Default Demotion of Maryland volunteers

Just curious how others may feel about this. I read the article on the firehouse website, so that's the only details I have. Do you agree or disagree? Feel it's justified? Thinks its Fair? etc.

Forum Member

I personally think it's ridiculous that officers are only responding to 10-50 runs a year.

Forum Member

I may be out of line but gotta agree with spoOK. There is a reason someone is a "line officer". I wouldn't expect a Chief of DC to make all the little calls but the bigger calls I would expect them there. As a Captain I am expected to make the call. As a paid per call officer my crews expect me to respond, unless I'm away on business or vacation then my Luetenant steps up. As line officers we are expected to maintain 90% attendance at all trainings and meetings.

I accepted my post and the duties / responciblities and time commitments associated with the posting. I am expected to set an example for my crews and community.

The other thing to remember is that my wife and family also accepted my rank. I never would have accepted the rank without thier blessing and support. When you volenteer to be in the service your family just signed on also. Its a job not to be taken lightly.

Thanks for the replies. I totally agree, 100%. I was just curious how others felt. Also, Cap22, its important that you mention your family. My family, as well as all volunteers give so much, just so we can do what we do. Good point you made. Thanks again for your replies.

I feel that each volunteer company should police itself. The chief and president should know which officers are performing and treat them accordingly. If they do their job well, praise them and if they don't, light a fire under them. If that doesn't work replace them with someone who will get the job done. The county fd shouldn't have to get involved if the local leadership is handling things. Take care and be safe.
    Phil Clinard
    Laurel VFD
    Prince George's Co Sta 10
    Laurel, MD
    www.laurelvfd.org

As an officer, how can you keep your team motivated when you don't have to respond?

I agree with Philip on this one. Each department should police its self. If the chief cant make a decision without the county trying to change it, then what power does he really have? As for those officers, from what little I've heard it doesnt sound like they really cared about being officers anyway. In my department I've always felt that if you dont put forth more effort than the average volunteer, then you dont deserve to be an officer. If they wont get up and run the calls, give there title to someone who will. Off my soap box now...
    J. Adam Berry
    Deputy Chief
    Griffith Fire Department

T. BARRECA, JR
    Firehouse.com Guest

If you want to be an OFFICER then you need to accept the duties that go along with that office.

WE had an Asst. Chief who just stopped comming to calls, drills, and anyother call. His excuse was that he was saving himself for the BIG ONE (BULL S---T).

It took the rest of the Officers myself included almost a year and a half to get the Chief to releave him of his duties. Didn't want to rock the boat because this Asst. is a friend.

The final straw was when the chief was talking to new firefighters. He was telling them who the line officers were the young bucks who were in the department for a year or less asked who this Asst Chief was. They had never seen him!

The message finely hit home.

He was replaced.

If you want the BUGLES then you have to be willing to do the JOB.

Take care out there.

T. Barreca
    Asst. Fire Chief
    Norco Area Vol Fire Dept.

Thread Information