Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    smokeeater51
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink Two years, and still going

Well, as of the 12th, it's been two years since our last working structure fire. Thank God for community mutual aid. Just credit it to our wonderful fire prevention program.
    When was your last worker? Not including mutual aid runs!

Lt.

FSRIZZIO
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

Our last one was about a month ago. Things went pretty smooth, made a good stop. Considering the previous was a year before, I was pretty proud of our guys. With the turnover rate we've had over the past five years, I get nervous when we go a long time in between working structure fires. Several young newbies that have been on the Dept. a year or better. Makes me stay hot on our training officers.

Be Safe, Frank

JAMESBENNETT
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Well our last alarm was 11/13/2000 at 5:45 a.m. It was reported to be an attic fire at the Rural Metro Ambulance main station here in town. It was started by a dirty heater and we stopped it in the duct-work with no structural damage except to the heater.

Our last out-right burn was about a month ago when we burned down a paper house(mobile home) about 7 miles in the county at 4:30 a.m. It is hard to say we burned it down,due the fact it was a mobile home, but we have managed to save a few of them.

------------------
    SERVING FOR PRIDE
    PROUD TO SERVE!

chiefjay4
    Firehouse.com Guest

last month was our last worker

ffemtmjb
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Our last working fire was in January when we got called to a fully involved farm shop. Talk about a fire load! Tractor tires, bales of straw, 5 gallon metal chemical cans shooting off like rockets, and .22 amunition going off all over the place! Did I happen to mention that there were gusting winds up to 35 miles per hour?

mark440
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Our last worker was on 11-02-2000. Flames coming out of the roof possible entrapment. Was a good fire. The second floor was destroyed. The last worker before that was a milk barn job. Just a little less then a month ago. We have had a great deal of structures this year.

Mark

------------------
    If in doubt - Call us out

SRVFD2
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smokeeater - I agree you should be proud of your community fire prevention program!! Our community consists of a lot of senior citizens who weren't used to having a fire dept. close, so knew how to fend for themselves!! I really think they are more careful than the average citizen. And since we got our dept. 10 years ago, our main emphasis has been Prevention! We average 8-12 runs a year (They usually come in 3's - DOES ANYONE ELSE NOTICE THAT PATTERN???)

ffemtmjb - Being a farmer, farm shops are ALWAYS mentioned when we have a haz mat class!! I think few things are more hazardous!!

Neptune 33
    Firehouse.com Guest

The last worker in our run area, not counting mutuals? Hmm, at least a year maybe longer, I can't remember!

------------------
    Neptune 33

JAMESBENNETT
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face

WEll it me again, At 5:42 a.m. today 11/15/2000. We were dispatched to a structure fire about three miles north of the city. First unit on scene ,Chief Two, reports double-wide mobile home, with the north end and peak showing fire. The next words were the one's we all dread! MAN STILL IN SIDE! First engine out takes a hand line in, 8 minutes from dispatch to attack, fire was contained to the north end and roof, but they found the man down and out from smoke! Rest In Piece!!!! Preliminary cause is a power strip that had five appliances plugged in to it! Will follow with more and picture of house once they are developed!

------------------
    SERVING FOR PRIDE
    PROUD TO SERVE!

Nick SBFD 6
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

Our last worker? Hmmmm.... Well, had a barn go a couple of months ago, nothing big and Saturday we had a camp 3 miles in the woods go, again nothing. Other than mutual aid it has bee about a year and a half or so. Hey Spin, was that Ayer Fence???

smokeeater51
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

You got it Nick. And the last time I got in to see & fight fire was at the fire that Dover had on Broadway back in March. I always seem to be working when we get called any other time. Ain't it always the way?!

Spin.

Clyde Cushing II
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our last working structor fire was back in September. The local bar burned down . Being a college student in a college town and that being the only bar in a thirty mile radius, I cried like a baby. We lost the building do to the age of it. We ended up leveling the building and carting it off to the local gravel pit. It was so sad to see all of that great booze burn.

smokeeater51
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

Clyde, are you on Machias FD? If so, I believe you know a cousin of mine. My last name is Spinney.

Lt.

Nick SBFD 6
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face

The forums are just one big happy family, I have a second or third cousin on Machias Fire, don't ask me his name! For departments in our area, thank god for Eliot, York, Dover
    Berwick and North Berwick or else it'd be a dead and lonley place! What is it that makes a town so resistant to fires? when the next town over who is roughly the same size, with the same buildings and population demographics has fires all the time? Strange. I would have to agree with Lt. and chock one up to a top notch fire prevention program

FiRsqDvr45
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

May this year. We had a three section building comprised of 2 - 100 x 300 metal 2 story moving and storage warehouses (one also contained a paper shredding company) that were connected to a 75 x 50 1 story concrete block portion that held the offices and air conditioned storage catch fire. We only lost one of the buildings partially due to a preplan that worked and the fact that we had re-evaluated it only 2 months before. The other factor was that we struck 7 alarms and special called another 8-10 units above that bringing fire apparatus and personnel from 40 towns in 4 counties and three states. With out those people the dollar value would have been triple (or worse) then the estimated $3-5 million dollar loss. Unfortunately it also blew our loss vs. capita rating thru the roof.

FF/EMT Jay Ellingson
    Newington NH FD

smokeeater51
    Firehouse.com Guest

Jay, I was at the Allards fire, quite a sight. Our engine was at the end of the drive pumping to the shipyards engine. I was there taking pictures, both photo and video, got some good stuff too. I would have to say that it was the largest fire I have ever seen, first hand, a really awesome sight.

Lt.

Nick SBFD 6
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

The ALLARD's fire... Who woulda thought South Berwick would ever go to Newington.
    Went over on the tanker as the lone working representative.

pvfr fyrfyter
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

good topic. our last structure fire was the last of three arson fires in 12 days on 4-19-99. The last one was across the street from the station and took 4 depts., 13 units, 55 firefighters and 20 odd bls personnell to end the call. unfortunately all we saved was the basement.

------------------
    The few, the proud, the insane- Volunteer Firefighters

nsfirechap
    Firehouse.com Guest

Ours was about 3 hours ago - a trailer.

smokeeater51
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

"Ours was about 3 hours ago - a trailer"

Still two years. Actually, two years, eight days, and eight hours. Not that I'm counting or anything.

Lt.

Thread Information