shenry32
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Vol response times

Just curious about different areas response times, by this I mean both out the door AND on scene times.
    If you could also state the type of community you serve it would be helpfull.

My dept averages 3-4 minutes out the door and 6-8 minutes on scene. Anything longer than 9 minutes on scene tends to get us in trouble.
    We serve about 60,000 people in a 19 sqr. mile suburban/light industrial area.

Scott Henry

mark440
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

My Volly department covers 4 cities, aprox population of 12,000. Mixed urban/rural area.
    Average out the door time of 2 minutes, most of the calls are quicker. On-scene time average is 4 minutes. Working on-scene time: Fire- 45 minutes to 1 hour
    Medical- 30 minutes or less

Take care

Mark

------------------
    If in doubt - Call us out

ADSN/WFLD
    Firehouse.com Guest

I'm curious, how do you achieve such quick out the door times? Do you have sleep ins, does a core group of people live close to the station, what are your rules for blue lights and obeying the traffic laws?

When I lived about a 1/2 mile from my station I could get to the station and on a rig in two minutes, but I was the exception because of how close I lived.

My part time dept is a combination department, suburban residential about 28,000 people, and the POC's can get a rig out in about 4 to 5 minutes. In house crew is out under 2 min. We cover about 14 square miles so most responces are under 5 min.

[This message has been edited by ADSN/WFLD (edited October 11, 2000).]

ENGINE18-3
    Firehouse.com Guest

About 4-5 minuets to get the 1st truck out into the street and about 2-5 minuets to the location. And we are an urban dept. (suburb of Phila. on the Jersey side of the Delaware) and our district is 6000 people jammed into 1 square mile.

------------------
    The statements above are my own opinions

FF Greg Grudzinski
    Oaklyn Fire Dept.
    Station 18-3

Fire Line
    Firehouse.com Guest

Last call was less than 30 seconds. (was in the hall doing paper work errr!) Usually less than 3 minutes from Hall 1 and depending on the time of day 3 to 5 minutes from hall 2. On scene can be as long as 10 minutes, usually less than 5. We have quite a few twisty gravel roads in our rural parts the 26 sq.mile fire protection area. Frustating when you are waiting for a mile long train to get clear of the rail crossing, though only happens every couple of years or so.

JAMESBENNETT
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I AM WITH A 100% VOLUNTEER FIRE DEPARTMENT AND WE COVER A CITY THAT IS ABOUT 8 SQUARE MILES AND SERVE 6000 PEOPLE IN TOWN. OUR RESPONSE TIME OUT OF THE HOUSE IS ON AVERAGE BETWWEN 2-4 MINS. OUR ON SCENE RESPONSE IN TOWN IS NEVER LONGER THAN 8 MINS. WE COVER ABOUT ANOTHER 8 SQUARE MILES OUTSIDE OF TOWN WITH ABOUT ANOTHER 7000 PEOPLE AND OUR ON SCENE TIMES VARY FROM 8-15 MINS. DEPENDING ON THE AREA AND DIRECTION. WE COVER ABOUT A THIRD OF OUR COUNTY FOR RESCUE AND THE FUTHEREST RESPONSE WE MAKE IS ABOUT 20 MILES. I HATE TO SAY IT, BUT NOTHING IS GOOD ABOUT HAVING TO RESPOND 20 MILES WHEN YOUR BEST RESPONSE AVERAGES A MILE A MINUTE.

Looper
    Firehouse.com Guest

13 sq.miles, 50,000 people, 3 stations.

Average out the door time is 3-4 min. On scene time is usually less than 4 min. One thing that helps is that the time from call receipt to dispatch is about 20 sec. This keeps our times under 8-9 min from time of call to on scene.

One station has daytime duty crew. Everyone else carries pagers.

Dalmatian90
    Firehouse.com Guest

For most calls, first truck is out the doors in 2-3 minutes, last one out in about 7 minutes...though daytime it may take closer to 12 minutes to get all the trucks (3 Engines, 1 Ladder, 1 Rescue, 1 Service) on the road. Most of the population we serve is within a couple minutes of the stations...most of the geographical area we're first due is within 5 minutes.

Officer is usually on scene (POV) within 2 minutes of tones...

Ambulance averages about 7 minutes to sign on...most ambulance calls handled by scheduled crews and have to wait for all the crewmembers to get to the station.

CAPTAIN WHO
    Firehouse.com Guest

No in house response. Time of page out to on scene. 6 min with 1st unit. In town response.

Out of town whole other question. Longest run was 1hr on a mutual call with really lousy directions e.g. Turn left at Mrs. Thomas's Black cow. Then turn right where Jack Schmidt had his bale stack last year. Look for smoke.

We found 2 other smudge fires on route. You have to love rural firefighting.

Brian Dunlap
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

My Department protects a 2.1 Square Mile Boro of mostly Residential/Small Business ~ There is is Large Medical Complex including a close to 400 + Bed Hospital ~ We respond to approximatley 400- 430 Calls per year ~ Our Average Response times vary depending on the time of day ~ We are 100% Volunteer ~ We usually are out the door with the first piece with in 3-4 Minutes of the dispatch and 3-5 Minutes on location depending on traffic/what area of the town we are responding to

Truck109
    Firehouse.com Guest

On average, we can be going out the door with a full complement of equipment and manpower in about 5 min.
    Travel time is a different story, we cover a popoulation of about 3000 in an area of approximatley 150 sq. miles. 2500 of these people live right in the village, which means a responce time of 2min. The village only accounts for about 10% of our territory, so that leaves us with high travel times for everything else, ranging from 5 to 15 min., lots of rural roads to travel.

------------------
    Volunteers
    - The few,
    - The proud,
    - The Insane

[This message has been edited by Truck109 (edited October 16, 2000).]

Clyde Cushing II
    Firehouse.com Guest

We are a combo department. The first truck usally rolls out within 5 minutes. Depending on where the call is and the time of day response times can be a couple of minutes to as much 20 minutes on dirt roads. We cover an area of roughly 25 square miles. Lots of little narrow dirt roads.

HYTHE FIRE DEPARTMENT
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our department is located in a village of 725 people. The village is located in the middle of our rural coverage area of 452 square miles.

We do not staff the hall. On average it takes us just under 5 minutes to leave the hall. In the village, we will arrive in under two minutes. In the county, it can take us up to 25 minutes to reach the far reaches of our area.

pokeyfd12
    Firehouse.com Guest

Holy cow!!! 2 minute out the door times??? Do you people show up with the caller still on the phone talking to dispatch????? Two minutes is impressive for a volunteer house.

I live two blocks around the corner from the firehouse and even if I'm awake, dressed and have car keys in hand, at 45 MPH I can't make it to the station under 1 minute. I'm usually the first member, let alone officer there.

We cover 18 sq miles with a population of 25,000 mostly residential and partly commercial. We have two stations, ladder co. and an engine co. and each first due engine and truck can be out of the house in about 3-5 minutes of dispatch. Longest Code 3 drive in our area is about 7 minutes.

Lt. Kevin C. (aka Pokey)

bobgresh
    Firehouse.com Guest

1st unit usually out the door in 3-4 minutes. On scene time varies. We serve a town of approx. 900 souls. Our area of the county is 330 sq. miles/3000 pop. Can be as much as 20-25 minutes to some areas.

Dalma
    Firehouse.com Guest

I'm the furthest person from our station and it takes me 3 - 5 minutes to arrive at the station depending on time of day and state of dress when I receive the page. Usually we roll within one minute of my arrival. We service a town of 500 homes and additionally cover about 20 miles of highway. Most of our calls are MVA's and can take up to 20 minutes of driving to arrive on scene.

------------------

lpfd519
    Firehouse.com Guest

We cover an entire Parish (a county for the other 49 states) and have 20 stations. No house is more than 5 miles from a station. Our response time is usually about 5-7 minutes for the first units to arrive on scene. We run a rural water system and are not dependent on hydrants so we will respond at least 3-4 tankers (2500gals each) and a pumper(engine) to a working structure fire. As for volunteers, we arrive in our personal vehicles as soon as we can as we are not afforded any special priviledges on the roads. On most occassions, the ff's will arrive before the tankers do and are suited up and ready for the water upon arrival. We currently are rated at a 5 but hope to see that drop when we are rated in the next few years.

This is just a ROUGH idea of how we work. Stay safe,

Melissa

George Wendt, CFI
    Firehouse.com Guest

Did you honestly think that anybody was going to answer "It's normally about 15 minutes out the door with one piece. About 20% of the time no one shows up. If it's a job we need to go immediately to mutual aid."

Unfortunately, it is a reality that there are way too many vol. depts. in this category today. It would be interesting to hear from some of them.

Before you start typing, I AM a vol. myself. Just a realistic one.

George

FyredUp
    Firehouse.com Guest

Well George,

Let me tell you what. I am on that department!! On a good day we can have the first rig out the door in under 3 minutes and the second under 5. On a bad day you may find yourself standing alone in the station in turn-out gear. Our SOG's even address the problem "If not enough people show up to fully staff the first engine call for mutual aid before you leave quarters and ask for a second page for more manpower"

Reality bites, but it is reality. Unfortunately in today's world people work 20-40 miles or more away. People also don't set the FD as their number one priority like we used to. It used to be no matter what if you were in town you went to a call....not so with some people today. Explain it to me cause I sure can't. Fortunately it is getting better with people now coming to us to join instead of us having to practically beg for members.

I was in a station the other day with virtually word for word of the SOG mentioned above on their alarm room chalkboard....So it ain't only us!!

Brothers and Sisters if you spoke the truth above I find it truly wonderful. But if you fudged the truth, or can't or won't face the truth, who gets hurt in the final analysis?

Take care and stay safe,

FyredUp

Big Brother isn't watching over us...He is ignoring us.....

ac52
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hey George,
    Your right. I think the quick responses are the exception rather than the rule. I'm like you Fryed Up, at night I drive around the corner and I'm the 4th or 5th man on the truck and we are gone in about 2-3 min.

But weekdays if you get 3 warm bodies you go. Cus, nobody else is coming! Thank God for automatic mutual aid!!

The sad part about this is that my station is in better shape, manpower wise,both day AND night, than many stations around us.
    Hard to believe!

SRVFD2
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

George - I, too, am glad you introduced some reality to this topic!!! And the last two answers match our department pretty well. FyredUp explained the situation very well. We have several ff's living within 1/4 mi. of the station (and little traffic) so,yes, sometimes we can have response times less than 5 min. But like ac52, we're grateful for automatic aid during the day, and we, also like ac52, feel like our dept. is in much better shape than some around us.

Adze
    Firehouse.com Guest

2-4 minutes on good days, usually about 2.5

5-15 on bad days...

And for pokeyfd12 and anybody else who is wondering how we can get out the door in about 2 minutes...you obviously haven't seen us drive to the firehouse

I admit it...we have bad days...we had a mutual aid call for a fire alarm one night (automatic mutual aid). This place is a state run orphanage that tends to have alot of fire alarms. Well, tones went off around 2:30am or so and I headed down to the firehouse. About 5 minutes or so later, the whistle stops blowing on top of the firehouse and there I am...all alone in the engine waiting for someone else to show up!!! Well, about 5 minutes later, give or take a few minutes, someone else showed up and the two of us took off.

If it was a working fire in our area, then all the trucks (8 of them) would have been out of the firehouse within 5-10 minutes. During the day, we can empty the barn in 10-20 minutes (thanks to people leaving work) if we have a worker.

TDFDCaptain#5
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

Hi there. What an active forum. About response times, DEDICATION, DEDICATION, DEDICATION! I live 2 miles from our station, another Captain lives 1/4 mile closer than I, I work at home and can be to the hall in 2-3 minutes or less on average(traffic, weather all effects time)in daytime, 3-4 minutes at night from bed.
    When I pull into the parking lot, the first out pumper(two FF) is usually leaving followed by 2 FF in the tanker. The quick response is due to 3 firefighters living within 200 ft. of the station. Last med. call was 7:10 am with 8 FF leaving station in rescue by time I pulled in.
    The rest are living very close(small town of 800)in town. I admit that most of us do exceed the speed limits when safe and clear to do so.
    Some daytime calls can find me being the first or second to the station and in the first truck out due to lack of responders. We use our roof siren only in these cases along with another series of pages. On scene time averages 12 minutes with in town being 3 minutes, extreme edge of area being 15-20 minutes. Our area is mostly rural(100 sq miles)with luckily most calls being within 4 miles of station. All our trucks are new enough to go 65 miles/hr max. I tried to keep this as factual as possible. PS. We all run to the hall, run with our gear, and dress in the trucks. Our new probies cannot beleive how fast these "average" guys move with adreniline. We also use green lights on our POV's. Dept supplied, hiway traffic act enforced as VFF emergency light in province of Ontario only. Everyone stay safe, and keep up the great info.

FFTrainer
    Firehouse.com Guest

Depends on the call type, time of day and the driver. Our minimum is driver and 3 on an engine. There are guys who leave as soon as the minimum is met despite the fact that the last 2 guys on are in their 60's or 70's and probably not interior qualified, just so they can say they got out the door fast.

Don't get me wrong, response time is important, and I like getting out the door fast, but within reason. Guys go out and spend $350,000 on sparkling new engine that seats 10 men and still insist on leaving with a driver and 3. Take your driver out, you're down to 3, take your officer out as command, you're down to 2.... I think you see where I'm going. I would rather take the extra 2 minutes to get 2, 3, 4.... more guys rather than roll with a minimum to say "Boy we're fast!" -- well yeah, and you're short staffed as well!

Granted, in certain situations, an extra two minutes might matter, but as most of you know, the response to the station (both speed and numbers) increases exponentially when you are going to a confirmed structure vs. a smoke condition, dumpster, etc so in those situations, their probably isn't a need to wait, you're full and ready to go almost immediately, but for all the others, a minute is going to kill you, but the extra FF's you get sure may be a blessing once you get on scene.

Just a little different perspective to let you know that sometimes there is more than response time. There is also response quality!

cozmosis
    Firehouse.com Guest

Arrow

Combo department serving about 12,500 folks in an area of more than 100 square miles... Nearly 10,000 of those citizens live within our city limits. The remainder live within five miles of the city limits, which we also cover.

We have two stations staffed with 1 or 2 career firefighters 24 hours a day. When the tones drop, the engines roll. The remaining firefighters respond via POV. So, our out-the-door response time is between 30 seconds and one minute. An engine from one of the two stations can usually can get anywhere in the city in under five minutes.

-michael.

------------------
    Submit your FD's frequencies & incidents!
    Visit Internet Engine & Hose today.

Free web sites for Arkansas FDs
    Visit ArkansasFire.Net now!

Thread Information