Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    GBordas
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Your Own Personal Turnout Gear?

I have a few questions related to this topic.

I'm curious to find out how many of you have bought your own personal set of turnout gear?

Did you have to abide by your fire departments standards such as color of gear and trim style?

What was the main reason for purchasing your own set of turnout gear? Will your fire department reimburse you for expenses?

What is the size of your fire department and what is your annual budget? How much of that is set aside for the purchase turnout gear?

RdgTruckie
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

I have my own set of turnouts. I got the set about 5 years ago now. Main reason I got my own set was the size of me (6'4) I need special sizes. I can use it anywhere I run. As far as I know, if it gets damaged at a fire, the company will pay for it. As long as its NFPA approved its good.

Annual budget is 60,000. Usually buy sets in a bunch. Just used grant money to buy 15 sets.

------------------
    Stay Safe!

Neptune 33
    Firehouse.com Guest

Reading Truckie, do you run with the City Fire Department?

E-Mail me
    cnoll331@hotmail.com

WSVFD_TRAINING
    Firehouse.com Guest

I purchased my own set over a year ago. The main reason I did it was because I wanted a spare set so the set I bought is my primary set and my issued set is a backup. I'm thinking about taking the liner out of my old set and use it for wildland gear.

The only requirement my dept has is that it must be NFPA compliant.

canman
    Firehouse.com Guest

I just bought my own turnouts so I'd have a spare set when I took the dept. turnouts to the cleaners.My turnouts had to be the same as the dept. issue we get our funding through the state, my dept.has 15 members.

Engine69
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

I own my own set of bunker pants. Being a volunteer, I keep one pair in the station with the rest of my gear and have the second pair with me at home. That way, when I get called from home I dress in my bunker pants before I leave the house. That saves me putting on shoes when I leave, and taking them off again when I get at the station. I leave the other set at the station so I don't have to lug them around with me everywhere I go. If I am not home, I go directly to the station and suit up there.

I purchased these bunkers while on a previous department so they do not match the department's gear (they are PBI and the department issues nomex). They are nearing the end of their useful life so I will replace them with the same gear as the department has. I do not expect to be reimbursed for this purchase.

Bob Snyder
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

>> I'm curious to find out how many of you have bought your own personal set of turnout gear?

OK - I'm one...I have a set of company issued gear and a set of my own.

>> Did you have to abide by your fire departments standards such as color of gear and trim style?

We have no standards for color, trim style, etc. These things really serve no purpose, other than to interfere with the fire company's ability to get the best deal on what's available at the time a purchase needs to be made. As my company's equipment officer and one of the people responsible for purchasing, I can tell you that not having to be bothered with making everybody look the same is a big advantage when you're working on a tight budget.

>> What was the main reason for purchasing your own set of turnout gear?

Three reasons, really...
    1) I'm a big guy...I can't pull a temporary spare out of the gear inventory if mine is hanging somewhere soaking wet or goes out of service for repairs.
    2) I like having a set in my car and a set at the station. That way, I don't have to lug gear back & forth and there's always a set where I need one.
    3) I had the money, and I felt like it.

>> Will your fire department reimburse you for expenses?

No. The company's obligation is fulfilled by issuing one set to each person. I believe this both as a member and as the equipment officer.

>> What is the size of your fire department and what is your annual budget?

About 17 active volunteers with an annual operating budget of about $25K per year, plus in-kind support from our municipality. Gear can also be bought by our Relief Association (too much to go into to explain that here), which has an annual budget around $11K. Relief usually takes care of purchases like this for us, along with other big ticket items related to safety ahd health, such as the health insurance policies on personnel.

>> How much of that is set aside for the purchase turnout gear?

We purchase on an as-needed basis, so the turnout gear budget at any time depends on whose gear is wearing out and who joins.

dimab
    Firehouse.com Guest

I only purchased my own helmet. That is because I got used helmet, and I wanted a 1010 look instead of the new age round helemts.
    Other than that, we are issued full turnout gear, with helmet, boots and gloves. We can opt to buy new gear, as long as it adheres to NFPA.

------------------
    www.thfd.8m.com

Thread Information