dave peck
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question living quarters in volunteer firehouses

For those of you who have living quarters in the volunteer fire house, is this working for you and are there any other benifits than a quicker response?

NCRSQ751
    Firehouse.com Guest

Residents can be made responsible for pm on vehicles and equipment as well as other statiion duties that keep the place clean and running more effectively. You have to choose your residents carefully, but it can be a great program.

Lewiston2Capt
    Firehouse.com Guest

My company is thinking of building apartments on the fire hall. The reasoning is that due to zoning and poor luck there are only single family dwellings and 3 duplexes in our district and it makes it difficult to retain FFs because the younger ones have to keep moving out of the area.

J Almon
    Firehouse.com Guest

Another good thing we've found from our live-in program is it provides better security for the stations. It also raises the department's visibility in the community.

Brian Dunlap
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Having Live-Ins has advantages and Dis-Advantages -- Quicker response, Maintenance on equipment, Security, Clean-Ups Yes...But the Down-Fall...You eventually end up with a group that thinks because they live at the hall they own the hall...and they sometimes will keep thier own living/sleeping area an absolute mess...I have seen this first hand in the department I used to belong to before not the one I'm with now.....Now I personally think if the program is regulated and supervised properly it can work out....Check out Prince Georges County Maryland....There are Several Companies that I know of that have Live-Ins and the programs seem to work very well !!!!

HAMMER14
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have a bunkroom here at Berwyn Heights, We are only a couple of miles from the University of Maryland. We have bunks for 13 live in members (12 male, 1 female), and 5 beds for other members who would like to sleep in. Around here you live in members are the backbone of the firehouse! They are the ones who run 75% of the calls. We try to have a mix of College students and other people with regular jobs. If you want to live in the firehouse, you need to either go to college full time, work full time, or a combination of both. You are also required to be here a certain number of nights. If you bunkroom is a bunch of stooges then the firehouse looks like a bunch of stooges. The live in program was here before I got here. I was a live in and it was some of the best times of my life, Learned a lot! Yes there are times when things get a little messy. Overall, the firehouse would not survive without the bunkroom members. And yes we are in PG County, MD.

Chops
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have an almost identical program to Berwyn Heights here at Hyattsville. The benefits are amazing to your volunteer and/or combination system. If you have a university or college around, advertise around there for live-ins. College Kids like me are looking for a free place to stay and helps you out too.

Chops
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have an almost identical program to Berwyn Heights here at Hyattsville. The benefits are amazing to your volunteer and/or combination system. If you have a university or college around, advertise around there for live-ins. College Kids like me are looking for a free place to stay and helps you out too. Here in PG county as well as the Syracuse, NY area has student-based live-in programs.

Philip C
    Firehouse.com Guest

I too am a vollie in Prince George's County, MD and without dedicated members who live in and others that sleep in when they can, we could not cover the large amount of calls we receive. It is fairly common for live-ins to respond to 700-1000+ calls yearly.

As HAMMER14 and Chops will attest to, there are many nights when a company can put 1 or 2 pieces on the street and maybe have another crew at the station. Another positive thing this kind of staffing does for a company is it boosts morale. It is a source of pride to know you have a strong and dedicated membership to get multiple pieces out the door. Take care and be safe.

------------------
    Phil Clinard
    Laurel VFD
    Prince George's Co Sta 10
    Laurel, MD
    www.laurelvfd.org

comwhite
    Firehouse.com Guest

Can those of you who have experience with the live in program tell me how it works. We are about nine miles from a university and I think our department might benefit from it. What does the department supply to those who live there, a bed, food,...?
    Do they sign a contract to be on call so many nights?
    Personal lives?
    Any thing you know would be greatly appreciated.

J Almon
    Firehouse.com Guest

Here's the high points of our live in program of about a dozen years.
    Members are provided private living quarters in a wing of the station designed for live ins. They are provided no furniture and have to provide proof of a renter's insurance policy. They can buy their own food and use the commons area kitchen, as long as they clean up after use.
    No alcohol on the property. If they have a "night out" they must retire direct to their rooms and are off call for 6 hours. We require a weekly apparatus check, station cleaning, lawn service, and the ability to answer calls for 55 hours a week. Most cover this during sleeping hours on quiet weeks. Some work for area fire departments, some work days, some nights, so there is normally someone in residence.

Thread Information