Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Dutils791
    Firehouse.com Guest

My introduction into the fire service happened very rapidly. I called the chief at home on a Monday afternoon. "Hey, Lou, this is ____, _____'s son. Hey, I want to join the fire department..." Chief told me to come down to practice that night at 7pm. I got a pager, went over the engines and the equipment, listened to some war stories and went home. At 10pm that night the pager went off. I threw my coat on (Gortex, not Nomex) and jumped in the pickup with my father. I hadn't heard exactly what the call was so I was a little surprised when I heard we were rolling all five pieces. Being the new guy they threw me on the first-out-of-central/second-due engine. I remember thinking "Sh*t, I got The Big One, first call." It turned out to be a chimney malfunction, but it got my adrenaline going.
    I got my first structure a couple months later. I was getting ready for a hockey game at 9pm. At 6:30pm I was just spinning up the first load of pasta onto my fork when the tones came in for a structure fire. Since it was so close to our border the mutual aid engine was first in. I was on our second engine. We confined it to the room of origin and overhauled it in time for me to make it to my hockey game. I am interesting follow-up to that the same house just burnt down in March of this year. It was a daytime fire and the WHOLE place flashed at once. Being away at college I missed it. Oh well, there will always be other ones...

firefighter26
    Firehouse.com Guest

I first joined my department as a radio operator. My first call at that time was to a bush fire. I didn't have a pager yet and I just happen to be getting home from school when I noticed the bay doors to the hall where open, so I walked over to find all the trucks gone. I phoned dispatch and they told me that I missed it by about 10 mintues
    When I switched over to firefighter, my first two call where a First Responder call that I didn't even get to leave the hall on and an MVA that wasn't even in our district so there was no action on that .

The first call that I ever actually made it to as a firefighter was structure fire at a rest stop. Someone had sparked up washroom/vistor info booth. It was a lost cause as the entire unit was made of ceder.

FF_ONG
    Firehouse.com Guest

My first call came at 0230 or so, it was an MVA, i remember racing to the station, a whole 600 meters away, and hoping on the engine. Of course, we ended up getting canceled enroute by on scene law enforcement, but it was a hell of a ride and the first call i had and my first fire fighter "rush". it was something i wont forget, that first feeling of yes, i can get used to this.
    ff ong
    stay safe out there!

Smoke_N_Flames
    Firehouse.com Guest

Mutual Aid to a neihboring department on a structure fire...an old garage, no injuries.

alpha192
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face

First call -> auto alarm . . . what else!
    Second -> Dumpster . . . later that same night.

Keep Safe

P.S. that was 127 months ago. That's my story, and I'm stickin to it! I think?

LSVFDFFSTA61
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

My First was to a Car Fire. I was able to make the rescue truck but we were place ready. Still it was a very cool thing!!!!

CAPNJEFF1202
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

Mine was a 300lb DOA in a bathroom of a mobile home. Had to squeeze in with 6 people but couldn't get her out. Ended up putting her on a bedsheet on the floor and draging her out.

Chief Taylor
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

My first volunteer call was single car multiple fatality auto accident. three teenage girls skipped out of school and crashed their pickup into a large tree.

I was pretty tramatized for awhile. I was first one on scene, and was brand new with little EMS experiance or training. WOW what a difference 18 years makes.

blitzline
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face

My pager went off at almost 430 in the morning and I remember how I was instantly awake, heart pounding. It was only a few blocks from my house. I remember all the sights and sounds and smells of fire. It ended up being a fatal 2 alarm in a duplex with the victim on the 1st floor. The occupant was a COPD patient on O2 who still liked his cigarettes, you can probably figure out how that one started. It was the first time I had seen an untimely death. Me and my FFI school partner ended up helping the paid guys with mop up on the fire floor next to tarp covering the body. Kinda eerie, but still, very exciting.

ffhale
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

hello all,
    im a 16 year old australian victorian guy, and have been in a juniours program for about 2 years, but we were not allowed to turn out,

whenb i became an active member @ 16 years of age my fires turn out was a MVA - a two car head on, in 1 car to elderly ladies ( both of which were both fine) and in the other car, a mum and a babie, the babie got thrown out of the car and across the road ( lucky no cars were coming) and that was rushed off by a ambulance, and the mum was traped in the car, a rescue team was sent in, who set up incase the car lit up, and then cut the car open, and got the mum out, a ir ambulance landed and took her away, but for me most of the night was directing traffic back, or helping out up on the 'front line' . the one thing that did amase me, was how many people, took it out on the volenteer, for being 'misconvienced' aso that was my first call, and i have attended a few since then, most grass fires or MVA's , the one thing being a vollie tells you is, never take anything for granted, one minite you can be fine, and the next minite gone.

wana email me or anything, talk about experences, send a message to - travis_d_1984@hotmail.com

- Travis

think about this quote...

'Heros are People in a situation that do extraordanory things, so what do you call the people that run into the situation?'

Fire/Rescue43
    Firehouse.com Guest

First call, man thats been 16 years ago. It was a fatal auto accidnet, as I remeber the car hit a utility pole, the passanger was partial decapitated and the driver was flown out by Med Evac. I couldn't help with the extrication or patient care but I felt I was watching something important happening.

A strange fact is that my future wife was at the same call, it was also her first call as a new EMT on the local ambulance squad.

Stay safe

Exclamation

A JOB! (and that's just about how I looked when I heard a working fire transmitted. Granted, I didn't have gear at the time, and had to use spare gear off the second due engine from my house (wasn't quick enough for 1st due), but it was awesome! My insurance cleard the same morning for me to ride the trucks as a member. I swear, i was glowing for days! No, i wasn't on the nozzle, or first or hek, even second line, but i helped out as i always do, in whatever capacity is needed, and felt like i accomplished something.

Forum Member

First official act? Waterball fight on 4th of July.

My team won.
    General McAuliffe said it best, "Nuts".

My first call was a EMS call to a man having sezures. When I got there he had gone into full arrest. We started CPR and hooked him up to an AED. Shocked him once before the med unit arived, and with the magic of drugs he had a heart beat when we loaded him in the med unit.

He made a full recovery and frequint's the station to this day.

I would have not been able to ask for a better outcome than what happened. Now I know that I can make a difference.
    George Phillips FF318
    Hickory Flat Volunteer Fire Dept.
    Cherokee County
    Company 3

My first call was a Dryer Fire. I had just started and in my first month of probationary period. I wasn't expecting to go in, and I was on the rescue comapny. When I steped off the truck the Chief says get packed up. Well when I went in the attack crew had the fire out but the place was full of smoke. If I had any doubts about joining the brotherhood they vanished then, Iwas hooked from that day on and would not change it for anything in the world.

Good post Chief:

My first call with my first fire company. Phillipsburg, NJ - Warren Chemical Engine.
    8 1/2 years ago. "My Place Family Restourant" Fire. Lots of smoke, little damage to kitchen area.

What memories!
    ideas expressed & posted in the forum(s) are my own.

Head-on MVA, two cars. A woman fell asleep at the wheel and crossd the yellow and hit a friend of my wife. The guy had tried to pull away but a guard rail wouldn't let him. The woman was air cared to Ohio but the man was taken to local hospital and later died. It was a lousy situation because two years ago our department didn't have any extrication gear even though 75% of our runs are MVA's. However, we are now set up to handle pretty much anything.
    Grant Davis
    Improvise,Adapt,Overcome

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

My first working fire I remember well....I spent most of my first year missing most of the more exciting calls because I hadn't "earned" my pager yet. We were always pretty short on equipment back then and you had to prove yourself for a few months before the the chief would pull some inactive member's pager so you could have it. So anyway, shortly after I got my pager, we get called one Saturday night to a small airstrip/crop dusting operation. Small hangar with attached office, fully involved...I could see the flames when I left my driveway. (I lived not far from there at the time and beat the engines to the scene). I remember a gas pump right in front of the office taking lots of radiant heat and I was real concerned about it at the time. My captain was right behind me, though..."C'mon, get in there!" "Hey, cap, there's a gas pump right there!" "Yeah, I see it, get in there!" What a rush.......
    and I agree, even after 12 years and hundreds and hundreds of calls later, I can still recall the smallest details of most of the "big ones".....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

My first call was an MVA in which a drunk decided to take a short cut through the tree tops. That was 7 years ago and I have been loving it ever since!
    Begin with the end in mind.

Be safe out there!!

My first call was 3 years ago. A three car accident but the two that hit first hit in the opposite lanes with the impact on the passagers side then the third car slides in
    we had the HP,sheriff,city,2 helicopters ,and 3 ambulances they also paged
    for another rescue unit from another county in all the years I was just a chaser to see what was going on this was the worst I had seen You all be safe

Thread Information