Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    firefighter26
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile Sawzall upgrading

My department is looking to upgrade our sawzall system. Right now we have a standard sawzall setup that runs off one of our generators via an extention cord reel. Just wondering if it is worth going cordless, and if so, what is the best tool for the job.

Engine69
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

DeWalt 24V cordless. Spare battery, on-board charger and AC Battery adapter.... Don't leave home without it!

firefighter26
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

DeWalt 24 volt....
    Mikita 18 volt....
    Millwalkee 18 volt....
    AC converters....

I am sure that there are a lot of tools and variations out there. Each one claims they are best.

What I am interested in, is when it comes down to the real thing, and lives are on the line, I don't care if it will be able to cut through 72 2X4's on one battery or 25 3/4" galvanized steel pipes.

When the IC calls for the recip saw, what do you grab??

Lewiston2Capt
    Firehouse.com Guest

I will put the brand in my response, take it for what you will.
    When the chief calls for a 'cip saw, I (and just about everyone else in my FD) grab a Dewalt 24V cordless saw. I feel the cordless saws are easier to use and you dont have to worry about tripping over the cord. You just have to keep the batteries charged.

------------------
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Captain
    Lewiston Fire Co. No. 2

FFTrainer
    Firehouse.com Guest

My vote is for cordless and any of the brands previously mentioned have their goods and bads it's simply a question of trying them and seeing which one has the majority of the features you are looking for.

My suggestion is check around with neighboring depts or rescue companies and see what they have. If they have a cordless see if you can try it out and also see what their justification was for choosing that specific model.

One word of advice that may be obvious but I will mention it anyway is if you do go cordless be sure to mount a charger in one of the compartments that will be hot even when the rig is off. It should be on a circuit with things like portables that are continuously charging off of your shoreline when you are in the station. This makes for the closest thing to a guarantee that you will always have a fresh battery ready to go.

FYI, I think there is also a belt pack for the Dewalt that has two additional batteries to increase your operating run time dramatically. I will try to find the info.

nhfd155
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

This is the exact combination we are looking to buy. The DeWalt 24V is a hell of a tool. But you have to get the AC/DC converter just in case.

Originally posted by Engine69:
    DeWalt 24V cordless. Spare battery, on-board charger and AC Battery adapter.... Don't leave home without it!

philip publicover
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hello Malahat:

Here on the east coast we run two corded Dewalt recip saws. The newest is a 10 amp quik change blade model with an oversized handle. We chose the corded instead of the cordless for two reasons. #1 : We do not run many extrication calls so we were concerned that we could not maintain the batteries. #2 : The cost of the 24 volt Dewalt c/w a second battery is twice the cost of purchasing the 10 amp Dewalt corded.

If you are in the same situation where you want the most bang for your buck go with the corded saw and a big supply of LAWSON FIRE-RESCUE blades.

Train Hard and Train Safe

Philip Publicover, Fire Chief
    District #1 Fire Department
    Blandford, Nova Scotia, Canada
    E-mail blandfordvfd@hotmail.com

pylonchief
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

Philip, this is from farther east than you are, we just purchased a corded Sawzall and are in the market for some blades. Did you have an article in a past issue on this topic in the Atlantic Firefighter? Where can we order some of these blades in our neck of the woods? Size and type? Tks.

Koch.Ch-3
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have a Milwaukee 18volt, it works good, but the 24volts are better.
    The most important item is the blade, we use the two sided bannana blade for wood, and it cuts the windshield like butter, that is the key.
    Remember what ever you purchase, the next week they will make a bigger and better one.

KFD-Chief-3

wtfd655
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have a recip saw, but I don't think we have ever used it...
    That being said, if you do go with a cordless saw, from everything I've heard about the 24v systems, when the battery goes, it goes with little to no warning. So make sure you have at least one or two extras, and possibly a corded saw as a backup.
    Better yet, just buy 2 corded saws, you have more reliability at 1/3 the cost.

philip publicover
    Firehouse.com Guest

Pylonchief:

Yes, that was my article in Atlantic Firefighter. E-mail me your fax number and I will send along a listing of suppliers and types of blades that worked for us. It may take me a few days but you will have it by this weekend.

Train Hard and Train Safe

Philip Publicover, Fire Chief
    District #1 Fire Department
    Blandford, Nova Scotia, Canada
    e-mail blandfordvfd@hotmail.com

PA Volunteer
    Firehouse.com Guest

For windshields, the cordless DeWalt has always done a fine job. For posts, and anything else metal, I've had much more success with our corded Milwaukee. I've found it to be much faster than the cordless. Plus, you don't have to worry about the battery. Just my own personal experience.

Catch
    Firehouse.com Guest

We've been using a Milwakee 18v cordless 'cip. Has worked great for the few times we've used it. Gets places a cord saw can't. We also conned the local auto parts store to stock heavy duty blades for it. "The Torch" I think's the brand name. But they work great as well.

Thread Information