ffemtmjb
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question How many of your members are really passionate about firefighting?

In our 24 member department, I would say that there are only two or maybe three of us that are really passionate about firefighting and are willing to put forth the extra effort on training and continuing education. How about your department?Definitely have to put this question under the "just wondering" category

------------------
    Mike Bagott
    Palouse Fire Dept.
    Palouse, WA

GBordas
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our department consists of 150 members with about 75% of them active. We also have a womens auxillary that contributes to a lot of the functions that the fire department hosts to raise money such as car washes, bake sales, etc. As far as our firefighting force most of the guys are still enthusiastic about being firemen and going on calls; The younger guys even more so. I think by having a lot of good moral in the firehouse is important and contributes to how much members participate. It makes them want to be there rather than just feeling obligated to do so without any enthusiasm.

It's just my input

FFII/EMT-D G. Bordas

Kelly Tool
    Firehouse.com Guest

Of our 30 member department there are about 10 that are really passionate. Yet even these guys get burnt out too. If we could get all of our members to give like the group of 10 then we wouldn't have manpower problems and we'd get every one of our trucks off the floor.

------------------
    Put the wet stuff on the red stuff
    Visit our Dept. Schodack Valley
    Steve Kelly Jr.
    SVFC

Fireman488
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

In 30 plus years of being a volunteer firefighter, I have found that there will always be different levels of interest/committment no matter where you are.

Personally, I have always been passionate about firefighting and probably always will.

However, less passionate firefighters, are just as important/needed, as long as they maintain an appropriate level of activity and training.

xchief9b
    Firehouse.com Guest

It depends on your definition of passionate. Are you referring to only firefighting/training/calls? Or are you including the other necessities such as fund raising, public education, public (non emergency) service, etc. Each has its own merits and associated detriments in this era of the expanded "fire" service, where we continually take on more and more responsibilities for the same pay. $0

ffemtmjb
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

xchief9b: Good questions. When I originally posted this topic, I was thinking of passionate in terms of members that love the actual physical and mental challenges of firefighting and rescue, both the real thing and training. I certainly agree with you that the demands on and responsibilities of those in the volunteer fire service have expanded greatly over the years. Unfortunately, if the passion for the core mission of a fire department isn't there, it is going to be hard to get people motivated to put up with the rest of the things that are required of us.

------------------
    Mike Bagott
    Palouse Fire Dept.
    Palouse, WA

Thread Information