Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    daysleeper47
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Residency requirements?

Hey folks, just wondering if your fire companies or departments had any residency requirement saying you have to live in the town to be a member. In the Youngstown-area, while Youngstown is paid, there are several volunteer companies and the policies differ. What are your requirements?

------------------
    Joe
    Daysleeper47
    "When the bell goes ding-ding, its time to get on the woo-woo."
    "Dusting desire - starting to learn. Walking through fire with out a burn..."
    Youngstown Fire Department

Gooch26
    Firehouse.com Guest

The company I run for here in Rimersburg says you have to live within the coverage area. Though they have let a couple members slide when they moved to just outside the area. They have since moved back in. In my area I think it's almost an even split, maybe slightly in favor of the one's with residency requirments. Myself, I don't understand why place such requirments on volunteers when just about everyone is short handed these days. The person you turn down because he or she doesn't live on the right side of a line, could have been one of your best members. Why pass up help when you need it? God bless and stay safe.
    Randall Guntrum FF/EMT

If lights, sirens and air horns do not attract the attention of a driver, he or she is too drunk to be assisted by a paint scheme.

Dalmatian90
    Firehouse.com Guest

The short answer is to join you should live or work within the area we serve and/or 7 minutes of a station. There isn't an on-going restriction, so it isn't unusual for a member who moves out of town for a few years while saving up a down payment to buy a house to still stay active, attend training, even make the occassional call.

**legal disclaimer -- that isn't the full policy inside and out! So don't sue me for saying it

daysleeper47
    Firehouse.com Guest

Yeah, see, my gripe is that the closest fire station to my house is in the next town over, as I live almost on the border, and they are a combo dept, but I was told you have to live in the township....but such is life.

NCRSQ751
    Firehouse.com Guest

My fire department requires you live within the district or have permission from the fire chief of the district you live in to join.

My rescue squad does not have a specific requirement since we cover the whole county. We judge each application based on reasonable proximity. If you live so far away you won't get to calls there is no point in accepting you, but if you are just over the county line in one direction, you may be closer than someone within the county in the other. We try to let common sense be our guide.

------------------
    Susan Bednar
    Forsyth Rescue Squad (Chief)
    NCTF-1
    Griffith Volunteer FD

Lightbulb

basically, if you were new to the fire service in my town, you'd need to live there for over 1 year before being accepted into membership. if you were moving to my town and had vollied there or somewheres else for however long, and had correspondence sent from previos 'employers' stating , . . . you were ok, then we'd wave the residency. After getting off probation, you can move to adjoining towns and be an active non-resident member, as long as there wasn't more than 10% of the active membership doing it, otherwise you'd have to resign.

there are other requirements regarding running for officer, or commissioner, but that's basically you having to hace X-amount of yrs. in the company, and living IN TOWN.

MembersZone Subscriber

For my department you have to live within our Township or within a 1 mile radius of the station. They dropped the Township residents only restriction years ago to increase membership.
    Aprox. 60% of our members live outside the Township.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Our dept only requires that all Fire Line officers MUST live in the district. This is for response issues and being readily available. No-one has ever had an issue with this.

No requirements for general members. We even have a few that live over two hours away. Basically Social type members that come in on the weekend to run calls, etc.
    These views/ opinions are my own and not those of my employer/ department.

Digging in the attic and found this thread.... hope no one smacks me for dredging up an oldie, but at least I didn't start a new topic.....

I have jettisoned the bylaws committee - I have found it easier to be the committee alone, lol - and am preparing to write up some bylaws changes for review by the membership.

One request: Better defined residency requirements

Our current requirements are pretty lax, the bylaws state: "Applicant must reside within a close proximity of the Fire Department"

Background: We are a volunteer department serving 2,500 out of two stations covering 34 square miles.

Some members want to keep people who live too far away to be much use to us from taking up valuable roster spots, and we also have a couple of people who have moved a pretty significant distance from either station, and we don't see much of them though they still carry expensive gear, pagers, are insured, etc.... The concern is that the bylaws do not have enough teeth to stand up to a challenge if we want to free up some roster spots for new members who can/will actually contribute.

Some people have pointed out the discrimination angle based on physical location: The rule is that the allowable distance for members to live from either fire station should be equal to the point in the district that is as far as possible from both stations. That point in our district happens to be eight miles thanks to goofy roads, and if you traveled eight miles into the neighboring city career fire district you could pass three of their stations (including downtown headquarters) before traveling eight miles!

Hmmmmmmm.

I am seeking guidance on a friendly way to do residency requirements in the best interests of the fire department but keep the distance limits reasonable, something easy to define and enforce, something that will stand up to challenges. In short, a miracle would be really great right about now, lol. This is a department-sought rule, not a township-requested rule.

If you are on a volunteer fire department (or POC/combo) and have defined residency requirements that seem to work well, please provide the text from your bylaws/policies, or summarize them.... I need a starting point to see if I can kluge something together.

Thanks in advance.
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    - - - - - -
    I A C O J

we simply added "and a resident of Point Pleasant Beach or the contiguous communities". We're in a small enough area that if you are in one of the neighboring towns, you can still make most calls in a reasonable amount of time (won't make any trucks, but still help at scene).
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

ours clearly says you have to live within the City limits............
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

In my station our rule is any county that is netx to our county because we are fire and ems.

Our policy states live in our town or have a significant interest. Most of our members don't live in our town. Most of us have moved away but still volunteer, or we have towns around us that are paid so people volunteer in our town.
    Adam, EMT-B

Ours is little lacks. Have to live in the township, be a business owner in the township, or with in the 3mile radius of the station. Can not we two coverage areaís out. ( We have the an area where two departments are with in 2 mile stretch.) And the Chief of the department in the area that if, said member would live if out side the township would have to ok. I do not live in the township of the fire department I am on. However I am 2 miles from the fire department I am on, opposed to the 5 Ĺ miles of the fire department that is in the township I live in.
    Training does not make perfect. Training makes permanent!

IACOJ probie

Forum Member

My fire co. requires that line officers live in the first-run district. I think we've had a few officers that may have resided just outside our dept. lines, in a township without a fire co (3 other FD's cover the township). There has never been an issue, and the officers always ran the required calls to stay "active."

The ambulance Co. will let anyone join - you run from the station anyway. However, only the "senior" shift Volunteer leaders, some of the paid staff, are issued pagers if they live outside of the territory. Inside the 1st run, "active" primary (Driver or EMT) members are usually given a pager if they want one. We have 2 crews on station 24x7, and 5 BLS ambulances. Crew's come from home, (or are members on station working out or checking email) to get rigs 3, 4, and 5 for calls if needed - this occurs maybe 1-2x a week.

Jon

Forum Member

Our rules are that if you don't make 20% of the years total calls your out...I mean yeah, if you live in colorado and make 20% of the calls in portage county, your still on, but usually the ones that make 20% live close enough to SAFELY respond to the station in time to be of use.
    This we do so others may live

It's easier for us to allow anybody in, because we are always at the squad house. We don't respond from home.
    Adam, EMT-B

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ElChup175
    Our rules are that if you don't make 20% of the years total calls your out...I mean yeah, if you live in colorado and make 20% of the calls in portage county, your still on, but usually the ones that make 20% live close enough to SAFELY respond to the station in time to be of use.
    wow... didn't realize there were any of those left here. both departments i'm on give you a radius from the center of the township (4 miles i think) that you need to live in. my primary department has had to decline the applications of atleast 2 people because of the rule.
    the motto of every midnight shift dispatcher - "I'm up - You're up"

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by daysleeper47
    Hey folks, just wondering if your fire companies or departments had any residency requirement saying you have to live in the town to be a member. In the Youngstown-area, while Youngstown is paid, there are several volunteer companies and the policies differ. What are your requirements?
    ------------------
    Joe
    Daysleeper47
    "When the bell goes ding-ding, its time to get on the woo-woo."
    "Dusting desire - starting to learn. Walking through fire with out a burn..."
    Youngstown Fire Department
    We require members to live within the taxing district.
    The only exception is if we have someone that has a business in town and can respond during the DAY, residency is waived.
    Getting coverage is the issue.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ptfd19
    wow... didn't realize there were any of those left here. both departments i'm on give you a radius from the center of the township (4 miles i think) that you need to live in. my primary department has had to decline the applications of atleast 2 people because of the rule.
    Yeah, the depts down your way have radius requirements...ran into that issue a little while ago...I live outside the radius of one department, and the argument was "if your coming that far we are better off calling your department as mutual aid and you respond that way" the only issue I had with that argument is that department doesn't mutual aid with my department at all, and we are neighbors, but we have "the bridge" which is ODOT limited to 10 tons, can't get an apparatus over it but I can get my vehicle over it and be to the station in under 7 mins. Which I pointed out several times and somehow that part got ignored. I agree more with the "you don't make 20% your done" as compared to circles on a map, because sometimes you can get to the station faster living 7 miles away and outside the cirlce as compared to someone who lives 4 miles away in the cirlcle...depends on the way the roads are set up...oh well
    This we do so others may live

Thread Information