Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Oil on the road from the Primer

An issue in my department is that our primer pump on our old pumper used to drop oil onto the ground. Some residents dislike the stains it left on the pavement, most notably near a pond in a rather expensive section of our district that we draft from on occasion.

Now that our new Rescue/pumper has come in, and we are having the same problems. The way I see it, we have three options:

1. Carry a catch basin to catch the oil before it hits the road.
    2. Rig up an over-flow container
    or
    3. Spend the money to have an oil-less primer put on the vehicle.

Any other suggestions?
    "No one ever called the Fire Department for doing something smart..."

Tell the public to quit their whinin and be happy that you are risking your life to try and save theirs

Firefighter26, your new Rescue/Pumper should be delivered with a prime pump that uses biodegradable oil. Many of the pump manufacturers have switched to a corn oil or equivalent to cooking oil in their prime pumps for the reason you just mentioned. Check with your apparatus manufacturer to double check but I'm almost positive any prime pump oil is supposed to biodegradable.

Your prime pump shouldn't be spitting out that much prime oil. Maybe an ounce or two is normal but anything more than that is a serious problem. If you can purchase some oil absorbent pads, put a couple under the truck before drafting. You can put some speedy-dry or oil absorbent underneath to catch the oil also. Put the stuff down before you start priming and there shouldn't be any stains on the ground.

Peace and stay safe

Engine/Rescue Lt. Kevin C. (aka Pokey)

I was thinking like Pokey...most new trucks I think are bio-oil.

But heck, when you leave the station, grab a oil-catch basin like you change your car oil with -- I think they're about $20 at Wal-Mart. I'd think that would catch most of the oil.

Only problem is you might wash it (or pads) away a couple times a night during pump training. But if it keeps the neighbors happy...I wouldn't worry during an actual fire, but for a routine drill, no need to p*ss em off!
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

Our Dept uses R.V Antifreeze.It is better for the enviroment because it's not toxic to animals.Check with your local R.V. dealer for more info

Colwood, eh..... it would have been faster if you just drove up the road to tell me that. (was evolutions good to you?)

Anyway, I am sure that our Primer pump uses Bio-oil. Our older unit did. I will check the manual to make sure. Until then, we have decided to carry some absorbent pads and just drop them under the drain. Because we have NO hydrents, we do a lot of drafting. I still think it might be worth the expense to have an oil-less unit put on and do away with the problem permenently.

[ 08-07-2001: Message edited by: firefighter26 ]

[ 08-07-2001: Message edited by: firefighter26 ]
    "No one ever called the Fire Department for doing something smart..."

Thread Information