LSVFDFFSTA61
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

My First was to a Car Fire. I was able to make the rescue truck but we were place ready. Still it was a very cool thing!!!!

CAPNJEFF1202
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

Mine was a 300lb DOA in a bathroom of a mobile home. Had to squeeze in with 6 people but couldn't get her out. Ended up putting her on a bedsheet on the floor and draging her out.

Chief Taylor
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

My first volunteer call was single car multiple fatality auto accident. three teenage girls skipped out of school and crashed their pickup into a large tree.

I was pretty tramatized for awhile. I was first one on scene, and was brand new with little EMS experiance or training. WOW what a difference 18 years makes.

blitzline
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face

My pager went off at almost 430 in the morning and I remember how I was instantly awake, heart pounding. It was only a few blocks from my house. I remember all the sights and sounds and smells of fire. It ended up being a fatal 2 alarm in a duplex with the victim on the 1st floor. The occupant was a COPD patient on O2 who still liked his cigarettes, you can probably figure out how that one started. It was the first time I had seen an untimely death. Me and my FFI school partner ended up helping the paid guys with mop up on the fire floor next to tarp covering the body. Kinda eerie, but still, very exciting.

ffhale
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

hello all,
    im a 16 year old australian victorian guy, and have been in a juniours program for about 2 years, but we were not allowed to turn out,

whenb i became an active member @ 16 years of age my fires turn out was a MVA - a two car head on, in 1 car to elderly ladies ( both of which were both fine) and in the other car, a mum and a babie, the babie got thrown out of the car and across the road ( lucky no cars were coming) and that was rushed off by a ambulance, and the mum was traped in the car, a rescue team was sent in, who set up incase the car lit up, and then cut the car open, and got the mum out, a ir ambulance landed and took her away, but for me most of the night was directing traffic back, or helping out up on the 'front line' . the one thing that did amase me, was how many people, took it out on the volenteer, for being 'misconvienced' aso that was my first call, and i have attended a few since then, most grass fires or MVA's , the one thing being a vollie tells you is, never take anything for granted, one minite you can be fine, and the next minite gone.

wana email me or anything, talk about experences, send a message to - travis_d_1984@hotmail.com

- Travis

think about this quote...

'Heros are People in a situation that do extraordanory things, so what do you call the people that run into the situation?'

Fire/Rescue43
    Firehouse.com Guest

First call, man thats been 16 years ago. It was a fatal auto accidnet, as I remeber the car hit a utility pole, the passanger was partial decapitated and the driver was flown out by Med Evac. I couldn't help with the extrication or patient care but I felt I was watching something important happening.

A strange fact is that my future wife was at the same call, it was also her first call as a new EMT on the local ambulance squad.

Stay safe

Exclamation

A JOB! (and that's just about how I looked when I heard a working fire transmitted. Granted, I didn't have gear at the time, and had to use spare gear off the second due engine from my house (wasn't quick enough for 1st due), but it was awesome! My insurance cleard the same morning for me to ride the trucks as a member. I swear, i was glowing for days! No, i wasn't on the nozzle, or first or hek, even second line, but i helped out as i always do, in whatever capacity is needed, and felt like i accomplished something.

Forum Member

First official act? Waterball fight on 4th of July.

My team won.
    General McAuliffe said it best, "Nuts".

My first call was a EMS call to a man having sezures. When I got there he had gone into full arrest. We started CPR and hooked him up to an AED. Shocked him once before the med unit arived, and with the magic of drugs he had a heart beat when we loaded him in the med unit.

He made a full recovery and frequint's the station to this day.

I would have not been able to ask for a better outcome than what happened. Now I know that I can make a difference.
    George Phillips FF318
    Hickory Flat Volunteer Fire Dept.
    Cherokee County
    Company 3

My first call was a Dryer Fire. I had just started and in my first month of probationary period. I wasn't expecting to go in, and I was on the rescue comapny. When I steped off the truck the Chief says get packed up. Well when I went in the attack crew had the fire out but the place was full of smoke. If I had any doubts about joining the brotherhood they vanished then, Iwas hooked from that day on and would not change it for anything in the world.

Good post Chief:

My first call with my first fire company. Phillipsburg, NJ - Warren Chemical Engine.
    8 1/2 years ago. "My Place Family Restourant" Fire. Lots of smoke, little damage to kitchen area.

What memories!
    ideas expressed & posted in the forum(s) are my own.

Head-on MVA, two cars. A woman fell asleep at the wheel and crossd the yellow and hit a friend of my wife. The guy had tried to pull away but a guard rail wouldn't let him. The woman was air cared to Ohio but the man was taken to local hospital and later died. It was a lousy situation because two years ago our department didn't have any extrication gear even though 75% of our runs are MVA's. However, we are now set up to handle pretty much anything.
    Grant Davis
    Improvise,Adapt,Overcome

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

My first working fire I remember well....I spent most of my first year missing most of the more exciting calls because I hadn't "earned" my pager yet. We were always pretty short on equipment back then and you had to prove yourself for a few months before the the chief would pull some inactive member's pager so you could have it. So anyway, shortly after I got my pager, we get called one Saturday night to a small airstrip/crop dusting operation. Small hangar with attached office, fully involved...I could see the flames when I left my driveway. (I lived not far from there at the time and beat the engines to the scene). I remember a gas pump right in front of the office taking lots of radiant heat and I was real concerned about it at the time. My captain was right behind me, though..."C'mon, get in there!" "Hey, cap, there's a gas pump right there!" "Yeah, I see it, get in there!" What a rush.......
    and I agree, even after 12 years and hundreds and hundreds of calls later, I can still recall the smallest details of most of the "big ones".....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

My first call was an MVA in which a drunk decided to take a short cut through the tree tops. That was 7 years ago and I have been loving it ever since!
    Begin with the end in mind.

Be safe out there!!

My first call was 3 years ago. A three car accident but the two that hit first hit in the opposite lanes with the impact on the passagers side then the third car slides in
    we had the HP,sheriff,city,2 helicopters ,and 3 ambulances they also paged
    for another rescue unit from another county in all the years I was just a chaser to see what was going on this was the worst I had seen You all be safe

Forum Member

the first time i went on a call i was 2 weeiks old
    first offical call was a ems run as a jr. that was a doa 13yr. old that had cistic fibros
    2197 10-8
    stay safe and have fun
    2197 10-8<br />stay safe have fun stay healthy<br />
    nc firefighter/emt-d
    RFB-FTM

My frist call was a MVA with a man in a new camero hit a concrete bridge head on doing 130 miles a hour running from the cops this was not a very good frist call.The man was thrown from his car and hit the other side of the bridge head on don't need to say no more anyone who has been to MVP no's it wasn't a good site.

My first alarm was an apartment fire, ground floor in the not so good part of town. When I drove up, the first team was making entry and I did not know what to do. I spent most of my time standing next to a cop. That was the night I learned that new guys roll hose and repack the truck.

my first run was a reported sturcture fire. It was a bitter cold jan. morning. When i heard reported fire, i literalty jumped out of my bed, grabbed my keys...was in such a hurry to get there, i tripped over my own 2 feet, fell down the hallways, woke my parents up..(they werent to happy about that)I got in the car...flew the the station..came in, ran to the engine, that was full so i ran to the truck...they were pulling out as i went get on..I was stuck riding he squad. we got there it was a furnace problem. I didnt get to do anything, but it was great being able to run my first call
    stay safe...
    biv

MVA with injuries was my first run. It'll be ten years ago this coming December.
    JMK271
    These opinions are my own and not those of the department in which I serve.

Forum Member

O.K. though my first call wasn't all that interesting I feel I have you beat.

I had just gotten off work and got home.
    And wouldn't you know it we were toned out just as I sat down and I was right back at work where I had just left for a gasoline spill in the parking lot.
    Proud to be IACOJ Illinois Chapter--Deemed "Crustworthy" Jan, 2003

A car fire.The owner of said car didnt want to spend the 200 bucks to have the dealer put air in his 78 T-Bird so what the hell right?Do it yourself .We get on scene and cant find the driver.Not in the car not anywhere near the car.So we start lookin and askin where can he be when we find him about 2 1/2 blocks away!
    He stated he was afriad of fire! And when the car went up he threw her in park and bailed at about 15 mph.He was fine but, he wouldnt even look or go near his car! The cause was faulty wiring to the AC that this guy jury rigged.Stay safe

Dryer fire in local condo development. Got to the station 1st had engine on the "ramp" when others got there.We take off going like a bat outta hell and get there in 2 min. and the older guys who don't come to the meetings often said "WHO the hell is that guy?! and HOW in the hell did he learn to drive like that?" They didn't realize that i drive truck for a living and the skills just kinda cross over!

First structure out:
    At a meeting already,tone out for structure, 08 miles out of town. Roll in with the tanker, couldn't get within 100 yards w/o bunkers due to radiant. BIG stone home (3 story, with attached garage) Animals and EMU's running everywhere. Now, EMU's are a flightless, ostrich-like bird---not a different type of medic

Family member (teen aged kid) comes running by me as am taking a knee after going through two tanks, and starts yelling at me "what happened, what happened, Omigod!"
    ---Still remember that look on his face.
    Still remember thinking that we must have missed someone inside, and the LT reading my mind telling me we didn't....
    Turns out it started from a golf cart battery charger that fried in the garage.

Tell ME I didn't get an AWESOME first time out with the boys!

FF for life!!!!!!!
    Oklahoma Bound!

My first fire was a small garage fire. I remember it well because after the call I was told that I was smiling when I arrived on scene and that was not allowed.

Thread Information