Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: EMS Progarms

BayRidge60
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question EMS Progarms

I asked this question in the First Responder/BLS forum and didn't get much response, so I figured I'd give it a try here. How many departments out there have EMS/First Response programs? If you have one, do you require all your members to participate? What level of care do you provide? What percentage of your total annual runs does EMS make up? I'm just curious...
    My department has roughly 45 members. We do not require members to participate in the EMS program. We currently have 13 EMT-D's, 4 CFR-D's, and 1 Paramedic. We provide BLS care only, unless our 1 Paramedic is on scene. This year, our call volume has been aout 60% Fire and 40% EMS.

Fireman488
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our all volunteer fire department has approximately 60 active members.

We run a BLS ambulance, which must be staffed at least one EMT, in order to respond.

We have two different types of membership:
    strictly EMS or Fire/EMS.

The EMS members are required to be EMTs.
    The Fire/EMS members are not.

Until last year, Fire/EMS members were required to be EMTs in order to be officers.
    However, that bylaw has been rescinded.

Last year we had approx. 600 fire runs and 500 EMS runs; which is about average for us.

Hope this helps...

Stay safe.

Fireman488

MetalMedic
    Firehouse.com Guest

Originally posted by BayRidge60:
    My department has roughly 45 members. We do not require members to participate in the EMS program. We currently have 13 EMT-D's, 4 CFR-D's, and 1 Paramedic. We provide BLS care only, unless our 1 Paramedic is on scene. This year, our call volume has been aout 60% Fire and 40% EMS.
    You pretty much described my department's EMS operation. We are authorized 45 members and currently have about 13 active EMTs. 3 of these are paramedics. We are divided into two squad crews that alternate every-other week on-call. Both crews respond for vehicle crashes and during daytime and holidays to provide additonal staffing. We can only provide paramedic level of care when one is available, so we do not profess to be a "paramedic" rescue squad. I don't have the numbers with me, but I would estimate we run 60% EMS and 40% Fire calls (not counting public service runs like CO detectors and such).

------------------
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

glasscityEMT
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our volunteer department has aprox. 40 members.

All members are required to complete EMT-B training within their 16 month probationary period. (The department pays for this.)

We currently have aprox. 10 Paramedics on our roster.

We provide ALS service with a squad (ambulance) and our first out engine. If none of our medics make the call we provide BLS service only (On both rigs, ALS supplies are in a locked cabinet that only medics have a key for.)If the squad goes out BLS before a medic arrives at the station, the Engine will roll ALS as soon as a medic and a full crew is available. We are also backed up by a county "Life Squad" (ALS ambulance).

We ran aprox. 300 calls in 2000 with 80% being EMS.

Looper
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have 75 members, with about half having various EMS certifications. We don't run ambulances, first responder only. EMS calls make up about 30% of our total runs. There is no membership requirement for EMS cert, although it is encouraged. We currently are BLS first responders, but trying to upgrade to ALS.

gls779
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

Wee have about 50 members, in active status. We do not require them to be EMS. We run around 1000 call a year with a 45% EMS and 55% fire split. We are BLS only with a vol. ALS rescue squad just down the street. We are trying to cut some calls to the factories that have nurses and EMT's working there.

Catch
    Firehouse.com Guest

Of our roster of 11, we have 1 paramedic, 2 EMT/Paramedic Students, 1 EMT, and 4 first responders. We don't require FFs to respond on EMS, but the 3 that don't are dying to take a first responder course. Currently just BLS first response, but heavily concidering going to ALS once the two medic students get licensed. Approx. 60% of the calls are EMS.

Bob Snyder
    Firehouse.com Guest

In my section of the county, EMS squads are independent entities with their own revenue sources, people, equipment, rigs & buildings. ALS crews are generally made up of paid personnel, augmented with some volunteers for BLS & non-emergency transports. Fire companies provide assists for rescue, lifting, and other manpower and tool related functions, but none run QRS, BLS, ALS or any regular EMS assignments of any kind.

I'm perfectly happy with total separation & specialization, and I wouldn't change it under any foreseeable circumstances.

Rescue678250
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Im in a Dept with 2500 year calls, and 280 members. People choose to be FF, or FF\EMS, or just EMS. :-).

We are Primary EMS for our area, about 60%(Im taking a guess here) of our calls are EMS. When the call comes in they say which companys should respond.

e.x. We have an EMS call. Truck 1, Hose 1, Engine 3 are asked to respond. So whoever shows up just hops on one of our three ambulances. And the strictly EMS people can go to any call.

Thread Information