My first actual fire was an Adult book store taxpayer. The fire started in the book store with heavy smoke and heat damage to the adjacant stores. I wasn't and still haven't been to this day havent actively been operating on an attack line, however at the book store I was in the exposure with a lot of heat. If you are looking for a fire where I was actively involved in fighting a fire sorry I haven't been there but this was my first fire.

Forum Member

kind of funny the way things turn out
    Last edited by .; 01-25-2011 at 02:11 AM.

Forum Member

My first call was almost 9 years ago. It was my first night on the department and I was 15 at the time. A guy doused his wife with gasoline and threatened to set her on fire. He held her hostage in the front yard for about 3 hours before giving up. Next night some genius decided to set a 20 ft. high pile of railroad ties on fire next to the train yard, that job sucked!

Forum Member

wow...old thread ressurrected....

My first job was a working structure fire at a comedy club (which I had actually been to a couple months before?)......I rode along with one of the old timers to the scene, then spent the night changing air bottles and babysitting the portable ponds...boy was I wet and cold by the end!

Forum Member

My first call was a barn fire. I ended up making entry to open up some horse stalls and let some mares and one stud out. The stud horse almost ran my partner over. It was awesome. Caused by spontaneous combustion of some alfalfa hay in the loft. Total loss, and our judgement was criticized by our company officer, but we saved some hosses!! The plus was the farmer was really happy, and it did wonders for our PR.

MembersZone Subscriber

This thread is so old, it's new. I wonder how many of the posters are still around here on the forum...

I think my first call as an actual member of a fire department was a "smoke in the building" at a big farmhouse. About 25 years later the same house, now abandoned, burned to the ground.

Before that I'd run a couple of grass fire calls with my old hometown FD, but I was never a member there.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

Sept. 21, 1991. An odor of smoke from a furnace. We were all in town selling pork chops as a fundraiser for the firefighters' association at our local festival when the call came in, so we made QUITE a scene scrambling for the trucks. After that, I was beyond hooked.
    Last edited by EastKyFF; 01-25-2011 at 10:58 AM.
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Forum Member

Mutual aid on an restored Stone house with wood roof and internal framing. Eventually turned out to be caused by an electrical fire. I showed up at the station with my father and found the gear I had been assigned was gone. So I just hopped on a truck and showed up anyway. So I got to be our pump operator's gopher. I definitely was not dressed appropriately for that night. It was maybe 5 degrees and I was wearing a pair of blue jeans, a t-shirt, long sleeve flannel shirt, my insulated work coat, a pair of wool socks, steel-toed work boots, a single pair of cotton knit gloves under leather work gloves, and a wool stocking cap. I learned many things that night that I will never forget. Like always have more than one pair of gloves, in the winter time wear some sort of sweat wicking under layer, always know what your neighboring departments use for hose coupling and carry more adapters than you think you'll need, make sure only one backer for a truck and make certain that person backing is in direct visual AND verbal communication with the driver. One neighboring department uses storz and didn't carry any adapters for hooking in with anyone elses equipment. We were the only department with the adapters to allow them to integrate with the other departments on scene. It was extremely amusing. The original department to respond showed up thought they could handle the fire by themselves and knocked the fire down to where they could attempt a interior attack and finish it off. They could an entry team together and were about to go in when they run out of water trying to prevent the adjacent garage from the catching. So they called for mutual aid from just the previously mentioned department that uses storz. Neither of these departments have a portable tank but the storz department had a tender. So the original department decides maybe they should pull out and go refill their trucks and in the mean time the storz department could fight the fire. My chief is hearing all of this stuff on the radio so he decides to call the chief of the original department who is ICing the whole incident and tells him exactly what resources he has available and tells him that if he wants them on scene he needs to tell dispatch to request our mutual aid. So when we got their the original department's trucks hadn't gotten back from refilling, but their chief was still on scene commanding the storz departments men and trucks. We immediately setup our portable tank and took charge of coordinating a tender relay, and got everybody's trucks integrated and got the fire put out. But by that time the building was a complete loss with just the four walls still standing. Needless to say the father of the homeowner, who happened to live closer to the road on the say piece of property was extremely irate; especially since the original department had just taken delivery and placed in service a brand new 1000 gallon pumper that had the proper adapters to allow them to work hook-up to the the storz department. I later found out that the reason my gear was not at the station was because the person previously assigned it had just been recently terminated from the department for inactivity had decided to come and get the gear and use it to barge their way on scenes as a rogue firefighter.

Forum Member

Well it's been 30 years.

I think it was a fire alarm.

Forum Member

In the training company, a huge house fire. I think it was a 4 alarm? There were at least 12 companies there. I ran with the tanker, drafting water. It was great. Learned a ton

As an active interior, a barn fire. Not huge, but I was loving it. Until 6 hours later during overhaul, lol.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool 1st Call As A Volunteer

My 1st call as a Volunteer was a T/C; Tractor Trailer rollever, HazMat, Driver needed to be extricated and it was on a busy freeway during going home traffic.

1st call as a Paid-Call FF was a CPR; initial Medic Ambulance went O/S with engine problems, second went O/S with a flat tire and the Ambulance that actually made it to the scene was well over 1 1/2 hours.

1st call as Career I can not recall.....
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Forum Member

My first run was a motorcycle down on a major freeway. The biker lost control and drove through a barbwire fence off the side of the freeway. Just finished my fire academy and was currently enrolled into my EMT class. The patient was in PEA and and it was called on scene. I payed attention to the trauma portion of my class a little more after that eye opener.

Forum Member

My first call was a house fire with a woman trapped. By the time we got there the house was already heavily involved. The husband had to be arrested for impeding our rescue attempts. Anyway, we lost the house and the woman, the husband was investigated for arson and possible muder, but they did a crappy job on the investigation and couldn't build a strong enough case. The husband was aquitted.

That was the first time I had ever seen a burned body, I'll never forget it either. I would never have known there was a body on what was left of the bed had I not scene her teeth between her lips.
    Last edited by firefightinirish217; 01-26-2011 at 09:26 PM.

Forum Member

My "First" call was when I was doing a fire explorer program back in HS 13 years ago. We where given a pile of lumber to burn out in the parking lot of our HS and we where lucky to have a 2 hour block class for our "Career Devl course". We started burning the rather large pile of lumber, all suited up in turnout gear... and the wind shifted. It blew the smoke directly into the schools HVAC system and triggered the alarm system. We where outside and had no clue but as we just finished extinguishing the fire and about to stretch out hose 1500 students start pouring out the doors. Of course they see us and didn't know we where not real fireman and the smell of smoke was everywhere so they all where worried. It was a little whoops but we sure had a great time!

My first real call on the dept was to a barn fire of a dog breeder. Total loss because they had spread sawdust 2-3 inches thick through the whole barn for the dog kennels and then heated it with a wood stove. 3 alarm fire and lost a lot of dogs that night and a few where rescued but not pretty. A second exposure started going up about 40 yards away and the house and oil tanks about 50 yards away all showed heat damage but thankfully where saved.

Forum Member

My first was an industrial accident at a local lumber mill. An employee was driving a jeep and met a huge Latourneau loader (similiar to pic). He lost that battle. We had to remain on scene for 2hrs waiting for the coroner to investigate before we could extricate the body.

My wise and profound comments and opinions are mine alone and are in no way associated with any other individual or group.

Forum Member

My first call was a MVA with some minor injurys. I was on the second truck so all I did was direct some traffic

Forum Member

My first call was our departments first call, we'd had our truck for just a few days.Fortunately we all got trained while waiting for the truck to arrive.
    The call was a mobile home fire. As we pulled in the driveway, a man met us shouting, let it burn, it'll be less to clean up. The structure was 50% involved, but we knocked it back, put it out. Later we found the body of his murdered roommate.
    That was 19 years ago, but I remember it like it was yesterday.

Forum Member

1994 1st payed call ARFF Cesna 180 took out some taxie way signs

2002 1st Volunteer garage Fire, saved the garage

2004 1 st EMS call DOA little old lady
    2nd EMS water truck roll over DOA

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by treeguy View Post
    My first call was our departments first call, we'd had our truck for just a few days.Fortunately we all got trained while waiting for the truck to arrive.
    The call was a mobile home fire. As we pulled in the driveway, a man met us shouting, let it burn, it'll be less to clean up. The structure was 50% involved, but we knocked it back, put it out. Later we found the body of his murdered roommate.
    That was 19 years ago, but I remember it like it was yesterday.
    Never good when they say let it burn... I doubt your ever going to forget that one.

Forum Member
    On the flatest land around! (In central Il.)

My first call was a public assist. I got to help lift a guy off the chair he was in and put him in bed. He used to be a brother of our dept. So compaired to some of your storys, mine is quite boring.

MembersZone Subscriber

My first call was a chimney fire in 5 degree windy weather. I got to stand outside and watch the chimney spout off like the fourth of july.

It was so cold, when I got back home I could not get in the garage because the battery in the door opener was dead from the cold. I had bunked up in my pj s and did not have my house key. I drove around for a half hour with my door opener under the heater then went back home, got the garage door open.

Lessons learned: Never bunk in pj s, always take a house key, and change that battery.
    A coward stands by and watches wrongs committed without saying a word...Any opinions expressed are purely my own and not necessarily reflective of the views of my former departments

Forum Member

My first call was probably the biggest call I had ever been on. I have been a member for 22 years.

It was a lightning strike to the bell in a tower of an old church, recently converted to a luxury concert hall. They bring in classical talent from all over the world.

My wife and child were honking at me from the car during a downpour. I thought they needed an umbrella. She said the concert hall was on fire. I drove straight to the concert hall only to find that no one was there and the tower was completely engulfed. We drove straight to the fire station and my wife went to call 911. About a minute later the sirens sounded and I was dressed and out the door with the tanker. I arrived first and as soon as I had hit the tower with water, it collapsed. I quickly dropped my helmet shield, but still felt the heat blast from the tower crashing. Instantly my brain says "What did I get myself into?" I was scared. Turns out we had five mutual aid departments respond. Later one of the more experienced departments slapped my shoulder and asked if I was ready to get on the roof. They shoved me up the steep angled roof and just as I got the roof ladder hooked, I slipped and rolled down to the edge where the same FF caught me before I tumbled over the side. He was my beer distributor and said as he caught me, "Who do you love." I said "Miller Beer." We then proceeded to cut a hole in the roof to vent the heat and smoke. After a short while we realized the ground crews had been trying to get a hold of us. We couldn't see, but the roof was sagging pretty badly. When command tells you to come down, you come down. I was resting and then the interior attack was beginning and the crew needed to know the layout of the interior. I was sitting in the rest area and was I grabbed again and was standing just inside the smokey lower entrance giving layout directions, when I got my first strong whiff of smoke inhalation. I was shocked. My lungs hurt terribly. I had to ask the ambulance ems crews to give me some oxygen. My lungs immediately felt better. (We now have oxygen ready at every fire.)

Lines were everywhere and crowds too. Media, etc.

Of course there have been big fires since, but not quite like that one. I was a 35 year old rookie then and got a huge shot of experience right away. So many mistakes and I learned to have a lot of respect for fire and smoke that day. Maybe it was good that I had that as my first fire. I can never forget standing in front of the building watching the tower fully involved and roaring and my wife and baby boy watching wide eyed and no one else around. I drove straight to the fire instead of the station. What a rookie ding dong I was, but I was still the first FF on scene. The structure was saved.

My first one was one I will never forget

Forum Member

as the son of a former chief i sat in the truck and watched many fires. the first one was a structure and sat there watch the windows all blow out . as a jr.(dad still chief). an accident on the interstate i helped extricate a friend from high school and her father. I think that cemented my path as a FF/EMT.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Exclamation Well...........

7am, Saturday, Oct. 9th, 1958. We were 2nd due on a reported house Fire. Saw the Smoke as we pulled out of our station. 2.5 story ballon Frame. well involved, Someone put Gasoline in the Kerosene heater.......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

The first call I was on was when we were doing storm clean-up (I wasn't even a member, but father was so of course I got involved). They were paged to a farm with serious storm damage with a propane tank that got rolled over and was leaking. The farm was tore apart. Now in two years I've been on two tornadoes and a third system go directly over.

Thread Information