Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

the first time i went on a call i was 2 weeiks old
    first offical call was a ems run as a jr. that was a doa 13yr. old that had cistic fibros
    2197 10-8
    stay safe and have fun
    2197 10-8<br />stay safe have fun stay healthy<br />
    nc firefighter/emt-d
    RFB-FTM

My frist call was a MVA with a man in a new camero hit a concrete bridge head on doing 130 miles a hour running from the cops this was not a very good frist call.The man was thrown from his car and hit the other side of the bridge head on don't need to say no more anyone who has been to MVP no's it wasn't a good site.

My first alarm was an apartment fire, ground floor in the not so good part of town. When I drove up, the first team was making entry and I did not know what to do. I spent most of my time standing next to a cop. That was the night I learned that new guys roll hose and repack the truck.

my first run was a reported sturcture fire. It was a bitter cold jan. morning. When i heard reported fire, i literalty jumped out of my bed, grabbed my keys...was in such a hurry to get there, i tripped over my own 2 feet, fell down the hallways, woke my parents up..(they werent to happy about that)I got in the car...flew the the station..came in, ran to the engine, that was full so i ran to the truck...they were pulling out as i went get on..I was stuck riding he squad. we got there it was a furnace problem. I didnt get to do anything, but it was great being able to run my first call
    stay safe...
    biv

MVA with injuries was my first run. It'll be ten years ago this coming December.
    JMK271
    These opinions are my own and not those of the department in which I serve.

Forum Member

O.K. though my first call wasn't all that interesting I feel I have you beat.

I had just gotten off work and got home.
    And wouldn't you know it we were toned out just as I sat down and I was right back at work where I had just left for a gasoline spill in the parking lot.
    Proud to be IACOJ Illinois Chapter--Deemed "Crustworthy" Jan, 2003

A car fire.The owner of said car didnt want to spend the 200 bucks to have the dealer put air in his 78 T-Bird so what the hell right?Do it yourself .We get on scene and cant find the driver.Not in the car not anywhere near the car.So we start lookin and askin where can he be when we find him about 2 1/2 blocks away!
    He stated he was afriad of fire! And when the car went up he threw her in park and bailed at about 15 mph.He was fine but, he wouldnt even look or go near his car! The cause was faulty wiring to the AC that this guy jury rigged.Stay safe

Dryer fire in local condo development. Got to the station 1st had engine on the "ramp" when others got there.We take off going like a bat outta hell and get there in 2 min. and the older guys who don't come to the meetings often said "WHO the hell is that guy?! and HOW in the hell did he learn to drive like that?" They didn't realize that i drive truck for a living and the skills just kinda cross over!

First structure out:
    At a meeting already,tone out for structure, 08 miles out of town. Roll in with the tanker, couldn't get within 100 yards w/o bunkers due to radiant. BIG stone home (3 story, with attached garage) Animals and EMU's running everywhere. Now, EMU's are a flightless, ostrich-like bird---not a different type of medic

Family member (teen aged kid) comes running by me as am taking a knee after going through two tanks, and starts yelling at me "what happened, what happened, Omigod!"
    ---Still remember that look on his face.
    Still remember thinking that we must have missed someone inside, and the LT reading my mind telling me we didn't....
    Turns out it started from a golf cart battery charger that fried in the garage.

Tell ME I didn't get an AWESOME first time out with the boys!

FF for life!!!!!!!
    Oklahoma Bound!

My first fire was a small garage fire. I remember it well because after the call I was told that I was smiling when I arrived on scene and that was not allowed.

My first actual fire was an Adult book store taxpayer. The fire started in the book store with heavy smoke and heat damage to the adjacant stores. I wasn't and still haven't been to this day havent actively been operating on an attack line, however at the book store I was in the exposure with a lot of heat. If you are looking for a fire where I was actively involved in fighting a fire sorry I haven't been there but this was my first fire.

Forum Member

kind of funny the way things turn out
    Last edited by .; 01-25-2011 at 01:11 AM.

My first call was almost 9 years ago. It was my first night on the department and I was 15 at the time. A guy doused his wife with gasoline and threatened to set her on fire. He held her hostage in the front yard for about 3 hours before giving up. Next night some genius decided to set a 20 ft. high pile of railroad ties on fire next to the train yard, that job sucked!

wow...old thread ressurrected....

My first job was a working structure fire at a comedy club (which I had actually been to a couple months before?)......I rode along with one of the old timers to the scene, then spent the night changing air bottles and babysitting the portable ponds...boy was I wet and cold by the end!

Forum Member

My first call was a barn fire. I ended up making entry to open up some horse stalls and let some mares and one stud out. The stud horse almost ran my partner over. It was awesome. Caused by spontaneous combustion of some alfalfa hay in the loft. Total loss, and our judgement was criticized by our company officer, but we saved some hosses!! The plus was the farmer was really happy, and it did wonders for our PR.

This thread is so old, it's new. I wonder how many of the posters are still around here on the forum...

I think my first call as an actual member of a fire department was a "smoke in the building" at a big farmhouse. About 25 years later the same house, now abandoned, burned to the ground.

Before that I'd run a couple of grass fire calls with my old hometown FD, but I was never a member there.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Sept. 21, 1991. An odor of smoke from a furnace. We were all in town selling pork chops as a fundraiser for the firefighters' association at our local festival when the call came in, so we made QUITE a scene scrambling for the trucks. After that, I was beyond hooked.
    Last edited by EastKyFF; 01-25-2011 at 09:58 AM.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.Ē
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Forum Member

Mutual aid on an restored Stone house with wood roof and internal framing. Eventually turned out to be caused by an electrical fire. I showed up at the station with my father and found the gear I had been assigned was gone. So I just hopped on a truck and showed up anyway. So I got to be our pump operator's gopher. I definitely was not dressed appropriately for that night. It was maybe 5 degrees and I was wearing a pair of blue jeans, a t-shirt, long sleeve flannel shirt, my insulated work coat, a pair of wool socks, steel-toed work boots, a single pair of cotton knit gloves under leather work gloves, and a wool stocking cap. I learned many things that night that I will never forget. Like always have more than one pair of gloves, in the winter time wear some sort of sweat wicking under layer, always know what your neighboring departments use for hose coupling and carry more adapters than you think you'll need, make sure only one backer for a truck and make certain that person backing is in direct visual AND verbal communication with the driver. One neighboring department uses storz and didn't carry any adapters for hooking in with anyone elses equipment. We were the only department with the adapters to allow them to integrate with the other departments on scene. It was extremely amusing. The original department to respond showed up thought they could handle the fire by themselves and knocked the fire down to where they could attempt a interior attack and finish it off. They could an entry team together and were about to go in when they run out of water trying to prevent the adjacent garage from the catching. So they called for mutual aid from just the previously mentioned department that uses storz. Neither of these departments have a portable tank but the storz department had a tender. So the original department decides maybe they should pull out and go refill their trucks and in the mean time the storz department could fight the fire. My chief is hearing all of this stuff on the radio so he decides to call the chief of the original department who is ICing the whole incident and tells him exactly what resources he has available and tells him that if he wants them on scene he needs to tell dispatch to request our mutual aid. So when we got their the original department's trucks hadn't gotten back from refilling, but their chief was still on scene commanding the storz departments men and trucks. We immediately setup our portable tank and took charge of coordinating a tender relay, and got everybody's trucks integrated and got the fire put out. But by that time the building was a complete loss with just the four walls still standing. Needless to say the father of the homeowner, who happened to live closer to the road on the say piece of property was extremely irate; especially since the original department had just taken delivery and placed in service a brand new 1000 gallon pumper that had the proper adapters to allow them to work hook-up to the the storz department. I later found out that the reason my gear was not at the station was because the person previously assigned it had just been recently terminated from the department for inactivity had decided to come and get the gear and use it to barge their way on scenes as a rogue firefighter.

Forum Member

Well it's been 30 years.

I think it was a fire alarm.

In the training company, a huge house fire. I think it was a 4 alarm? There were at least 12 companies there. I ran with the tanker, drafting water. It was great. Learned a ton

As an active interior, a barn fire. Not huge, but I was loving it. Until 6 hours later during overhaul, lol.

Thread Information