Fireguy57
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry Volunteer memorial destroyed in PA

3 Males in thier 20's broke, and stole a head off a memorial for 2 volunteer firefighters who died in 1993 in Pittston, PA. 2 of them were put out on bail, with protective custody. Authorities are concerned for their safety, as the community is taking it really hard. I hope they don't have to call 911!

FyredUp
    Firehouse.com Guest

Just another example of the total lack of respect for people and property. We had 3 teenagers go through our village cemetary and destroy headstones. Some over 200 yeras old and totally irreplaceable.

Brother, I feel your pain and disappointment over this. Thank God for the community outrage and support of the memorial. Make that support a positve thing and get the menorial rebuilt.

I hope those boys (I refuse to call anyone involved in this type of behavior a man) get harsh and serious punishment.

JMP17
    Firehouse.com Guest

What ever else these MORANs get I think there should be a little community service in their future. I could see a lot of BRTs being detailed in their future. Sorry for the loss of this monument Brother, but it sounds like your community may care enough to rebuild it.
    GOD bless & Stay Safe!
    JMP17

Fairview125
    Firehouse.com Guest

I drove past the statue, I was practically breaking down. I couldn't believe my eyes. There were tons of people infront praying and crying. I live near Pittston, and I very rarely go there, but yesterday I was driving through there. It is just a shame what these men did, and I hope that they don't get away with just bail, they should do communnity service.

Speedi120
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

I personally think they should have to face the families and explain why they did what they did.

WOODMAN
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

Speedi you did not go far enough with your statement,the finishing part should be and let the famlies set what punishment these fools should receive.200 hours of service and the cost of the repairs sound about right
    and take away the police protection.

------------------

Speedi120
    Firehouse.com Guest

you are right Woodman. You would think that them being in their 20's they would be smart enough, and respectfull enough not to do something so heartless and stupid.

They need to face those families and have to explain their actions and let those families set forth their punishment. Forget public service, I think they should have to perform duties for those families.

The sad fact is though, they probably would not be phased by what the families had to say. It's obvious that they just don't care, or they would not have done something so heartless to begin with.

I am interested in knowing.. was drugs or alcohol involved?

WOODMAN
    Firehouse.com Guest

Knowing how I was when I was in my younger days I would have to say booze. Better punishment would have these poor souls work off their time in the firehouse and then they
    most likely get a better understanding of what they did and what we do and why we do it.

------------------

Fireguy57
    Firehouse.com Guest

They say it was part of a Scavenger Hunt, I'd like to break their heads off. A father of one of the kids said he did no condone what his son did, but they should give him a break, he was only driving-again-I'll give him a break, perhaps an arm, maybe a leg.... I think they should have to pay to have the entire statue replaced, and serve Community service-a fire station in that area had just had a smokey fire-they should have to clean it up, with Q-tips, and tooth brushes.
    -Just my opinion..........

[This message has been edited by Fireguy57 (edited August 21, 2000).]

Brian Dunlap
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

Speedy nailed it right ...And I agree These Idiots should have to explain to the famlies of the fallen Firefighters why they felt it nessessary to destroy this memorial --- And of course pay for the entire rebuilding of the memorial --- I wish luck to the PA Dept. in getting the memorial replaced

AVF&R452
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

All good thoughts:

Community service might be a problem at my fire house... A Safety Problem... THEIRS.

The truth is that this probably will go through the courts and wind up being not much more than a slap on the wrist. Probably restitution, probation, and community service.

Best of luck to the folks in PA to get the memorial replaced.

FF/EMT 19
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

AVF&R452 you got that right. It would be a serious health and safety concern to let these guys work in our station. I think each one of them should do community service on the weekends for a year, from dusk to dawn. Take away their free time. What should be done I believe was outlawed in the 1800's. With respects to the families of the fallen, the judge should make them view videos (if you have any) of the services these men had. If the emotions, the grieve, and pain of the families of the fallen as well as the fellow firefighters do not tug at each one of thier little scumbag hearts. Then they simply do not have one. Let them see that this memorial was placed not for their amusement but rather for honoring two brave souls.

Good Luck, and God Bless

Thread Information