firefighter2
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down Number of personel

I am just wondering how many Departments have a BIG shortage of personel?? My department averages around 200 calls a year, this includes first responding, MVA's and fires. We Usually have 5 people show up. At a Major structure we might have 8 show up. (THANK GOD FOR MUTUAL AID) We have 10 members, 3 probies, 3 juniors. Out of those members maybe 6 will acctually suit up to go into a fire, the others consider themself too old! So do you have this same problem?

During Daytime we are VERY short!! As in lucky that 2 people show up. Made many of calls on my own with mutual aid comming!!!

------------------
    This is my opinion only and not of my department

[This message has been edited by firefighter2 (edited September 14, 2000).]

fjbfour
    Firehouse.com Guest

YES!!

We have 19 members, half of which - including the Chief - live outside of the fire district (within City limits of Superior). Daytime fire calls we're lucky to produce 5 members, daytime EMS you've really scored when you get two. Night fire calls will produce up to ten, and EMS maybe four. Thankfully, ALS ambulances are close by in the city, and we automatically call for mutual aid for all fires. The city of Superior has saved our bacon (thanks SFD!!) on a few daytime fires.

We're having a bear of a time recruiting. Some say there's too many city folk volunteers (of which I am one) on the department, but we take what we can get. Better them than no one.

------------------
    Frank Billington, #11
    Town of Superior Fire Online
    Opinions expressed here are not necessarily that of Town of Superior Fire.

Lgreeves
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

I have a few questions. One, how is the firefighter notified of a call? If by pager they should receive the page within 15 miles with on problem(there is Murphy's law to contend with). Two, are you requirements to relaxed on hiring? My department looks at location of residence of the firefighter to firehouse in the application stage. I know all fire departments are different and you have special obsticals to over come that I don't know about.
    I think I would try and double your staff by help wanted ads in the news paper and setting up a information table(manned for questions) at community events so that people will see that you are in need of help.

Philip C
    Firehouse.com Guest

My company has somewhere around 80 or 90 ff on the books, of which 45-50 regularly ride. We don't respond from home; we staff the station around the clock (try to),including 4 career ff 0700-1500 M-F. We've averaged 2900+ calls annually since 95 and always seem to make each call. Our slimmest time period for response is daily between 1500-1830 when people are still at or coming home from work.

Things aren't too bad for us now but we too are experiencing a lack of volunteer spirit as far as recruitment is concerned. I wish you the best and hope things get better. Take care and be safe.

------------------
    Phil Clinard
    Laurel VFD
    Prince George's Co Sta 10
    Laurel, MD
    www.laurelvfd.org

ENGINE18-3
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have about 30 active members but during the day we have about 6 guys average responding because the other guys are at work but at night we usually average about 20 guys per run. During the day needless to say we have automatic mutual aid on our box.

------------------
    FF Greg Grudzinski
    Oaklyn Fire Dept.
    Station 18-3

Looper
    Firehouse.com Guest

We are fortunate to have about 75 members out of 3 stations. All memebers are alerted by voice papger. During the weekday we have a "paid" duty crew (4 men, staggered shifts, 0700-1800) running out of our central station. Daytime structure fire will still get about 20 members. Night time will be about 35 people.

Part of the reason for the good response is the make up of our membership. We have 14 who are career firefighters (off 2 days out of 3) or dispatchers (work a bunch / off a bunch). We have 3 members who are police officers working night shift. Also have a couple more guys who work in distcrict and are allowed to leave work for major fires.

Our call volume (fire/EMS first responder) has been around 1425 per year. This year we will be well over 1500. We also are seeing a decline in volunteers -- recruit classes that used to start with 20 are now lucky to have 10. I guess its time to get more creative in our recruiting!

smokeeater51
    Firehouse.com Guest

For the first time in quite a while, our department is at full staff with 28 members.
    However, on average, only 15 or so are active. Our seven line officers, two of our three crew chief's, and eight of our firefighters make up our fighting force. The others are space wasters and title junkies, both of which I have little time for. I am an associate member with a fire department in Maine, where I first became a firefighter in 1991, and they are at full staff with a waiting list!

Take care, stay safe, and stay low.

Lt. Spinney

Les.H
    Firehouse.com Guest

My station has a compliment of 16 personnel who work or live within a short distance of the station. We have an average of 700 calls a year and turn out with the minimum 4 during the day and the max of 5 at evenings and nights.
    Most of the personnel have over 10 years service and four of us have over 20 years in. There is a waiting list to join our station. Some stations in the county do have a problem with recruitment and struggle to keep the pump on the run. These are mainly rural, farmland areas and are covered by the next station if there is a problem. Two stations are always mobilised to a structure fire anyway so we cover a large area. My station ground is 39 sq kilometers.

------------------
    Kindest regards & keep safe,

Sprinkle (UK)

firebox1
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have thirty one on the list, ten are full time and tha's including the chief, with the rest being volunteer's, at one point we were down to fifteen but as so as everyone found out how much the volunteer's made we now are at thirty one people, Two captains for the volunteer's are the only one left from when the dept. started in 1979, During the day we might get eight or nine for any call at night the same but on a good working fire we get 28 to 29 people to show up. But on drill night's that is a different subject we get about 11 to 12 and than about half leave.

NCOTS
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have a shortage of members also. During the day we might have 1 or 2. During the evening hours we might have 3 to 5. Luckily we have help from our sister stations. I hope that your department will get more volunteers as I need them as well. Good luck!

wsfd
    Firehouse.com Guest

our dept was fromed in 1893 and at that time 36 members were all they wanted to have, now we still have that same amount, we to run into the daytime shortage situation, we have 5 to 10, if we're lucky respond durning the hours of 7:00 am to 5:00 pm,and deer hunting time we're lucky to have 2 to 3 in town,but any time after 5:00, we have 15 to 20 show on just about any call.

Thread Information