dog, he looks tired!

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

Lightbulb weird call

One night while we responded to a house fire I jumped in the truck with my chief (New Elected Chief)since he lived nearby we got down the street and he then pulled over he jumped out of the vehicle and stood in front of the vehicle while the lights were going he was just starring at the flashes coming off of the lightbar. This was pretty creepy. I got out of the truck and he was jumping up and down and clapping his hands like a little kid. Nonetheless he's not our chief anymore and last I heard he was hit by a truck while starring at the lights of a passing volunteer fireman who had a lightbar on his roof. (he was in his vehicle making a left turn when he got hit).

Forum Member

Heh i first heard this i thought "hehe hes making a joke" but now im not so sure you were joking... but that is kinda funny to picture a chief standing in front of his car jumping up and down clapping, lol... i mean im a big lights fan but damn thats taking it a bit far.
    Adam, EMT-B

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by scottab96
    This is a good one......

I was running as an EMT basic on a weekend shift. It was about 2:00 in the afternoon when the tones for Fire & EMS were dropped, with the dispatcher reporting a "pedestrian/ motor vehicle - reported 3 year old girl hit by truck with injuries...."

Well as you can imagine, your heart skipps a beat whenever the tones drop, but when a child is involved it has that much more of an impact. Your mind starts playing out all of the horror that you are going to see, and you start to prepare yourself. As the call was on the opposite side of our district/ away from the station, I was responded in my POV.

Upon arriving on the scene and staring my size up, I saw a older lady and a young girl sitting on the lawn under a tree. As I ran up to them the little girl was crying and the older lady had a paper towel pressed to her forehead....

Asking what had happend, the older lady said to me.... "Her older brother threw a truck at her and hit her in the head and she was bleeding" Turns out it was a little matchbox truck that the 3 yr old was hit with....

I have to say that while it is funny to think back to, it is one of the most relieved that I have ever been in my life..... lol

AHAHAHAHA ohh lord that made my morning thanks I mean lol, technically the dispatcher was accurate.. heh.

I had a call of a lady who couldnt breath through her nose, thats how call came in. We get there, sure enough shes this lil old lady sitting there with a box of tissues and lots of nasal stuff... she said she couldnt breath through her nose... we told her we cant do anything but take her to hospital, she didnt wanna goto hospital so we left... so far that was dumbest call i've had to date.
    Adam, EMT-B

MembersZone Subscriber

A few years back, the Northeast got hit hard by an ice storm. Our town escaped with surprisingly little or no damage. We dispatched to a residential street for power lines down. We arrived staged the engine to block the street, and keep residents away. One resident wanted to leave, but couldn't. So as she is expressing her displeasure with us, another resident came out to see what was happening. We told him of the power line, where he then proceeded to walk over to the dead line (unknown to us) and pick it up and move it out of the way. This upset Mrs. Resident even more! As she is threatening to call the Chief and the police, town manager etc. The 40+ year former lineman for the power company says "Look, lady I don't go into any g*d damn burning building, so they shouldn't be touching power lines!"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WaterbryVTfire
    The 40+ year former lineman for the power company says "Look, lady I don't go into any g*d damn burning building, so they shouldn't be touching power lines!"
    That's true. That's how firefighters get killed, by trying to do someone else's job. We had a guy on a neighboring dept use a trash hook to move a line because it was taking the elec company too long to get there and once he nearly $h!t himself, he decided it wasn't such a good idea. Leave it for the guys who get paid for it.

Thread Information