Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    cherryvale1
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question LEADERSHIP SKILLS????

Just a thought for Volunteers

Am I the only one that has seen a GREAT firefighter get voted in as an officer and then seen the WORST leadership. Why do so many firefighters think their friend the "GREAT FIREFIGHTER" will make a good officer and when this is not so, refuse to admit the mistake and remove that person as an officer?

I have seen men that when they were not an officer, felt that an officer should not drive the engine. Yet when they became an officer, made rules to the effect "The officers are the first line drivers." These same officers want to get to the fire, jump out of the engine, tell someone else to run the pumps while they fight the fire, take command of the fire from inside, critize everyone else during the fire and then wonder why less and less firefighters respond.

How do you show someone that the following is not leadership!
    Trying all you can to run firefighters off that do not agree with you all of the time is not leadership!
    Acting nice to people to their face and calling them names behind their back is not leadership!
    Cutting one man down for doing something but laughing when you or another officer does the same thing.

If some of you have any ideas, please let me know. I have seen too many firefighters leave and too many stations suffer until distruction. Some stations in other counties and states have went down so far that homes burn needlessly.

BE SAFE
    BE PROUD
    BE A FIREFIGHTER

DFDRev
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

You could get that person a "congratulations on your promotion" gift. I suggest the book, The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership, by John Maxwell. It's a very easy read and is an eye opener to both leaders and followers.

Personally, I think this book should be required reading for anyone in a leadership position.

JAMESBENNETT
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

I AM HAVING TROUBLE WITH THE STATEMENTS YOU PUT IN YOU POSTING. IS THIS A PROBLEM THAT YOU ARE HAVEING WITH A PERSON IN PERTICULAR OR IS THIS SOMETHING THAT YOU ARE JUST SEEING ALL OVER AND YOU ARE TRYING TO FIND AN ANSWER TO. I HAVE BEEN WERE YOU HAVE DESCRIBED AND MAKING THE CHANGE FROM FF. TO LEADER IS NOT AS EASY AS IT MAY SEEM. AS A FOLLOWER YOU HAVE THE VANTAGE POINT OF BEING CRITICAL OF THE RULES THAT ARE MADE AND NOT EVERYONE WILL LIKE EVERY RULE. I SAID ALOT OF THINGS BEFORE I BECAME ASST. CHIEF THAT I HAVE HAD TO EAT BECAUSE AT THE TIME I SAID IT, THEY ONLY PERTAINED TO MY NEEDS OR THE NEEDS OF THE FEW. KNOW I AM NOT SAYING THAT I UNDERSTAND YOUR SITUATION AND I AM NOT TAKING SIDE'S, BUT I DON'T SEE YOU LOOKING AT THE OTHER SIDE OF THE FENCE IN YOUR STATEMENTS.

I WILL SAY THAT YOU HAVE MADE SOME VALID POINTS ABOUT DRIVING THE APPARATUS AND PUTTING SOMEONE ELSE ON THE PANEL, AND GOING TO FIGHTFIRE, BUT IF THIS MEANS HE IS ASSUMING HIS ROLE OF COMMAND AND DELIGATING THAT JOB TO AN FF. THAN ISN'T THAT HIS/HER JOB?

AGAIN, I AM NOT TRYING TO BE CRITICAL, BUT I HAVE WALK BOTH SIDE'S AND I HAVE MADE A FEW MISTAKES IN MYTIME THAT PEOPLE HAVE REPORTED TO ME THAT HAVE MADE SOME WANT TO QUITE, BUT I HAVEN'T NEVER TRIED TO RUN ANYONE OFF ON PURPOSE. I DO BELIEVE THAT RULES ARE THERE FOR OUR SAFETY AND VOLUNTEER OR WHAT EVER IT'S THAT WAY OR THE HIGHWAY. I HAVE SEEN PEOPLE ABUSE THERE ROLES AS LEADERS AND I HAVE SEEN LEADERS THAT USE THERE S.O.P. TO WIPE THEIR A** WITH AND I WOULD RATHER BE A PART OF A GROUP THAT FOLLOWED RULES(EVEN IF THEY ALL WEREN'T WHAT I PRESUMED TO BE UN-BIAS) AND GO HOME SAFE THAN THE OTHER WAY AROUND.

I KNOW I HAVE HARP LONG ENOUGH, BUT IF THIS IS A PROBLEM WITH SOMEONE IN PARTICULAR THAN IF THE NUMBER'S FEEL HE IS WRONG FOR THE ROLE THAN YOU WILL HAVE STRENGHT IN NUMBER'S. GREAT FIREFIGHTER'S DON'T ALWAY'S MAKE GOOD LEADER'S, AND GOOD LEADER'S ARE NOT ALLWAY'S GREAT FIREFIGHTER'S. TO BE A GOOD LEADER YOU MUST FIRST SET YOUR LIMITS AND THEN COMMUNICATE WITH THOSE WHO FOLLOW YOU, BECAUSE IN THE END THE FOLLOWERS WILL BE YOUR BIGGEST CRITICS!

I HAVE BEEN A PART OF MY DEPARTMENT FOR 14 YRS. THE NUMBERS OF PEOPLE THAT HAVE COME AND GONE ARE TOO NUMEROUS TO COUNT, BUT I WILL SAY THIS: THERE ARE 12 TO 15 MEMBERS ON MY DEPARTMENT THAT DON'T ALWAY'S LIKE THE RULES AND DON'T ALWAY'S FOLLOW THEM, BUT THEY UNDERSTAND THE JOB, DANGER, AND SAFETY FACTOR INVOLVED AND THEY HAVE BEEN HERE FOR AS LONG AS ME IF NOT LONGER. NORMALY THE PEOPLE THAT GET MAD AND QUITE WERE THERE FOR THE WRONG REASON OR THEY DIDN'T UNDERSTAND THE REPERCUSION OF THIER ACTION'S.

------------------
    SERVING FOR PRIDE
    PROUD TO SERVE!

Stewart311
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

I understand your problem we have had them like that too. Things can be worse though. How about having a great chief that almost all your firefighters love, he looked out after all that was under him and would have risk his life for all. He still would if it ever came to that point, but is no longer chief. The county fire coordinator underminded him to the point he couldn't handle the stress and had to step down. Even though this happened the majority would vote him back in today if he agreed. It's hard on all chiefs, but those who think their perfect don't know the meaning.
    Good luck

Thread Information