DFD132
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry Pain in the @#$ at the firehall!!

How many people have those people at the firehall who make sure to get into your business. It seems around my firehall all people care about is my personal life is this like every firehall. This firehall is going to drive me to drink!!!!

Adze
    Firehouse.com Guest

Oh yeah...we definately have those guys...they are also the worst ones at spreading around rumors (mostly false)...

Engine69
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

You don't need to look as far as the firehall... there are a few of those types right here on this forum!

Exp.chief51
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Everybody's got 'em, always have, always will...

smokeeater51
    Firehouse.com Guest

There are some people on my department that I know some pretty personal things about, and those are the people who don't try to keep their lives a secret. There are also people who come to the station, do their job and go home, and that's all I know of them. And to be honest, when it comes to some people, that's all I care to know. Someone once told me, "don't give them the ammunition they need to shoot at you with". If you don't want stuff known, keep a low profile. Keep home life at home, etc. Like was said before, it's happening EVERYWHERE, always has, always will.

------------------
    Take care, stay safe, & stay low!

Lt. Spinney

ChiefMcD
    Firehouse.com Guest

WE should come up with a nickname for them.

DFD132
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

Smokeeater51 I took your advice your so right I have been bringing my personal life down to the hall. I'm going to stop talking all together maybe this will work better. It really pee's me off to sit and hear about my personal life all the time. It's always what I buy,where I'm going,Why I may be mad about something,real stupid stuff. I never ever pick on them for the stuff they do maybe I should quit. DFD132

smokeeater51
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

No need to quit, you won't be happy. There is always a way to deal with the petty crap that goes on at the station, unless your upper echelon is participating in the game too. Maybe they are just doing it to get a rise out of you. Don't let your emotions come out. Once they see that it's not getting to you it won't be fun for them anymore, and they'll leave you alone. Give it some time, see what happens, and then decide your next course of action.

------------------
    Take care, stay safe, & stay low!

Lt. Spinney

Les.H
    Firehouse.com Guest

If you look close into the background of the said person, you will normally find that they do this everywhere else as well. It's not just with you, but they take it with them into all sections of their lives. You get use to the different ways to handle them after a while and we have one on our unit. A real pain in the butt.

------------------
    Kindest regards & keep safe,

Sprinkle (UK)
    http://www.crowthorneinfo.co.uk

Engine58
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

Yea, I hear ya...I'm in the same situation....a couple nights a week when I have the time I like to go down the building and sit and relax and wait for a call or 2 to come in..But all it ever is is YOU HEAR WHAT HE SAID? YOU HEAR WHAT HAPPENED TO THIS ONE??/ Now words are getting put in my mouth and I'm looking like the bad guy in this newer situation..Which I havent even been down the building in like 2 weeks I only came down for a few calls and i leave when we get back....And whenever something bad happens this one person is always quick to blame this other person who barely EVER comes around cause of school & work...It amazes me how people get into other peoples business and it just ****es me off...But it seems I stay away and stil cant get away from it all..ohwell.....what can ya do..i'm happy with what I do and where I do it..so they wont make me quit..I just will limit my # of Calls I respond to thats all simple as that..

------------------
    Andrew
    South Amboy, New Jersey
    Explorer Engine 6 So. Amboy Fire Dept & Cadet Morgan FAS
    "EMTS DON'T DIE THEY JUST STABILIZE"

KeithA8
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

Hey DFD,
    It's me again. Did you ever wonder why people pick on you? It's because you drive an old police car and you're crying about how your blue light isn't big enough and you should have a siren. That's why people pick on you. Look in the mirror, you might see that pain in the @$$.
    For those of you reading this and wondering what the heck I'm talking about - just read the forum in this section titled "Blue Light's" by the same author. The word Stem Whacker might come to mind.
    DFD - Have a nice day.

------------------
    IAFF Local 2033, Love this job! Hate SCABS!

Deputy Dog Dashwood
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

Ive got one guy on my department that pipes up adn it bugs alot of other fire fighters from time to time, if he would keep his mouth shut some times, we would be happy. Oh well if we didn't have these people we wouldn't have any thing to talk about
    FYT FYR FORVEVER

SFDE12
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

DFD132, welcome to the fire service! I guess you must be new due to the fact you actually seem bothered, or surprised by this. It's like that at every fire house and once a bigger "slapper" joins the'll pick on him more. Also crying about lights and sirens only fuels these guy to pry more.

DFD132
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

SFDE12 and KeithA8 you both can lick B---s cause I've been in the fire service for 10 years, I'm a 1st Lieut. As far as my Bluelight conplaining, I'm not the only one. Again there you guys go again sniffing eachothers fingers. Do me and all of us Real fireman us Volunteer's a favor and stop posting. Bluelight's are not the reason for me joining it's dedication, leadership something you career guys don't have cause your to busy waiting for a check. I ONLY MEAN THE ABOVE SAID TO THESE TWO CAREER WINDOWLICKERs, AND NOT TO THE HARDWORKING DEDICATED CAREER FIREMAN GODBLESS ALL OF YOU!! Smokeeater51 and engine58 thank you.

Eng522ine
    Firehouse.com Guest

DFD... We have a TON of the rumor lovers around here. It's actually to the point where we've even jokingly assigned "ranks" to people in the "Rumor Mill." Honestly though, if you wanna have some fun with them, just mention something (true or untrue) about one of them in front of another one and see how far fetched it is when it comes back to you. We have one guy on that starts at least 1 rumor a day (some of which are pretty cruel), so a few of us decided to have some "fun" with the guy. It was mentioned that his car was seen at the firehouse at 3am along with the car of a younger attractive female member (we got her approval on this first). Two days later, his wife came in asking who knew anything about him filing for a divorce! All this within 48 hours! If only departmental memos got around that quick. I know this seems like a petty game but, hell, it was fun seeing him on the receiving end of a rumor for once.

Jake295885
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Dude what's wrong? Waiting on a paycheck? Let me guess a few things about you. Your a frustrated young single male who can't find or hold on to a decent job. Women will not date you, people make fun of you, so you act out your fantasy's at the volunteer fire house. Large blue lamps mounted a top of the police car look alike. Numerious antenna's. Security guard employment. The FBI has a profile on guys like this. They are bed wetters,
    crual to animals,
    And set fires.

Dude get some help real soon. Jake

mongofire_99
    Firehouse.com Guest

I'm going to be blunt, so if you wear your feelings on your shoulders, stop reading now.

You have been warned...

This happens everywhere in every occupation and volunteer organization. How many jobs have you had?

If this bothers you enough to post it here, you will never last in law enforcement much less around the fire station. And you'll just be a bitter old pain in the @#$ if you do.

Deal with it, get over it and move on or find a new hobby and line of work before you go nuts and hurt somebody.

Dr. Law
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

A ten-year 1st Lt. who cannot spell, reason, makes obscene name-calling comebacks, and who does not know how to deal with personnel in the office?

That's scary! Also real embarrassing to the rest of us who care about our public presence on posts such as these which are viewed world-wide.

Are you sure you are not lying to us about that 1st Lt. and 10-years working thing?

Just too scary!

FFTrainer
    Firehouse.com Guest

Ahhh, the sounds of kids bickering on a play ground??? I haven't been in grade school in a while and I don't have any kids but I think it would sounds similar to some of these replies.

Can we not just answer a question without attacking the individual?

DFD -- Accept the fact that the people you describe are everywhere. They are not a firehall issue, an issue with these forums, they are an issue in life itself. Anytime you spend a little bit of time with the same group of people, you will see one of these types rise to the surface. I find they seem to go away if they don't get the satisfaction of irritating the sh&t out of you. Remember the water off of a ducks back theory and I bet they go bother someone else.

However if you react like you did in one of the replies you posted here, you will be ridiculed forever. Let it go, laugh it off and deal with it. It appears you may need to grow a slightly tougher skin to do this, but don't quit or you will definitely be the one who loses and they will get the last laugh!

Stay Safe!

canman
    Firehouse.com Guest

I usually ignore them, I'll work with them on scene and at drills but after that give them the cold shoulder. They never ask or try to find out my bussinees again, or the point blank approach. Tell them if it's not fire related you don't want to talk about it end of story and walk away. Sooner or later these old bitties will get the message and leave you alone.

fc80chief
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

kiethA8

Please define the word "SCABS". Also I would like to know if you are referring to the "Volunteer" segment of the service. If you are, I would like to refer you to the career vs volunteer post found in this forum.

[This message has been edited by fc80chief (edited 04-11-2001).]

SmokeEater31
    Firehouse.com Guest

I am going to throw my .02 worth in. It may ****** people off, BUT, I am going to forge straight ahead.

FFTrainer

YOU HIT IT RIGHT ON THE HEAD.

1st LT. DFD
    Let me test the waters here and hopefully not step on too many toes.
    First my brother, you need to develop the thick skin that is needed by officers. You have to remember that unfortunately when we achieve positions of responsibility then we become more of a topic to others.
    There is NO way to change it!! DON'T TRY, you'll just go absolutely INSANE! You let people get to you too easy. How can I say that without even knowing you? Well, I see how you responded to the attacks on you. Was it proper? I don't feel it was a proper way to give you "constructive criticism", but it is something that you can expect if you put something on the forum. Lt., you HAVE to remember, we are a FAMILY. ALL families fight from time to time, and even the closest families get on each others' nerves. Are there people at my hall that bug me? Of course. Have I been the object of discussion? MOST DEFINITELY! The whole trick was summed up in one of the other posts I saw, DON'T LET THEM SEE IT BOTHERS YOU! I am NOT saying that you should have no feelings. That would be the WORST thing that could possibly happen. I am just saying
    that you should let it go when you are around them. ESPECIALLY being an officer. You accepted the responsibility, unfortunately, you HAVE to deal with ALL the "perks". Attacking someone in return is a natural response...but you HAVE to learn to not do it in the open.
    One other thing...unless you are SERIOUS about quitting..NEVER mention it. This is weakening to you and anyone that hears it that follows you. I UNDERSTAND the feeling. HOWEVER, please take my advice..STAY AWAY FROM THAT. It hurts only to people if you do. 1). YOU and 2). the community as a whole since you would leave them one firefighter (much less an officer) short. You would be cutting off your nose to spite your face, if you will.

I hope this comes across as meant. I only want to encourage, not tear down.

For those of you who made the attack:

KeithA8

What was the purpose of tearing at a fellow firefighter in the open here? If you did not like what they posted, WHY respond, why not just IGNORE? I don't understand the point of that. We are all in this thing together. So, a fellow firefighter came to forum with something that you feel is NOT appropriate..SO WHAT? What did that hurt YOU? I have been the firefighter that has been reprimanded for such a thing. The difference? The firefighter DID NOT ATTACK ME. HE stated his views, and let it be that. Brother..you attacked.
    It was uncalled for. Be mad at me if you wish, I will NOT respond to personal attacks on me..so if you want to do it, knock yourself out. However, I feel you owe an apology to DFD. Whatever you decide.

Jake...

Again, I do not understand the personal attack. Everything I said to Keith is also for you.

This goes for all the personal attackers that have participated in trying to degrade a fellow firefighter and I just missed you.

Once again, to those I singled out..if you will feel better to tell me to F*@k OFF, then so be it, once again, I WILL NOT respond to said responses.

I would hope that everyone can see what I am trying to say.

IF NOT:
    Here it is again.

WE ARE ALL IN THIS THING TOGETHER. DOWNGRADING AND ATTACKING DOES NOOOOO GOOD!!!

Lt. I mean what I said in response to you as well.

Enough from me.

------------------
    Your Brother In The Service,
    Rob Herpel
    FF/EMT
    Vice-Pres./Asst. EMS Coordinator
    Fremont Rural Fire Department

[This message has been edited by SmokeEater31 (edited 04-15-2001).]

Emt7131
    Firehouse.com Guest

It is not just your firehall. This also happens at the one I am with. I have found that a simple it is non of your business works quite well. Hang in there and good luck.

DFD1LT
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

I want to thank you Smokeeater51 I took everything you said and really thought about it, I don't handle all my problems like I handled in the above posts, To be honest I like to have fun and kid around this is how I vent after a long day. I want to apologize to everyone in the way I acted KeithA8 let's call it truths this goes for everyone call it truths. Smokeeater51 thank you. I know in other forums I talked about bluelights trust me being a firefighter is not about using a light it is about being with friends,saving lives,fighting fires. Although you people must admit having a light is a perk. I really can care less about lightbars. DFD1LT

KeithA8
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

DFD1LT:
    Are you also DFD132? Are we kissing and making up? If so then I'm up for it. My responses realy were not attacks, they were sincere. I know this is hard to believe but it's true. And if this hurt you or ****ed you off then I'm sorry but this is what these forums are all about. You put out a topic and people respond - not always positively. This also is not a voly/career war, it's just my view. Not every topic warents a happy responce. And if people in here can't handle that then don't take part. If someone is looking for an opinion don't bash me 'cause you don't like mine. Personaly this is great entertainment for me. It cracks me up! Again DFD132 if you are now DFD1LT then I agree - lets put it behind us. And realy - Have a nice day!

SmokeEater31:
    Negativity is part of this whole forum thing. True - it sometimes gets out of hand but not every responce is going to be happy and wonderful because this too is real world and we are all entitled to our opinions. And if you disagree then great! That's why this forum is here. We are all human and have freedom of thought, so exercise that thought and respond to the forums. I don't expect everyone to agree with me. How boring would that be? So - Have a nice day!

Fc80chief:
    Scab - by definition is someone who is willing to do your job for less or free. Yes - it is often used to describe people who cross the picket line. Now I don't personaly feel all volunteers are scabs (by definition they are) but it doesn't bother me either way. What does bother me is career guys who volunteer. Lets just pretend for a minute and say you own a business. I am one of your employees. I am also a union member in your company. Now every 3 years we negotiate a contract (we argue about raises and benefits and working conditions). Then you find out that I work for your competition for free with no benefits on my time off. Do you think this would bother you? I have all the documentation on why I deserve a raise and if you don't give me one I threaten to strike. Is this hipicritical? Further more it's a profesion that is listed year after year as one of the top 10 most hazardous jobs in the world. After 30 years of working for your company and working for your compition (for free) I deside to retire because of heart disease. I take your company to a labor hearing with my union rep and prove it's a job related illness. Your company has to give me full retirement and pay my medical bills for the rest of my life and give me a cash settlement for $300,000.00. You say that you are not fully responsible because I have been (scabing) for all these years. Do you agree? Is it fair that I get away with this? Does your compition have to pay anything? NO! They got a free ride all these years. This doesen't mean that all depts. should be full time union firefighters. I don't even have anything against the volunteers. I realize that there will always be volunteer depts. I also used to be a volunteer and I did not forget where I came from. But I also have a moral responsibility to my career dept. that pays me and gives me and my family my benefits. Not all career people agree with me but this is my opinion. It's also not a fence - we can and do work together well. So this is why I hate scabs! Get it? Have a nice day!

------------------
    IAFF member, Love this job! Hate SCABS!

Thread Information