Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ffemtmjb
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Do you have your own SCBA mask?

Our department has 8 masks to go with our 8 MSA Ultralite II's. I am trying to convince the powers that be that we need to have our own individual masks. What does your dept do?

ArmyTruckCompany
    Firehouse.com Guest

If WA is an OSHA state, then you could use the argument that OSHA requires each individual to perform a yearly fit-test....Which esentially requires a personal mask!!!

Additionally, if there are any members which require corrective eyewear, the VFD is required by OSHA to provide SCBA maunfacturer-approved mask eyewear.

(At my VFD and at work I have my own mask..and before the volly house bought us our own masks, I had my own- simply because I know where it has been!!!)

------------------
    "Loyalty above all else, except honor."

MetalMedic
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

No personal masks here.. and I just hate to charge the unit and have someone elses hair blow into my mouth!!!!

------------------
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

smokeeater51
    Firehouse.com Guest

Everyone on our department (28 members) has their own mask, not to mention the spares we carry on the rigs just in case someone forgets theirs.

Lt.

ac52
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wow!! Did I take this for granted? Just about every FD in my county (Bucks, outside Philly) has been doing it this way for years.

Every F/F is fitted and issued a mask and a bag that attaches to a hook on the bunker coat. We carry spare masks on each truck.

ffemtmjb, I agree with ArmyTruckCompany, you should check to see if you are required to have them. If not, base your argument on cleanliness and fit.

Good luck,
    ac52

Dalmatian90
    Firehouse.com Guest

-- Eyeglass wearers are issued their own mask with lenses in them.
    -- Everyone fit tests annually.
    -- There's only three sizes out there (for Scott anyway) Small, Large, and Extra Large. Masks are kept with the Large that fits most in place, but each truck carrying Scotts also has a pair of Small and XL masks the users can switch to as their fit test indicated.
    -- Also have some Interspiros...and if you don't pass the fit test for them, you can only use a Scott since we didn't invest in other face masks for Interspiro.

Hammerhead338
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

This comming week we will be fit tested for our own masks, and we should get them the week after.

Joe

Looper
    Firehouse.com Guest

We use Scott packs and got the comfort fit style masks. Almost everyone was able to fit test with these. The few members that needed a different size were issued their own mask. Every rig carries a mask (comfort fit) for each SCBA. If someone forgets their own mask -- they're S.O.L.

CHFD73
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Everybody (arouind 110) have there own mask. This is based on members taking a physical and fit testing. We used the OSHA requirement for testing about 7 years ago as our legs to stand on in the fight. There is also three extra on the truck, rescue and one of the engines.

------------------
    Stay Safe!

FFCode3EMT
    Firehouse.com Guest

Every member is issued their own SCBA mask. In addition, there is a mask attached to the back of every SCBA seat on every apparatus.

------------------
    **The preceding comments in no way represent the views of my department, its members, or associations that it may belong to.**

iwood51
    Firehouse.com Guest

In the process of doing first ever fit test for everyone. We will then approach the powers that be to get individual masks. Shouldn't be a problem, although I can almost guarantee they will not provide lenses or eyeglass mounting kits. Dal90 how did you get that part through?

Ten8_Ten19
    Firehouse.com Guest

Getting your department to buy the mounting kits SHOULD be an easy sell. They are relatively inexpensive. If you get them to buy your lenses too count your blessings. If they don't seem receptive to buying both they may agree to buy the kits if you offer to buy the lenses. That's the deal in my department.

ArmyTruckCompany
    Firehouse.com Guest

iwood51- if NY is an OSHA state, your volly house basically has no choice- they have to provide you with SCBA maunfacturer approved mask eyewear, if you are expected to wear SCBA. There is no reason why they shouldnt- SCBA eyewear is cheap!!

------------------

DED1645
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

We also have a mask for each member fo the department. Our gear actually has a mask pouch in the from left of our turn out coats. I have my own personal mask which I payed for it has perscription glass in the face peice. I had to get the shatter resistance plastic specially made by an optometrist that is the same contour of the mask and then it was sent to Scott to have sealed into that mask. That stays in my POV. And if I should have my contacts in I use the mask issued to me by the departent.

------------------
    David DeCant
    Firefighter/NREMT-B
    New Jersey, USA
    Career or volunteer we are all brothers. Just feel good for the good you do for others.

Dalmatian90
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Like Army said, if you're a OSHA state and wear a respirator, you must be provided with a respirator that allows use of Prescription lenses while the respirator is in use.

"Ok Chief, so what was Firefighter Smith doing when he cut off his toe?"
    "Cutting a vent hole..."
    "Was he wearing an air mask while doing so?"
    "Yes."
    "Was he wearing prescription lenses, lenses he needs to wear to have proper depth perception at the time?"
    "No."
    "Wht not?"
    "Well, wearing standard glasses would break the seal of the air mask defeating it's purpose."
    "Are you aware the OSHA 29 CFR Part 1910.134 Respirator Standard requires wearing a NIOSH approved Respirator?"
    "Uh huh..."
    "Well, given that NIOSH 42 CFR Part 84, section 118, item B reads, "Full facepieces shall provide for optional use of corrective
    spectacles or lenses, which shall not reduce the respiratory protective qualities of the gas mask." would you care to explain why you did not provide prescription lenses to poor toeless Firefighter Smith, or shall we just end this deposition here and settle the lawsuit?"

(see http://www.osha-slc.gov/OshStd_data/1910_0134.html part (d)(1)(ii) for the NIOSH certified respirator being required and http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/part84.txt part 84.118 for the prescription lense requirement for being a certified respirator.)

Matt

Davidjb
    Firehouse.com Guest

We are in the proces of fitting members with their own mask, interesting thing is when I got fit tested, the first size they used was the size that is on all our trucks, and I failed the test. Needed the next size up, so if that isn't an agument for personal masks I don't know what is.

------------------
    David Brooks,
    FFII, Driver/Op, NRFR
    Newmarket Fire & Rescue
    Newmarket, New Hampshire
    www.NewmarketNH.com/fire
    (All opinions are my own)

fireman703
    Firehouse.com Guest

It is mandatory for us in WA state to have our masks fit tested. My dept only issues individual masks to those who require a small or larger sized mask. I do think it is a good idea to issue everyone a mask and I am going to approach my chief on this.

GBordas
    Firehouse.com Guest

We use the Scott 4.5's None of our fireman have their own mask. All of our units carry spare masks in all sizes, each pack is equipped with one and our Air and Light unit has even replacement parts should any part of the mask require repair. After a worker that requires the use of a mask, we just wash them out just as you would with equipment and tools back at the firehouse. Are you guys worried about germs? Is that why you have your personal mask? Is it because you want a proper fitting mask? Find one that fits for you and when you're done with it WASH IT OUT!

FFII/EMT-D, G.Bordas

ArmyTruckCompany
    Firehouse.com Guest

GBordas-
    Are you guys worried about germs? Is that
    why you have your personal mask? Is it because you want a proper
    fitting mask? Find one that fits for you and when you're done with it
    WASH IT OUT!

--1. If I require a small or large mask, and the engine I am riding on only has mediums on board, what am I supposed to do? Wait to get to the scene and look in another truck for the size I want?? ok, I walk over to the neighbors rig and open the door.....Hmmmm....They have MSA's....I am wearing a Scott.....That ain't gonna work.....

Worried about germs? DAMN RIGHT I AM!! How many volly's kids have been in the station between the last time the masks were washed and now?? How many of them slobbered into the mask?? How much dust has gotten into the mask?? Hair? pollen...bugs....Shall I continue??

My mask has been fit tested. It has been sanitized BY ME and my mask glasses are installed. My mask has NOT been worn by the kids climbing all over the truck. I know where my mask has been. Masks are cheap. There is no reason in the world why volly companies can not purchase one for each member. We don't share condoms....Why share masks??

------------------

craiggEMT
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our dept. uses Scott 2.2s. Each harness is accompanied by a large facepiece. Those who need small,x-large or facepieces fitted with prescription lenses, the dept. pays for them. As far as germs, after every use the facepieces are thoroughly cleaned, inside and out, with alcohol wipes.

Stay safe, stay alive!

[This message has been edited by craiggEMT (edited 11-23-2000).]

Thread Information