Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    TDFDCaptain#5
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question How many full-time chiefs??

I'm curious as to how many rural vollie. depts. have a full-time 5 day a week chief hired to do paperwork, fire hall equipment inspections/maintenance, fire inspection/prevention, and attend fire dept./safety related meetings etc? I'm especially interested in dept. w/ less than 100 calls a year, pop. less than 10000 and 25 FF's or less. How are they justified and are they really necessary???

Thanxs!

Stay safe.

[This message has been edited by TDFDCaptain#5 (edited 03-02-2001).]

[This message has been edited by TDFDCaptain#5 (edited 03-02-2001).]

cfr3504
    Firehouse.com Guest

Just as a matter of info, my dept. is total volunteer, no pay for anybody for anything, period. We run usually less than 100 fire calls, and around 250-300 ambulance calls a year with 30-35 members.

HOTDOG
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our dept serves around 6500 people and we have no paid 5 day a week chief. Our inspections, etc. are done on our own time, as well as the paperwork. A few of us help carry the papertrail so the chief doesn't get overrun. Oh, we run around 130-160 call a year, no ems runs. Our fire prevention program serves 1/3 of our county and we do it on our own time, and the materials we distribute are paid for out of our own money, fundraiser money that is. We have a roster of 29 including officers. I would say that a full time chief would be a help to maintain a working relationship with adminstration and do the tasks you mentioned.

Begin with the ending in mind.

Be safe!

Islander
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our FD has 30 members, 29 volunteers and a paid part-time Chief.

The Chief is paid 30 hours per week to "... do paperwork, fire hall equipment inspections/maintenance, fire inspection/prevention, and attend fire dept./safety related meetings etc..."

Our town has 6000 people and we respond to approximately 60 calls per year. We do not provide ambulance services.

We fought hard and long to have our Chief's position, as a department head, paid and equal to other managers (Clerk, Parks & Rec., Public Works etc.) We continue to push council to make this position a full time one.

RJE
    Firehouse.com Guest

My dad's dept.: 65 members, 3 stations. Chief and Assistant get $50/month. Inspector gets $400 (he actually works part time, 20hours a week - for the Chiefs it's a "stipend"). Everyone else is unpaid (not even on call. ~2000 runs a year.

Mikell
    Firehouse.com Guest

I am chief of a small volunteer department. I am paid $25 a month. I put in on average five hours a day of my time towards department managemnt and all the duties associated and also work 40 plus hours weekly. We run less than 100 calls yearly with no medical calls.

Thread Information